• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 towing a M54A2

area52

So on Sat Nov 12th, I am going to attempt to bring home my long lost M54A2 from Trinidad CO. I have had bad luck with arranging transportation, so I am just going to try it myself with the M816.

I have been reading all the towing posts and the FM 20-22 manual. I am picking up some new chains and make up some air lines for the glad hands for the brakes

Plan is to leave Aztec early and head to Soni's place in Chama where the wrecker is, load up and head to Trinidad. Wife is following in my chase vehicle. I am going to flat tow it since my crane is not up to par yet.

If anyone feels kind enough to pm me your number so I can cry "Help" to somebody, I would appreciate it.

My only big concern is the tires on the wrecker, they are the standard 11.00 x20 NDT's. I hope there is no snow in the mountains!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Don't have a 1 ton pickup with a good gooseneck? or can rent a good gooseneck. Maybe rent a pintle hitch trailer? I have towed my 5 ton all over montana. getting a whole 6mpg.

Wade I have some 1100 20 mounted up some are NDT and some are civilian tires if you want to check them out they may or may not be better then some of the tires on your wrecker . you are welcome to them . I also have some duel Tire chains you can use .

123mack

The 816 should handle it. Here's one towing a M123.
[media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6960752491058668463[/media]#

jimmcld

I think the only problem you will have is with trying to get up to any sort of reasonable speed. A small hill will be a chalenge.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Use rubber bungee cords (tarp straps) to hold the steering wheel in the straight position......saves the problem of jumping out a repositioning them if you make a turn and the wheels try to go the opposite way.

Carry at least 20 gallons of extra fuel....the 816 is thristy under load and running the Cummins out of fuel on the side of the road ain't no joke. Never let the fuel level (using a stick to measure) get below 1/4 tank. Make sure you can switch tanks going down the road...the fuel selector switch is notorious for sucking air if the O-rings dry out.

Use low range and learn to split shift at least going up through the gears.

That big drop between gears is going to kick your arse.

Good Luck. Make lots of pics.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

AMGeneral

That was a long day driving a 816,even longer on the trip home!!
And that was the second time I towed a M123 home with a 816,I would not do it again ever!!

I will echo WM's statements,except I would say take an extra 50 gallons of fuel,2 extra fuel filters and a truck load of patience,an 816 will slow down 10 mph at the mere whisper of the word "hill" within 20 feet,and that's not towing anything behind it.

In that video,that M123 was without engine and trans,so it probably tipped the scales at about 22K lbs,a bit more than a M54.

Good Luck!!

area52

Wade I have some 1100 20 mounted up some are NDT and some are civilian tires if you want to check them out they may or may not be better then some of the tires on your wrecker . you are welcome to them . I also have some duel Tire chains you can use .

Kenny,

thanks for the offer, not sure if they (the tires) would fit in my chase vehicle up to Chama

thanks everyone for the advice. Not sure if I am gonna try this now or not. Calculating the fuel costs and "what ifs" that might happen, I think I might just get it moved to a storage place in Trinidad for the winter and bring the wrecker home from Chama.

IOnce I get used to the wrecker and get the bugs worked out, (and insurance and registration!), better tires on it also, then I might try to recover the M54A2.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
thanks everyone for the advice. Not sure if I am gonna try this now or not. Calculating the fuel costs and "what ifs" that might happen, I think I might just get it moved to a storage place in Trinidad for the winter and bring the wrecker home from Chama.

IOnce I get used to the wrecker and get the bugs worked out, (and insurance and registration!), better tires on it also, then I might try to recover the M54A2.
It is funny how a little more thought on a subject can get a clearer picture of the project, and in turn lot better decisions, just wish everybody did this, instead of DO IT NOW ATTITUDE

area52

Update:

I found a storage place for it in Trinidad CO and a wrecker to move it so that is one less thing I have to worry about. I am still going to pick up my M816 this weekend from Soni and bring it home.

thanks again everyone for the advice, maybe in spring when the snow is not that bad in the mountains.

area52

More update:

Got the wrecker home today about 4:30. Not too bad of a drive, weather cooperated, no snow.

Wrecker bounced alot until the tires rounded out and she ran better when everything was warmed up completely.

Did about 50-55 mph on the flats and slooooooow uphill!! Man you guys were not kidding about a dog on the hills. But its expected when you are 7500 feet above sea level.

Soni said he would help me recover the M54A2 so thats a relief. Maybe next month, depends on the $$ situation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks