• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 1,200 miles and home

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well We did it:
Christian my oldest son and I flew down to Baton Rouge on Monday and littleBob was very kind to take a day off and pick us up to take us to Timntrucks to pick up our M818. My Son aired up all the drive tires and Tim and his family had a great BBQ waiting for us to eat. Both Bob and Tim are awesome Steel Soldiers you have to meet if you can. We got a few other things checked out I mounted the plates and we took off in the late afternoon.

We filled up the single working tank at $3.79 a gallon the cheapest we found it on the whole trip right down the street from Tim's house. We drove on and one up till it got dark and I switched on the service drive lights and boogied. About and hour after dark the headlights started blinking and I noticed the charging gauge was in the middle of the yellow almost red so I stopped at the TA at MM106 in Missisippi and the guy there was kind enough to charge each of them after I seperated them from one another. This is the only thing we forgot to check was the charging voltage because the gauge was in the green when we left.

After we got charged up I headed into the night and in trying to make as many miles as possible I wound up driving hundreds of miles in the night with just parking lights and strobe light flashing the reflectors in the road to guide me by. We stopped at a rest area in Georgia about 0400 and I took a nap and so did Christian.

Woke up and headed out went fine all day with a little sqreaching from the clutch but it pulled fine drove all day yesterday (Tuesday) and when it got dark in Tennesee we headed to a hotel for some well needed rest. The truck got as high as 10 MPG when I ran it at 45 and about 8 MPG at 50. It was running at 2250 RPM at 50 MPH

This morning we woke before the sun and headed out arriving at home about noon. The tractor is already under the M127 and now the M52 Gasser if for sale for a good price

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great shots, Army, glad you made it back ok. I'd say your M818 got a heck of a shakedown cruise!

Wish you'd had more time to stop by, maybe next time.

:beer:

No.2Diesel

Nice upgrade from the Gasser [thumbzup] I don't know how you guys sleep in your trucks on road trips. Well I guess if your hungry enough you'll eat anything and if your tired enough you'll sleep anywhere!

The fact that you have the truck & trailer combo is really great. It may be a good thing that I only have .6 of an acre or I would have BIG trailers.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice going David and Christian! I'm gad you made it home safely! :wink:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
super road trip. glad that you made it with out to much hassle except gen trouble, at 1030 monday night i offered to drive to meet him and bring him anothe gen. but he said that its to far and to much trouble. glad he had a blast i really enjoyed meeting him , his son christan and little bob. we will see each other again for sure Tim

littlebob

Re: RE: M818 1,200 miles and home

timntrucks said:
super road trip. glad that you made it with out to much hassle except gen trouble, at 1030 monday night i offered to drive to meet him and bring him anothe gen. but he said that its to far and to much trouble. glad he had a blast i really enjoyed meeting him , his son christan and little bob. we will see each other again for sure Tim
Same here, I've never met nicer people. I've been concerned about them since they left, Thanks Doghead for putting a link on the other post Tim started.
littlebob

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Re: RE: M818 1,200 miles and home

David/Christian

Terrific news on getting home safely! Loved the pics as well. The Lord was good to you on the trip home. Enjoy the rest of your time with the family before you need to head back overseas! Ya'll are in my prayers.

Andy

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Thanks Friends, I can not emphasize enough what a great men Tim and Robert are. We certainly put the truck through it's trials driving almost nonstop except for the night in the hotel. It ran for hour after hour without skipping a beat. That Cummins engine is a workhorse. It was pulling us up the hills in Tennesee at 50 MPH without dropping RPM and only a fraction of an inch more pedal. Having two spring seats made it nicer but boy those cabs are small for two grown men doing such a long trip. I am thinking of making a sleeper cab above the spare and tool boxes that could be accessed by climbing out of the cheater window.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Re: RE: M818 1,200 miles and home

No.2Diesel said:
Nice upgrade from the Gasser [thumbzup] I don't know how you guys sleep in your trucks on road trips. Well I guess if your hungry enough you'll eat anything and if your tired enough you'll sleep anywhere!
Yep. It is a matter of getting acclimated. I slept under the water brakes for the forward catapults on an aircraft carrier. If you want to know what a catapult hitting the water brake sounds like, imagine someone standing on the floor above you, picking up a pallet as high as they can and then slamming it down as hard as they can.

I could fall asleep between cat shots and never notice them.

Armada

Great looking and running tractor you've got there David. Congrats on the trip! Thanks for the pics.