• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 vs M931A1 head to head

davidkroberts

Well I just finished a trip picking up my M931A1 from Gulfport Miss and drove it 490 miles home pulling a M1009. This spring I got a M818 and drove it back home from Columbia SC ( 600 +/- miles) pulling a M1031. Both trucks have under 3500 miles and both were in like new condition and were basically stock. The M931A1 has Combat Wheels and 14.00 R20 tires which did increase the road speed. Since I own both and they both took such similar trips I thought I would do a side by side comparison.

The M818 has a bit less power pulling hills and the road speed is less even when you take out the advantage of the larger tires on the M931A1. The truck doesnt seem as big as the M931 and you can actually see behind you because the spare tire isnt in the way. The handling and driving is very similar. The ride quality isnt all that different. The M818 is much closer to feeling like a M35A2 driving than the M931 is. Average MPG on my trip was around 8mpg with an average speed of 53 mph at around 1900 RPM. I slowed down lots on the hill but I think some of it was me needing to change the fuel filter. Maybe not a big issue because the flats pulled great but may still be an issue on hills. The brakes being air-over-hydraulic feel like a M35.

The M931A1 is taller than the M818 and the automatic transmission is really great. The shift is smooth and doesnt run the RPM's real high before shifting up or down. Visibility from the cab is the same as the M818 except you have to use your mirrors you cant check your blind spot off the right rear tandems through the window like the M818 because of the spare tire. You need a convex mirror on the passenger side. Pulling a M1009 I averaged about 9 mpg but I had a ton of JP8 in the tank when I started where the M818 had straight diesel. I could maintain 65 mph on the flats and 55 @1900 RPM on pretty good hills. The brakes arent overly sensitive bob-tail on either truck. There seems to be more power available with the M931 than the M818. The truck runs and drives more like a civilian Semi than a military truck. I cant explain the differences but it didnt feel like a military vehicle to me. Except for the lack of AC anyway, that was a dead giveaway. The ABS airbrakes were nice, but Im used to them from driving semi's on and off for years. They take some getting used to if you arent familiar with them.

Summary if you are a collector and want a good military collector vehicle get a M818. The components and maintenance will be familiar to you from other mil vehicles. The Allison Automatic and air-brakes will be more expensive to fix when you have problems. If you do any work with your vehicle or take long road trips with shows and rallies get a M931A1. If your pulling a load over any distance the M931A1 is probably a better bet with the ABS airbrakes and more power.

Attachments

groundog

:beer:Glad you made it home without any problems--still working on mine---re-placed broken mirror---trailer air hose broke----passenger side bottom ripped---truck it self runs good--oil leak behind dash by air filter indicator---but in time will get things fixed

davidkroberts

mine needs a new muffler, the bottom was rusted out and blew out on the trip home. I have a small leak on the drive-shaft output from the front axle. nothing major and much less than I was expecting. The guy at the tow company was telling me the deuces he had were running straight JP8 and he had to change the fuel filters after switching to diesel. I guess they gummed up.

12Bravo

I drove a 1947 XM818 while stationed in Germany (92-94) and it was governed at 55MPH. The truck did great off road (plenty of power in low) but didn't do so good on the Autobahn. The newer trucks (especially the A2 with turbo) are better for higher top speed and pulling hills.

Hooty481

Excellnt review... I was looking for something just this. When you said you was running 70 in that thing i was a little up set that i didn't go with one of those instead of the 818. It looks like I will be getting bigger tires and a turbo and it dont look like there is any way around it.

davidkroberts

I dont mind going slower unless its a LONG trip. I usually drive 60 or so even in my personal vehicle. With a turbo and Super singles I dont think there will be a big difference in the trucks

davidkroberts

oh and i use my m1009 as a tow vehicle allot on recoveries using a medium towbar which weighs a ton. Ive found the easiest way to hook up is to use a ratchet strap and just drive the thing on. Or back it on whichever you need to...

Attachments

Atomic

oh and i use my m1009 as a tow vehicle allot on recoveries using a medium towbar which weighs a ton. Ive found the easiest way to hook up is to use a ratchet strap and just drive the thing on. Or back it on whichever you need to...
Now that, is smart!!

12Bravo

A 1947 XM818??? that must have been the rare XXX-M818.
I wish I had pictures of the truck and data plates. I drove it from 92-94 and the DOD was 1947 and made by Kaiser-Willy's. I don't remember the bumper number but I was in the Bn motorpool, HHC 40th Eng Bn in Baumholder Ge. I tried getting the truck moved to the division museum but the chain of command said to keep driving it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I had pictures of the truck and data plates. I drove it from 92-94 and the DOD was 1947 and made by Kaiser-Willy's. I don't remember the bumper number but I was in the Bn motorpool, HHC 40th Eng Bn in Baumholder Ge. I tried getting the truck moved to the division museum but the chain of command said to keep driving it.
I wonder if it could have been an original M52 gasser that was repowered with an LDS motor. I thought I read that the earliest M39 series trucks were produced in the early 50s, but I could be mistaken.

12Bravo

Either that or someone at the factory had a sense of humor when making the data plate. I do remember the year as being 1947, always thought that was very odd for a truck that old to still be in service. We had changed from a construction engineer bn to a combat engineer bn and had a lot of old equipment left over. Engineer units were bad about not getting update/new equipment when the rest of the Army did. Some of the Baily Bridge trailers I pulled were very old too.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either that or someone at the factory had a sense of humor when making the data plate. I do remember the year as being 1947, always thought that was very odd for a truck that old to still be in service. We had changed from a construction engineer bn to a combat engineer bn and had a lot of old equipment left over. Engineer units were bad about not getting update/new equipment when the rest of the Army did. Some of the Baily Bridge trailers I pulled were very old too.
Did the tractor you drove have a turbo or was it naturally aspirated? If it was the former, you probably had an M52 with an LDS motor. If it was the latter, it was probably an M818/XM818. I never heard of any M809 series trucks being built prior to 1969.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kaiser didn't buy Willys till 1953. I'm not a 5 ton guy, but I am pretty sure the M39's weren't produced before the deuces which was in 49.

Ord22

i always liked those m931's. congrads on the addition. this was the series of trucks that the military went to for the females. they couldn't drive the manual trucks... so they came out with the automatics. great lookin' truck!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks