• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 vs M931A1 head to head

12Bravo

The XM8181 I drove was non turbo/naturally aspirated. It was definitely an odd ball truck. I prefer the M818s for off road use. I pulled a Baily Bridge trailer overloaded with repair parts for the motorpool and the truck could barely keep up with the convoy on the highway but pulled great off road (low). The M931s are definitely better over the road trucks in my opinion. Being in the motorpool, I drove all kinds of 5-tons from my M944A1 (truck mounted machine shop) to M813/M923, M818, M816 and M936 wrecker and M931s. I also drove a M88 tracked recovery vehicle.

Last edited:

rorybellows

id love a 939 series rig. i am pretty familiar with them. i have a cdl i keep, just in case it comes back down to it. so thats not a problem. i do/would have an issue with ins. and the state trying to tax and insure it like a comm. vehicle. anyone in WA have any of these probs. with the state doing this. i wouldnt want to register it as a collector, 'cause id drive it everwhere. 9mpg or not

obee1kubota

Surprised

Thanks for the seat of the pants review. I guess it really says something about the old M800's that they can still be compared to the 900's

NickAir

The M809 5-ton series trucks were and are extremely dependable. They were very simple and very overbuilt. Our combat engineer company used these beyond limits with virtually no breakdowns. The deuces broke down regularly, but not the 5-tons.

The 900 series 5-tons are great when relatively new. With time the auto trans becomes vulnerable to malfunctioning valves and leaking seals. Common is, when older and sitting, the auto trans will not work in reverse. It is all repairable, but expensive to have done. The older 809 series 5-tons don't have this vulnerability.

I own a 809 series 5-ton for this very reason. 41 year old truck and will still do 70 mph (w/16s) and parts are inexpensive. If you want more power and/or better fuel mpg, larger injector nozzles, and/or Turbo kit it. Mine is stock and will likely last longer than I will. 809 series 5-tons make more sense.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumping this thread after being linked over here by another one.

Great information and I love the "Car & Driver" - or MV & Driver - format the OP used in reporting.
GOOD JOB !!!

There is SO MUCH valuable info archived on this website!!!!!!!!!!

NickAir

Cdl

duecedodgerDo you need a CDL to drive one of these trucks? If not i'm thinking of bidding on one on GL.
Question:
"Do you need a CDL to drive one of these trucks? If not i'm thinking of bidding on one on GL."

Answer: For the states I know of, (out west.)
Two items that require a CDL for operating your truck on public roads are-
1) Air brake system
2) Over 28,000 lbs

There may be other issues in some states.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so will I need a CDL to drive a 5ton on the roads of PA?
Sir,
Seeing that you are quite young in these forums, please allow me to introduce you to the SEARCH BUTTON - it is your FRIEND :beer: it can be found in the page banner on EVERY SS Screen.

On your behalf, I did two quick searches for "CDL PA" and then "CDL Pennsylvania" and found a HUGE amount of info answering your question already resides in the SS archived posts.

May I suggest that you do those searches and then sit back with a pot of coffee and have fun reading ReAdInG READING the wealth of knowledge that you will find.

This thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/55728-pa-residents-m818-according-penndot.html
Has a very specific topical focus for you.

BTW: Welcome to the Site.
The West Texas Detachment of the SS welcomes you aboard:D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway:driver:

Best regards,
John