• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 24volt to 12volt trailer lights

jd-ford-hd

I searched this forum more than once for the best method to pull civilian trailers with 12 volt lights. Never came up with ideas other than dead-end links, LED bulbs, 24volt relays and voltage convertors. This is what I did to get 12 volts to my trailers. If this setup has been thought of and posted on here before, I apologize to the individual in advance. I have six trailers that will be pulled with my M818 from the fifth wheel. None of them are military trailers. I dont think anyone should utilize this just because I did, I am just showing a simple and inexpensive alternative that works. I used the original trailer slave cable as a sacrificial cable to supply the current the resistor board. A replacement can be easily plugged in if the need to pull a military trailer exists.

This is the resistor used, available at O'reilly's001.jpg

Aluminum plate used for heat dissipation002.jpg

Mounted to the rack 003.jpg

Old slave cable visible with new cable attached005.jpg

For 12v pintle trailers a plug is added to rear fender mount008.jpg

Check voltage with load applied021.jpg

14.53 volts is close enough 020.jpg

Ammo can upside down to keep rain out keep air flow009.jpg

Almost looks like part of the truck painted!022.jpg

Three circuits plus ground are all that are needed for most trailers. Left turn, Right turn and marker/tail lights. Brake lights and turn signals are the same circuits.

Last edited:

tm america

i like the idea of using the resistors i used relays for my 24 to 12volt trailer set up .how much were the resistors.with the resistor set up you could make it into a cable that plugs right in no need to modify the truck or trailer wiring :idea:you could make em with the ammo can with a magnetic mount so it could be attached to the truck or trailer just make the cables long enough to reach either way.i bet there would be a line of guys wanting to buy them.nice job

jd-ford-hd

Coulda just swapped the bulbs and built a plug adapter.
I own six trailers that are pulled by two Mack trucks most of the time and the M818 occaisionally. Swapping bulbs are for people with one truck and one trailer combos. LED's are too expensive and are a favorite target of thieves.

jd-ford-hd

i like the idea of using the resistors i used relays for my 24 to 12volt trailer set up .how much were the resistors.with the resistor set up you could make it into a cable that plugs right in no need to modify the truck or trailer wiring :idea:you could make em with the ammo can with a magnetic mount so it could be attached to the truck or trailer just make the cables long enough to reach either way.i bet there would be a line of guys wanting to buy them.nice job
Thanks for the compliment. The resistors were $4.50 each and are permanent!!

tm america

ya switching bulbs is ok if you only have one trailer you're gonna pull .and if you're only gonna be pulling it with your deuce.but what about when you're gonna use a friends trailer or his truck to pull your trailer you would spend more time switching bulbs that towing .

jd-ford-hd

only thing i didnt like about resistors is most of them dont have a very big capacity do you know the rating on the ones you got
I dont know the rating. This resistor is an automotive item made to do exactly what I did with it. I experimented with different loads to establish the exact number of resistors needed. The trailer marker lights were the heaviest load so required the fewest resistors. Weird, huh? The more load put through a ballast resistor, the greater the resistance value becomes. Instructions in the box will guide you through determining the number of resistors required. They can be wired in parallel or series to obtain practically any amp load or voltage reduction needed.

4trans

do your fifth wheel trailers use air brakes and if they do you have it set up that the fifth wheel trailers hook up electrically the same way they do on the macks you use

jd-ford-hd

do your fifth wheel trailers use air brakes and if they do you have it set up that the fifth wheel trailers hook up electrically the same way they do on the macks you use
Yes all have air brakes. This mod was done to accomplish the same electrical circuits that are used on the macks that I have or any other civi truck for that matter. Thanks.

Attachments

4trans

may i ask where you can find one of those? Thanks to both of you because i was wondering the most efficient method for pulling civi trailers with a military tractor

jwaller

may i ask where you can find one of those? Thanks to both of you because i was wondering the most efficient method for pulling civi trailers with a military tractor
I havent a clue where you will find another. it's got a nsn on it but this is the only one I've ever seen. even the transportation company doesn't have them.

Civilianfarmer10

I am building a similar setup with 24 volt relays. Everything was purchased from ebay for around $100.00. I bought a small waterproof electrical box but I wish I would have thought of an ammo can. That would have givien it a more authentic look. One difference I am going to try is that I am going to run the brake light circuit from the switched side of the brake pressure switch instead of using the turn signals. This way the civilian trailer brake lights will operate like evey other civilian trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks