• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818

dezert ratt

On the 818 there is a control lever on the right side of the steering column. Couldnt find any description in the tm. Seems like a trailer brake actuator? :confused:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not to bash, but if you're properly licensed to operate something with this GVWR, in a trailered sense, the license exam would have covered this...

Please read over the TM's for safety sake. :beer:

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Florida, you only need a class E license to drive a M818,M246,and..... because a air over hydraulic. GVWR is not a consideration also it is registered a military-collectors. Those vehicle rules are not the same as a general tractor.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You might want to go read up on the TM's as well. It certainly isn't a transbreak or jakebrake. Just because you're not required to be tested or knowledge on something, doesn't mean you should be oblivious to the safe operation of it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
On the 818 there is a control lever on the right side of the steering column. Couldnt find any description in the tm. Seems like a trailer brake actuator? :confused:
I think I read that it is a transbreak, kinda works like a jakebreak
What TM were you looking in ???

Really think you guys NEED to read the -10 (operators manual), it has all KINDS of interresting bits of INFO

area52

page 2-26 of the 9-2320-260-10 TM shows the "airbrake control kit".

If your 5th wheel is removed, you might want to ask Mark (Hundy) if he removed the air lines for this, if he is the one that did the work.

dezert ratt

I was searching thru the vehicle controls section for the different body style trucks. Mine has been converted to a cargo truck so i was just asking a simple question about a very new to me truck that i just bought yesterday. Any info is much appreciated, not trying to start a useless thread just thought id ask after probably missing it in the tm somewhere and not finding in the search engine.

KsM715

I've heard it called a trolley brake. It will apply the brakes on the trailer you are pulling if the glad hands are hooked up to the extensions behind the cab and not to the glad hands on the back of the truck. Use it to lock the brakes on the trailer while you back under it without having the brakes on the tractor engaged at the sametime.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It's called a Johnson Bar, and it's for the trailer brakes. Not to be used for parking...LOL

TM's are vital although i don't believe the TM refers to it as a Johnson Bar
No, it refers to it as a hand controller for the trailer brakes

tm9-2320-260-10, page 2-8, item #2

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It has many names but the function is to be able to control the trailer brakes with out pushing on the foot brake. If the fifth wheel etc has been removed and the lines to the rear glad hands are still in operation you might want to make sure the lever is pushed up all the way or the brake lights will be on all the time.

dezert ratt

Thank you, i figured it had to do with engaging the trailer only. Over the next week i have off for c-mas to new years im gonna go over the truck thoroughly and study the tm. Ive been reading over the tm manuals for about 2 hours now. i respect the truck and i know its capable of alot of damage from simple driver error. And yes i am gonna properly register the truck in the proper commercial class and im gonna get the proper licensing. I dont want to cut any corners owning and driving a piece of american history. I dont want to ruin something for other mv enthusiasts for being stupid :thumbup:

dezert ratt

page 2-26 of the 9-2320-260-10 TM shows the "airbrake control kit".

If your 5th wheel is removed, you might want to ask Mark (Hundy) if he removed the air lines for this, if he is the one that did the work.
The truck still has all the 5th wheel hookups behind the cab, just the hitch is removed
2320-260-10, downloading tm now :thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Johnny bar, trolly brake...

Ask the questions here(and read the TMs). We have the experiance and knowledge to help everyone.

Sometimes questions do seem "dumb", but to not ask, would be "more dumb".

We're all adults here(some only in age), we all learn new things daily.

Can we see a picture of your new truck?

F18hornetM

It serves the same function as the lever on an electric brake controller does. To apply the trailer brakes without applying truck brakes. Great way to test trailer brakes before driving down road.

rrrr

If you are not sure about something get into the TM's first. If that doesn't answer the question then do a forum search. If that doesn't answer the question then post away. If you have a 939 series truck the TM's are awful. The 809 series TM's might provide some help as well. I've spent more time in the TM's the last few weeks for my 932a1 then I ever did for my deuce. The Deuce TM's are works of art compared to the 9 series TM's. SS Member 73TM819 was very helpful trouble shooting an air brake issue I had because the TM's were all but useless.

Good luck, have fun and post a pic !

Gunner0311

Me too

Don't feel dumb for asking.

I did not know what it was either, never haven driven any trucks while on active duty. So I had to look it up in the TMs also.

The jump from dueces to the larger trucks does involve a "learning curve"...:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks