• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 5 Ton Medium Wrecker

M35A2

Ok guys, I have finally been sent some photo's of the wrecker that has been advertised. They aren't all that great. Can you wrecker experts cast your eyes over the pictures and let me know what you think? Does everything look like it is all there? What engines do these have in them? I notice a big silencer, is this an add on?

He must be selling his whole collection, as he has got two M817 dumpers for sale too. One with winch and one without.

I AM IN LOVE................ :shock: :) :drool: :drool: :drool:

Attachments

M35A2

Just called this guy. He has got the M816 medium wrecker, 2x M817 Dumpers and a 5 ton longbed cargo with winch for sale. He said he is selling them due to ill health, and he sounded ill too.

The wrecker has a cummins engine fitted. What do these truck do to the gallon? He wants around £7,500 for the wrecker, £6,500 for the cargo and £6000 for the dumpers. Oh, and a Green Godess fire engine for £3750. He has more stuff he is hanging onto.

Elwenil

The wrecker looks pretty nice and mostly complete. I see the winch spades and the outrigger plates. Torch tanks are missing, but that's not a huge deal. Exhaust is changed obviously and the light bar on the cab is not stock. These sell in the US for anywhere from $10,000 to $26,000 in various states of repair.

M35A2

Elwenil said:
The wrecker looks pretty nice and mostly complete. I see the winch spades and the outrigger plates. Torch tanks are missing, but that's not a huge deal. Exhaust is changed obviously and the light bar on the cab is not stock. These sell in the US for anywhere from $10,000 to $26,000 in various states of repair.

Thanks Elwenil.

This wrecker sure looks very nice. Do you think the bumper markings are original? From the civilian registration it's registered as a 1968/9 truck.

what do you think, is it worth going to look at?

Desert Rat

Near as I can see (since the museum has one too) is the gas torch tanks are missing like Elwenil said. Other than that the price is a good one. The Cummins is a very relyable engine! Fuel consumption on these will be around 4 - 6 mpg. Remember, they are not aerodynamic in any way so forget anything over 7 mpg when looking at anything larger than a Deuce. The markings appear to be original to the truck. This one is well maintained as evidenced by the new exhaust system AND the fact she's been garaged and kept out of the elements. This owner has pride. I definitely recommend this wrecker if you're not too concerned about fuel costs and want to pull off-roaders out of a sticky situation (along with a camera to "prove" she can do it much to the embarrasment of said unfortunate off-roader). The front tires are not cupped either. This means she's got a good front end alignment and appears to be a safe truck to drive. This saves a bunch of $$$ down the road (sorry my library computer doesn't have a Euros or Pounds key other than #).

M35A2

Desert Rat said:
Near as I can see (since the museum has one too) is the gas torch tanks are missing like Elwenil said. Other than that the price is a good one. The Cummins is a very relyable engine! Fuel consumption on these will be around 4 - 6 mpg. Remember, they are not aerodynamic in any way so forget anything over 7 mpg when looking at anything larger than a Deuce. The markings appear to be original to the truck. This one is well maintained as evidenced by the new exhaust system AND the fact she's been garaged and kept out of the elements. This owner has pride. I definitely recommend this wrecker if you're not too concerned about fuel costs and want to pull off-roaders out of a sticky situation (along with a camera to "prove" she can do it much to the embarrasment of said unfortunate off-roader). The front tires are not cupped either. This means she's got a good front end alignment and appears to be a safe truck to drive. This saves a bunch of $$$ down the road (sorry my library computer doesn't have a Euros or Pounds key other than #).

Brent,

What do these wreckers weigh and what type of cummins engine would it have in it? I saw one of these for sale about 3 months ago. It was going for £9,500. I can't believe how original this truck looks. The bumper markings on the dumper look original too. He has a long bed 5 ton cargo for sale too. I think I am going to call him tomorrow and drive up to Evesham (Worcestershire) to have a look at everything he has got for sale. This wrecker wont hang around I can tell you. I am going to bankrupt myself if I bought it. I think that the value would only go up and not down. What do you think? How much do you think it would go for in the states?

Desert Rat

M35,

The wreckers weigh about 12 tonnes or so (give or take a tonne or two). The Cummins is the trusty 250 naturally aspirated engine. You can put a turbo on it and bump the HP up to 290 or so, but you would need to adjust the timing and fuel pump and so on. They usually command about $15K to $25K depending upon condition. I can get two from the GSA for $8K here but need some work. If you get it hang your shingle out to do some towing/recovery (a.k.a. Kenny Recovry 4X4) work. The extra cash sure can come in handy! I love working trucks (i.e. working the way they should and earning their owners an income too!)! If I had the money I'd be getting it!

Hookin1

That is a good looking truck. :) Like everyone else noticed the torch tanks.......the light on top could have been put on buy the military?not sure have seen some that have civilian style lights on them....the muffler is standard on those trucks and in the correct spot.That is a really nice unit,the only other thing i see is a sign of seeping hydraulic fluid around the winch on the boom.nothing new seals and gaskets won't fix.

If I could i would buy it (if it where in the states) but of course right now can't afford it :(

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, I like it. Only ever really fooled with one 816. The torch tanks are unique to the wrecker and the purist can tell the difference. Other than that looks like a nice, make that real nice, truck. In the PS section there is one dealing with the M543A2 and gives you a list of all the stuff the wrecker comes with. For basics check for a towbar kit with axle clamps, extra snatch blocks and the wiffle tree. Cabell Garbee has a pic on his site of a wiffle tree if you've never seen one, I'll try to find it. Other than that stuff, looks like a great find. 816 that nice looking around here would fetch $18,000 US. The truck weighs right at 33,000#.

M35A2

Thats a nice couple of photo's Kenny. The guy has a long bed 5 ton cargo. I will have a look at that also. The wrecker is a bit on the un-affordable side for me. I could buy it, but that would clean me out. I will call the guy tomorrow and see if I can get up on Thurs or Fri to have a look at it.

Andy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not trying to spend your money Andy but I'll share with you what I've learned. Once you have one of these, life without one becomes unimaginable. I say that and my truck is less than half of what that it. Wreckers aren't too good for parades though as seating is very limited. The 816 is quite a truck though.

2deuce

Great Pictures! Thank You
I've never seen a wiffle tree, let alone one in action. Does anyone have a picture of a complete tow bar, both ends of it. Thanks again. Greg

2deuce

Thanks to this thread I got a wiffle tree for my new M62. The prior owners had one for my truck but didn't know what it was and I didn't know what to ask for until I saw your pictures. I described it and they found it in storage and gave it to me. I've sure got lots to learn. I have the pins for it, but I can't tell what the pins hold on that attaches to the towed vehicle, those parts are missing. Does anyone have a picture? Thanks, Greg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pices on the truck are the stock lift shackles. The wiffle tree attaches right to them. Did I mention, I need a wiffletree?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks