• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Won't crank

cleb

I picked up my M818 from Redstone earlier this week (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/military-vehicle-road-trips/50617-redstone-m818-recovery.html). I've been working on fixing her up this week. The first thing I did was a field repair to the radiator that was damaged by a forklift. Next was draining the nasty bit of fuel out, adding new, and replacing the fuel filter. I drained the oil (only a little came out, and the plug was loose). Looks like they drained it when they turned it in. I filled it up with Rotella, put 2 1000CA batteries from costco in, and she wouldn't turn over. I could hear the starter going thunk, and the battery voltage going way down, but she wasn't spinning. I put a socket and driver on the crank bolt and tried to spin it over with a short cheater bar (16"), but couldn't get it to go. I'm not sure how much force it should take. I read the TM, and popped off the rocker covers to remove the decompression plugs. Everything in the top end looked clean, no rust. I couldn't break the plugs with the ratchet and driver I had, I think I need a rattle gun.

Any ideas? I need to get the decompression plugs out and see if I can inspect the pistons through that hole. I also am going to pull the starter, and make sure its functioning normally. I've heard a bushing can fall off of the starter and cause the flywheel to jam. How much force/how big of a breaker bar should be required to get the engine to turn over by hand? I don't think my bar was long enough, I know its a big engine.

Thanks,

Caleb

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been able to turn over 250's with the fan blade and some tension on the belts. Never needed a bar or wrench to see if they are stuck. Sounds like yours is stuck.

sandcobra164

Just helped on a recovery this week. That Cummins is hard to spin if it's sat for a while. It finally took 4 used batteries and about a 5 minute charge from a HMMWV to get that 817 to crank over. Previously, it just gave the loud thud that you're referring to. I've ran into this about 5 times in the last couple of weeks with all the 5 ton's that I've helped recover. 5 ton's take quite a bit of juice to start.

sandcobra164

And all the ones that gave the loud thud cranked up and drove out once properly motivated with battery power and slave vehicle power.

Victor

Caleb,
looks like you have stuck engine. I am usualy testing engines with 12" ratchet, just in case it jumps forward. Even with good compression engine will spin, slowly but moves under constant pulling force. If its not moving at all ... sorry for your loss.
My suggestion is:
drop oil pan; remove, review and put back bearings one-by-one. Also look at bearings. Make pictures.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Man......I should have brought the slave cables and at least tried to turn her over.

My wrecker did the same thing....hot batteries and when I hit the switch...THUNK...tried to pull start...no soap....had to do an engine transplant.

Maybe you will get lucky.....mine had sat up a lot longer than yours.

Keep us posted.

derby

The loose oil plug could be more than it look's like. Ditto on the fan blade turning, done it on alot of engines. was there an air cleaner filter in it? if they drained it at turn in they would have drained most if not all fluids. I have seen them drain brakes,power steering, rad,engine,trans,transfer case, diffs remove air cleaner filter and drain the air tank (just kidding) I would try and tow start it, You won't cause any more damage that might already be done.

Victor

If you try to tow start it - put some oil (WD-40) in cylinders for day or two. Obviously engine oil in engine. Do not put in 1st or 2nd gear. try in 5th and if engine moves - put in 4th or 3rd to start it.

cleb

The engine oil was the only fluid I've found missing so far. Air filter is there. I put 4 charged batteries in, and tried to crank her. Got the thud. I marked the belts to see if it was moving. Sure Enough, it was making small movements. I gave it a few thunks every couple minutes so I didn't overheat the starter, and after about 20 thunks she finally started turning faster. Got a little smoke out of the exhaust. By this time the batteries were a bit too low to crank her fast enough to start, so I have them charging now. I'll update everyone when I try and start her up.

sandcobra164

I didn't think it would be locked based on my experience this last week. They may turn by hand on the fan after being run but they take a lot to break free after they've sat up for a few years. Just from what I've seen and by no means am I an authority on these motors.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing one can do to a motor that has sat for awhile is have soldier B spray some fogging oil into the intake so the first breth she takes is a lubed one. Tec tip of the day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks