• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 knocking sound?

jd-ford-hd

:? I am sure this has been asked and answered so apologies in advance :lol: What is the persistent knocking or tapping sound coming from the firewall area? Sounds like an elf with a tack hammer hitting the firewall (one tap every 3 or 4 minutes) while the engine is running. Have heard this on other trucks besides mine. Thanks.

jd-ford-hd said:
:? I am sure this has been asked and answered so apologies in advance :lol: What is the persistent knocking or tapping sound coming from the firewall area? Sounds like an elf with a tack hammer hitting the firewall (one tap every 3 or 4 minutes) while the engine is running. Have heard this on other trucks besides mine. Thanks.
you are probly hearing the governer for the air system.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: M818 knocking sound?

I saw the elf there with the hammer one time that I could not sleep and went out to admire the cummins he was napping on the rear valve cover and vanished as soon as my flashlight hit him.....

Sorry I agree it is most likely the air regulator cycling

jd-ford-hd

RE: Re: M818 knocking sound?

Thanks guys. I held the governor during its cycle and it does "hammer" slightly. Have owned lots of air brake vehicles and never heard a air governor make a sound. This one does!! Thanks again.