• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m813 performance

dk8019

I've always found my 814 to be slower than my Deuce, I always attributed it to the weight of the truck. The ratios however, based on name plates don't work out. The MF is good for what, 110HP, and the Cummins was suppose to be good for 250HP, correct? By my math:

Deuce = 17 HP Per Ton
M814 = 21 HP Per Ton

So the 5-ton should be faster, right? My issue seems to be the gearing and the lower red line. There's quite a bit more top end on the Deuce, say 500 RPMs, which is about 20% more, which let's you stay in 3rd long enough to get 4th close to where it needs to be. The 5-tons 3rd-4th shift is awful, especially on anything with an incline.

Earth

The M818 has a stupid mess of rubber hoses at the tank selector valve. I have 2 of them, and they both needed to have these hoses switched out. Big Big difference in performance. Certainly less technical than IP tuneups, but a necessary starting point. If the 5 ton cargo has the 2 tanks and the selector valve, start there!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no, there is no direct bolt on setup like the oil filter. the fuel filter is very good, very large to handle a lot of crap before needing to be swapped and is easily available. so no real need to change.

I have found most of the cans have rust that is why I say to change but you could burn it out or sand blast.