• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Won't crank

cleb

SHES ALIVE!!!!! I hooked the batteries up, and she fired after a couple seconds of cranking. Didn't want to idle on her own for a few minutes, but now she idles around 600, not sure if that's normal, seems a little low? For the first few minutes there was a lot of steam/smoke coming from the slobber tube. It smelled like Rotella. After about 5 minutes it cleared up. Probably blowby from the rings that were probably a bit unhappy at first? Its smokin a little out of the exhaust, but nothing too bad. Couldn't really tell the color cause its dark here, I'll be able to tell more tomorrow.

I think the clutch may be mis-adjusted. I pushed it in, and tried to push her into gear. All I got was grinding trying to go into first. Clutch stuck? I'll look into that tomorrow.

Also, the air governor was going nuts....kept clicking, a lot more than my deuce does. Gunnysack? Air pressure seemed to be holding stead at the top end of the range (100-120).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I'm glad shes not totally froze up!

bassetdeuce

Our M818 idles at 600RPM. It seems low, but then again that NHC250 is a big 855ci. Also, even with strong batteries it spins over slow for the first 1/2 second, but then speeds up.

I think the clutch may be mis-adjusted. I pushed it in, and tried to push her into gear. All I got was grinding trying to go into first. Clutch stuck? I'll look into that tomorrow.
Not that uncommon for units that have sat for a long time for the pressure plate and flywheel to rust.
sometimes this makes the disc stick to one or both of these items.
not hard to break it loose.

cleb

Not that uncommon for units that have sat for a long time for the pressure plate and flywheel to rust.
sometimes this makes the disc stick to one or both of these items.
not hard to break it loose.
Whats the easiest way to break it loose? Will I be able to see much when I take off the inspection plate?

Thanks!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the easiest way to break it loose? Will I be able to see much when I take off the inspection plate?

Thanks!

Put it in gear, leave the brakes set, push the clutch in and start it. Just make sure there isn't anybody/thing in front of you at the time. It will come loose. Kinda like a stuck brake drum.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fifth gear would be safest then? The worst that would happen is an engine stall.
A really low or really high gear will work best. I'd do low side 1st. Again, just make sure nothing it in front of you and there is a clear path to drive it in. Sometimes driving will free it up if the thing doesn't un stick during cranking.

Wonder why it stuck? The truck isn't a "Katrina" type victim is it?

cleb

Well, as seen above the engine was froze up too....it came form NC, maybe the humidity and sitting didn't do it good....I assume I need to break it loose before I try and adjust it?