• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819 RECEIVES NTC400!!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 ton transmission is the Dana (Spicer) 6453 (I was curious and looked it up). I wonder now if any better OD were avail on the 6000 series, maybe not, but following is a list off an attributed Hemmings article, fair use.,

7. TRANSMISSION
Make . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..Dana
Model . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...6453
Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Synchromesh
Speeds Forward . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...5
SpeedsReverse . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...1
GearRatios:
1st . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...6.07.1
2nd . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...3.40.1
3rd . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...1.79.1
4th . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...1.00.1
5th . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...0.78.1
Reverse . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...6.09.1

8. TRANSFERCASE
Make . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Rockwell Standard
Model . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..T-138
Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Automatic front axle drive

other info for the series of gearing:
FEATURE ARTICLE from Hemmings Motor News

1961-'65 Ford H-Series cabovers

Hemmings Motor News - NOVEMBER 1, 2008 - BY JIM O'CLAIR

Spicer 5000, 6000 and 8000 series "synchro silent " five-speeds were offered in "direct-in-fifth" or "overdrive-in-fifth" configurations. A Spicer 12-speed was another drivetrain option, as were several Spicer 7000 series three- and four-speed auxiliary transmissions.

a ton of manuals and info on transmissions here:
TTC: Product Literature

MilitaryRestoration

might be too late but especially since you have the cab already off... why dont you just do a cab lift and then you dont have to modify the hood, thats what my buddy did and unless you are looking for it or really looking at it closely you dont notice the lift and nothing looks aftermarket... just 2cents

eldgenb

might be too late but especially since you have the cab already off... why dont you just do a cab lift and then you dont have to modify the hood, thats what my buddy did and unless you are looking for it or really looking at it closely you dont notice the lift and nothing looks aftermarket... just 2cents
I don't know why this has not been discussed before, great alternative to cutting up the hood and real easy to do, steering is the only challenge for a 3-4" body lift.

MilitaryRestoration

I believe the steering wheel can move up a bit without any problems... if i remember right, he mentioned doing so and in doing so also gives him more leg room. As for the pedals he just cut the oval holes in firewall/cab longer and make up his own seals...
ELDGENB where did your 5ton come from in your avatar picture?

eldgenb

I believe the steering wheel can move up a bit without any problems... if i remember right, he mentioned doing so and in doing so also gives him more leg room. As for the pedals he just cut the oval holes in firewall/cab longer and make up his own seals...
ELDGENB where did your 5ton come from in your avatar picture?
I would tell you but I would have to kill you...:mrgreen: I will give you a hint, from a rural city somewhere between the two of us!! I also bought my M715 from there.

kastein

I don't know why this has not been discussed before, great alternative to cutting up the hood and real easy to do, steering is the only challenge for a 3-4" body lift.
was discussed on page 1 or 2 iirc.

I want pics!!!! :jumpin: this is what I want to do to my M54 but I simply don't have the tools, space, money, or time. I have also considered putting a brownie box between the rear output of the transfer case and the rear axles and finding a way to make the transfer case air shift instead of sprag shift (since I would only really want the overdrive gearing on the highway in rear wheel drive anyways) but have little experience with the Rockwell T138 or anything else on trucks this big. So I'm living vicariously through your repower...

eldgenb

haha well going by the color ;-) ive been out on fires many times with them and probably that truck specifically :) when did you get it? i got the m49 from there

I picked it up earlier this year, put some 53's on her, put a little money in with the intention of keeping her and realized this thing is way to freaking long! the fire dept cut and stretched an 816 truck 4 more ft for the water tank so I sold it to a farmer in ritzville who put a water tank back on it and works it daily. So then I bought my 818 and put a knuckleboom on it and a 105 bed i modified to work and towed another truck home with it(what a joke that was)so it is for sale and I just purchased a M920 and a bigger knuckleboom and working on an LMTV bed. If this one is not big enough I am just doing something wrong...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been over 14 months since the Diesel brothers have updated this thread with information/pics of their adventures on the M819. I feel they might have either slacked off, or lost interest altogether. :(

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe they have put it on hold or whatnot. OK well it was interesting. Let's see what the future holds.

Last edited:

Atomic

Man I forgot about this all together. Had an email about it waiting for me this morning. Yep I think this mod is a dead end....:-(

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw Dave late last year at Gilbert, and then he emailed me some updates. Him and his brother have bounced between jobs and projects several times in the last several years. He assured me that the M819 project, the pipeline deuce project, and other things that they had previously worked on, are still in their ownership, and they are still planning to finish what they started. Hopefully this will be soon, so we can see the fruits of their labor over all this time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks