• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m813 performance

deess

any advice on boosting the horsepower on my 813.seems like it should out pull my deuce.but it pulls the same as my deuce if not poorer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
but it pulls the same as my deuce if not poorer.
There are a couple of reasons your 813 is slower than a deuce.

The main factor is weight....the 813 weighs 22,500 empty a deuce is about 12,500.

The deuce multi-fuel is turbo-charged (mostly to pacify the anti-smoggers) and that adds a lot of air to the mix.

The 5 ton is also gear bound.....it will run about 54 MPH at 1900 RPM....downhill, in neutral with a strong tailwind.

Add a heavy load and it is a long pull to top end. If you think the cargo is slow........drive a 36,000 pound wrecker.

First check the fuel and air filters........that big diesel needs plenty of both to run.

I would highly recommend changing out the stock cannister filter for a screw on with a drain....the stock replacement cannister
filter is over 50 bucks at NAPA.....a spin on base and filter cost me a little over 80. Replacement filters are cheap compared to
the stock one.

Find a good old fashioned "Diesel Doctor" that knows Cummins engines. Stay away from modern truck shops and their high labor
rate....look for loggers or rock haulers using the old equipment.

Chances are he will know how to set up the fuel pump or know a pump guy that does. Have it turned up to 2300 RPM but make
sure you put in a pyrometer. If you keep your foot in the fuel in a hard pull you can melt down a piston.....ask me how I know.

A 5 ton is never gonna out pull a deuce.....been there, tried that in the Army.

Good luck with your beast.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hmmm...i must have an exceptional M813. She will put any deuce to shame IMO...and she has not been monkeyed with by any logger or shade tree diesel mech.
When we roll the 5tons to events etc...the deuces are the "slow down" trucks...at least that's our experience.

Reactions: emr

rorybellows

ya, make friends with your local ma and pa diesel shop. not the t/a sown by the freeway. get to know them, let em work on your rig a few times, then ask the owner/shop foreman if he can turn or put a different button (for the cummins) in yer pump. under the table of course

deess

well maybe my 813 is fine.it pulled my deuce on the towbar at about 50 mph. while my1093 pulled it at 55 and 60 mph with the pump turned up.by what your telling me it must be running normal.any opinions on adding a turbo?any one have any pics of a 5 ton with a turbo?what about a complete parts list? thanks for all the help and opinions.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I wonder if he had it in LOW RANGE...should have dragged that civy truck all over that parking lot.....I'd have come off the clutch in LOW RANGE 3nd gear at about 1300 RPM and snacthed a knot in his ass.

R 2 5
1 3 4

Last edited:

LanceRobson

Maybe the thing to look at to make use of additional fuel would be to up the size of the air cleaner CFM and ducting to help cut airflow restriction. The black smoke=unburned fuel=higher EGTs and wasted fuel.

Reducing the air restriction would get more air into each piston stroke and burn more of the fuel, reduce the EGT and give more power, particularly above 1,500 RPM(?)

Does anyone know the CFM rating and outlet diameter of the stock M809 series air cleaner?

Since the EUC has not come back for my first M813A1 I don't have one to look at. Does anyone know the diameter and length of the air filter canister?

Has anyone measured the air restriction in the intake duct?

Lastly, has anyone switched to higher flow injectors?

Lance

poppop

Off topic but for the ones that might not know that video was bigcases Duece that someone torched last week.

On topic my 813 must be one of the strong ones because it is stronger that my Duece.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

I agree with WM on the video,I had a fellow wanto to hook to my deuce years ago,granted mine is stock(dual 900 x20s) and I was pulling against a F350 with a lift and 38 in tall tires.

I let him burn tires for a few seconds while I sat still,then I pulled him backwards in low range,second gear at about 1500 rpm.

He had to have his transmission rebuilt a few weeks later.....

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could not watch the video. It seems youtube or who have you is constantly demanding more and more bandwidth and bloating up the files. I could watch it if I could download it, but the old PC isnot up to playing it -and- simultaneously running all the other bazillion garbage scripts and junk on that site and the browser load itself. There was a site that helped download those things, vixy.net, but it does not seem to work now, there is no audio when it does.

emr

gee I have to try this, I would have bet money my 813 would rip my deuce, they are geared so much higher , aren't they, with all that hop when one needs a slow pull, it takes practice to use a deuce in a slow pull...

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well maybe my 813 is fine.it pulled my deuce on the towbar at about 50 mph. while my1093 pulled it at 55 and 60 mph with the pump turned up.by what your telling me it must be running normal.any opinions on adding a turbo?any one have any pics of a 5 ton with a turbo?what about a complete parts list? thanks for all the help and opinions.
Turbo yes but from there you should in increase fuel and lines.

It's been said if for any reason you don't think the 250 has much then get your p/t rebuilt. Keep rpm same add 10lb. to rail. Could be more tricks just have to ask and you will receive a good running 250. Keep it fresh and run the truck once a month on the street to bring everything to temp. and add something for 4 points ctain and lube. Mix like the instructions say and then go play.

Heck I agree if you going to go that far I too would change out the can fuel filter for new remote and good spin on with water drain.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks