• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 re-power underway!

TheBuggyman

I've talked about it for a while and here it begins. This will be a long term project with updates along the way so stay tuned! I purchased this engine last Friday, it is a Cummins NTC-350. I pick it up Monday and it will be taken to Diesel Injection of Pittsburgh for a 425HP upgrade and some dyno testing. I had an option of a 475HP upgrade but that may be a little much.........

I don't know if it will be at Aberdeen this year but it WILL be there next year. With the bambino on the way I'm sure that my free time will be a little less than what I am used to.

Here are a few pics, more to follow!

Attachments

Last edited:

TheBuggyman

That will make er snort! What gear box have you got in mind?
Dave,
I've kicked around many options but right now I'm going to stick with stock. If I drive it right it will last. My dual PTO comes off of the stock tranny for the winch and dump and I would hate to have to change that all around too.......
I'll see how some of the other conversions are going with the tranny swap and by the time I have to re-do the truck again I may be up for doing that phase. After all, I'm not hauling with it, I just don't want to slow down on hills anymore. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the diesel guys are going to set me up for 2400 rpm, that'll give her a little more on the top.

LanceRobson

If you don't mind; how many hour or miles on the engine and what did it set you back?

Does anyone know of a site that might tabulate the dimensions of the Cummins engines so as to compare what will fit in place of the 250?

Thanks

Lance

garp

Whether it is a 250 or a 475 has nothing to do with physical dimensions externally. They are all 855 cu in. engines. Same block, heads and manifoilds etc.

TheBuggyman

Garp,
Thanks for all of your help on that 3406, it was well worth the money but I didn't want to have to source up all of the little parts to make it work. This will be more of a bolt in for me, time is a luxury that I cannot afford! I think that I have to use the pan off of the 250 (rear sump) to clear the front axle, do all of the parts interchange between the two engines? ( the 350 is front sump)

Eddie

Last edited:

TheBuggyman

If you don't mind; how many hour or miles on the engine and what did it set you back?

Does anyone know of a site that might tabulate the dimensions of the Cummins engines so as to compare what will fit in place of the 250?

Thanks

Lance
Lance,
This engine is a Cummins recon with 212k on the clock. The truck that it was in had an incident and is being parted out. The guy I'm getting it from has it ready to run for me and then we'll inspect what we can easily. $3500 cash for the whole nine yards.

Eddie

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, everything will bolt up, pan included. Leave the oil cooler on the engie you aer using. The fan drive will swap over and the linkage for the throttle will be very close to what the old engine was. What are you gonna do to cool all that HP? The 350 will be quieter snice it runs thru a turbo...a muffler in essence.

jwaller

I hope you got a hood mod kit to go with it too. you are going to need about 6 more inches esp if you put the jakes on it.

StreetbikeDepot

Hopefully this one will go faster than the other swap on the board, I'm anxious to see someone actually finish a swap so I can do one.
:ditto:

I'm ready to see some of these projects finished. So far there is a turbo install and two motor swaps in the works but not done, or at least no progress reports.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you get the correct brakes. A single entry turbo takes a different autolash screw than a dual entry. Mix them up and you can break things.

No.2Diesel

Thats awesome buggyman! The race is on!:wink: Thats a great price too! Its too bad you bought that one, I have the same exact motor behind the barn for sale:p. (see photo)

I am happy that you went with a Cummins as it will be much easier overall. I still question the clamping ability of the stock single disc clutch with its little pads of friction material to withstand twice the torque load.

You'll find that the guys from Pittsburgh Power know there stuff. They build some serious packages. We purchased the Dual fuel line and filter kit to make 425.

Addressing the PTO situation: The spicer 6453 uses a PTO that has:
-Helical drive gear
-19 teeth on the drive gear
-17.5° pressure angle
-Gear pitch of 6

On the other hand however the Fuller Roadranger requires a PTO that has:
-45 tooth drive gear
-20° pressure angle
-6 pitch

So............ we're sourcing a RH pto for our application.

Any questions Buggyman just ask. Good luck. We are currently putting the tranny and engine together over the christmas/new year's.

"Hopefully this one will go faster"......."I'm ready to see some of these projects finished"

Boy everyone seeks instant gratification around here:wink: Snap those fingers:-D Simma down now ya hear:p

Attachments

TheBuggyman

Hey Eddie,
Let me know if you need any help, I'm just up the road. While your at it you can hop up My M813 also.
Karl
Hey Karl!
I will be calling you, I'll need all of the help I can get. As for the rest of you, I'll answer questions tonight and post a few more pics of the engine in the back of my 3/4 ton Dodge.

No.2 will finish before me, no question as I won't really start this swap until early Spring!:cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks