• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m813 over the road reliability

moose

A 5 ton is deffinitly the truck that I want to start with. After doing some more investigating, a m928a2 seems like the best starting point. The 8.3 Cummins has more flexibility and aftermarket support than the 250. On a side note, do any of you know if the Cummins IST 8.3 that comes in motorhomes and civilian trucks, the same as the Cummins 8.3 that comes in the m925, 927, and 928? If it is the same motor, then there are tons of engine upgrades and transmissions
that will work in this truck. The Allison trans that comes in the truck seems like a great trans that can be upgraded to match the increased power available in the motor. The Cummins 8.3 comes from the factory with 3 different power tunes available(250, 330, and 400). Pretty cool as long as the trans is upgraded with the motor to safely match the increased power output. Lots more research to do, and the cost of a 928 is obviously going to be a lot more up front than that of a m813.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
On a side note, do any of you know if the Cummins IST 8.3 that comes in motorhomes and civilian trucks, the same as the Cummins 8.3 that comes in the m925, 927, and 928? If it is the same motor, then there are tons of engine upgrades and transmissions that will work in this truck. The Allison trans that comes in the truck seems like a great trans that can be upgraded to match the increased power available in the motor. The Cummins 8.3 comes from the factory with 3 different power tunes available(250, 330, and 400). Pretty cool as long as the trans is upgraded with the motor to safely match the increased power output. Lots more research to do, and the cost of a 928 is obviously going to be a lot more up front than that of a m813.
Will Wagner is the person who needs to answer that.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could buy 3 M813's for what a M928 will run you. I tried, and had to quit at $11,500. The 900 series trucks are prime bait for resellers overseas.

rnrracing

I found this thread to be the most interesting one I have read so far. I am very interested in what you do moose. I too want almost the same thing you do. I need to haul my 28 foot toyhauler with a 2200 lb sandrail inside so it weighs in at about 11000 fully loaded and I want to take down three quads. I would be ok at 60mph. I had a duece and it pulled and stopped the trailer just fine but I would like the power steering and a heater and the CTIS if it would stay working. I am looking at getting a M35A3 or maybe some kind of 5 ton. I just started looking and would love to find out what you guys think about using the M35A3 for this purpose? also my objective would be to make a extended cab out of what ever truck I get because I still have to get the wife and kids to the dunes with me. I travel between 100 and 200 miles to the dunes.

466Navastar

"You could buy 3 M813's for what a M928 will run you. I tried, and had to quit at $11,500. The 900 series trucks are prime bait for resellers overseas"

I thought trucks bought thru GL couldnt be sold overseas----isnt that the purpose of the dreaded EUC ?

Im very confused as to what the purpose of EUC is - other than to give the guard units time to pick over the trucks we buy before we get cleared to pick them up.....wouldnt it make more sense to clear people ahead of time - thus----pre-qualifying them to bid----then they could go get their purchase when they purchased it......as it is now you wait - and life goes on----may not be a good time for the purchaser to go get it when things are cleared & purchaser has that "generous" 10 days to go get it..... ...............just say'in

moose

rnrracing, I think that we are really on the same page, except that you want to fit the rail inside the trailer, and put the quads in the bed, and I want to do the opposite. I want to put the rail in the bed and all the other stuff in the trailer. Lots of firewood, and gas cans would also go in the bed. You are planning on doing this with a duece and I want a 5 ton. I have driven both the duece and an 818, which leads me to the 5 ton for the extra payload and added features of the 5 tons.
EMD made the point that the newer 5-tons are more expensive and harder to find. This seems to be true. This is a side-effect that I had not anticipated and can deal with, but the extra purchase cost will come out of my modification budget. No final decission has been made, and I am still looking at the options.
Thanks to al for the input and guidance.

wbdodgeiv

I dont know about you guys, but in my deuce going 60 mph on 395's wallowing around to follow every rut and crevice in the road, with its inherently shady brakes, no power, funny smells, the noise, the wind, etc. 60 feels like I am flying.

I have to say it is a very different experience making a long trip in a MV. Everyone passes you, you aren't in a hurry (as you can't be). Instead of worrying about when you get there, it's hoping you get there.

I'd look for a used International step-framed 6x6. This is the standard chassis that the utility companies mount equipment to. Then you get air locking axles, 8ll or a fuller 10spd and 350 min hp. AC, radio, quiet, air seat. Paint it green with a star on the door and make as many 900 mi trips as you can afford.

jasonjc

The 939 sries 5 ton come with full air brakes and some if not most have anti-lock brakes as well so that would save alot of work and $$$. They also have a bigger cab to start with also.2cents

moose

Jasonjc, thank you. That is exactly the type of info that I am looking for. I am at the point where I am doing my research and trying to find the best mv starting point to fit my needs. I look forward to working on the truck(this is not my first automotive project but is the first mv and vehicle of this size) My goal is to balance the original purchase price of the vehicle with the cost of the mods that I will want to do.
Wbdodge, I do not want a civilian vehicle. It may be an easier way to start, but would not be as fun for me and would not be what I want. I appreciate your input, but that is not the direction I want to go.
I recently saw that Eastern Surplus( I know nothing about this co. as I have not dealt with them) is modifying an m813 into a crewcab with a Cummins 8.3 and an Allison trans for a customer. I thought that this was an interesting idea and a great example of creative modifications to meet the desires of their customer.
Anyways, thanks to all for your input and keep it coming. I value all of it, even if it is now the direction I end up going it is always good to hear different ideas.

rnrracing

moose, I would not rule out a 5 ton for me but I don't know enough about them. I am reading about them and trying to find out what would fit my needs better. there seems to be alot more different types of 5 tons, with different motors and trannys. I just need to do some more research.

rnrracing

jasonjc,
thanks i read that thread and some others also. it does look like a 900 series truck would fit my needs better. but it sounds like there was a differece betwwen the USMC trucks are different than a normal one. if anyone knows about this could you please give me some info on it.

jasonjc

There is no M900 series

M915 series 4X6 and 6X6 includes M915,M916,M917,M919,M920

M939 series 6X6 5 ton

M977 series 8X8 HEMTT

M998 series 4X4 HMMWV

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgreg
I love my M813A1 and I like my 16.00-20s, but I would not want to use it as you intend. I max out at 67mph, on the freeway. And that is pushing the truck hard. I don't think the Mil-surplus tires are rated for more than 50 or 55mph.
Every trip in these trucks is an adventure, for good or bad. I would not want to have my weekend plans messed up with a repair or breakdown.
A lot of people like to drive/ride these trucks for a short distance, but the long trips are enjoyed mostly by a few select wackos.
I would go any distance for a Military Vehicle Event, but I would find an alternative method for just transportation. (even with every mod listed)

Dang, now I'm a wacko! I've so many titles, I can't remember them all.
Dang, now I'm a wacko! I've so many titles, I can't remember them all.
Yeah what's his problemo?
>17K highway miles in an M35 and a 1000mile run at 12 degrees F. in an M818 with a bad PT pump and starter for me.
I guess I am a wacko as well. Just flirting with disaster, caution to the wind..

But look at it this way, we are -select- wackos, not to be cornfused by the common rabble with the common rabble.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/58387-serious-discussion-5-ton-speed-increase-via-gearing-transmission-differential.html#post679068

It is the from the group of select wackos BTW that come the spin on filters, home made prelubers, data and pictures of swaps and total builds, and other various small and large improvements and conveniences. I think he was trying to call you a Diesel Fitter.

Last edited:

jaxsof

Moose, The 8.3 Cummins is just an 8.3 Cummins. All the toys fit each other. And the Marine 813s had lockers, the Army ones (mostly) didn't. I dont kow about the 916s, I believe, except for the Allison, and they are all the same. May be the manufacturers. Some made by Freightliner, some by AMG.

davidkroberts

as fuel is increasing in price most commercial vehicles will get turned back to 55-60 anyway. Just jump in with the rest of the big trucks and save yourself some fuel, wear and tear, and a definite pucker factor. Going fast in a MV tends to scare me to death anyway. You arent getting there any faster at 65 than you are at 60 when it comes to actual road time..... just sit back and relax you will get there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks