• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 24volt to 12volt trailer lights

jd-ford-hd

it is a 5 Circuit voltage reducer it probably would you would need something to control the electric brakes IE a brake controller if the 818 doesn't have a circuit for trailer brakes in the military style connector and that would be no big deal to wire in; you just need 12 volt in (from the reducer) and then the from the brake controller a wire in to a civi plug capable of powering electric brakes. you can ask jd ford hd if his plug for towing pintle trailers is capable of powering electric brakes.
I do not have provisions for electric brakes on this truck. Here is a picture of the only pintle trailer that I own and it has air brakes. My conversion is by far the cheapest of all mentioned here, but would not be my choice if I did need electric brakes. The relay method would be the way I would go.

Attachments

4trans

Just using a WAG, I think you are in the ballpark. The 80A version is definetly over kill. I would like to do the same thing, however, I would like a constant 12 Volts to keep my trailer batteries charged also while traveling.:idea:
i thing you can have constant 12volt if you ran constant on 24volt(hot with ignition on) to an extra circuit in the adapter then run the now constant on 12volt to the trailer or have it switched so you wouldn't waste electricity when you arent pulling a trailer. My two cents.

jwaller

is it any a 915 or 818 cause ive seen 915s advertised with civi and military hookups.

also does any one have an idea of how many amps total for the lighting (Stop,tail, turn,markers) that a trailer similar to jd fords uses? im thinking capital instruments might not know and then he wont know what models price to email me cause they don't post their prices
it is installed on a 932A2. it was added at the unit level. most the 915's and up have both vici and mil connectors but they are both 24V.

4trans

I do not have provisions for electric brakes on this truck. Here is a picture of the only pintle trailer that I own and it has air brakes. My conversion is by far the cheapest of all mentioned here, but would not be my choice if I did need electric brakes. The relay method would be the way I would go.
Ok thanks for straightening that out the pintle trailer plugs in to the 6 way connector mounted on the fender mount. gotcha BTW i probably wont have a response from Capital till sunday evening our time or if they have off for Labor day Monday evening our time

jd-ford-hd

You have a wire that's not connected to a resistor. What is that wire for?
Steelandcanvas is correct. This is the ground wire. Too many times a ground wire is omitted in truck to trailer pigtails in the hopes that grounding will be accomplished thru the fifth wheel, pintle hitch, trailer ball, etc. This almost always causes problems.

ross165123

So i tried to make the same boared as you for the lights on my horse trailer, well i got everything done went to check the voltage drop. Connected the board to the battery to with some jumpers. Then i took my volt meter and tested the other end of the resistors and it still came out at about 24 volts. Im no electriction and i cant figure out where i went wrong. Any advise would be awsome!

ross165123

Can you change the bulbs on the horse trailer to 24 volt ?
I can but that would be to easy. I was kinda do this just to have a project for fun. I did figure out tho why i wasnt getting any voltage drop. The resistors will take in 24v and send out 24v if there is no load on them. That is why its important to check how many amp load is guna be on each circuit. When you put the load on the resistor as in the lights then it will drop the voltage to say 12-14 volts if they are set up correctly.

jd-ford-hd

I can but that would be to easy. I was kinda do this just to have a project for fun. I did figure out tho why i wasnt getting any voltage drop. The resistors will take in 24v and send out 24v if there is no load on them. That is why its important to check how many amp load is guna be on each circuit. When you put the load on the resistor as in the lights then it will drop the voltage to say 12-14 volts if they are set up correctly.
Looks like you answered your own question..! You're right, the voltage is checked with the load applied. :D

ross165123

Yea I was about ready to pull my hair out. But eventually after burning one resistor up I figured it out. The board is so easy to make, you came up with such a great idea!

sandcobra164

Ran into this problem on my M1102 trailer. I tow it mostly with my M1028 which sends 12 volts to the lights. I occasionally pull it with my Deuce which sends 24 volts. The solution for me was not to re-invent the wheel but to switch lighting over to omnivolt LED's all around. I'll never advocate that as the cheapest solution but it does work.

ross165123

Well i am lucky that the tail lights (stop and turn signals) are LED already. But this being a horse trailer i dont know what else the lights are connected to say the lights by the horses witch are not LED or lights in the kitchen or bathroom. So i figure id have fun and make one of these.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks