• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819 RECEIVES NTC400!!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
question about brownie boxes...
Not that you would want to, but could you install it backwards and get a .38 : 1 overdrive ratio and a 1.33 : 1 underdrive ratio?

No.2Diesel

"Kaboom!" - that was the sound of my head exploding :p

Interesting concept.....The gears are not straight cut so I'm not sure if it'll take the same amount of torque rating at 100% duty cycle in both directions....hmm

.....also the shifter rods would be sticking out in the opposite direction. I guess if you had a gear box with a not so desirable Overdrive it would be good.

hmmmm

No.2Diesel

Hey,

No real excuse here just alot of other stuff going on....

What has been accomplished is alot of little things that don't require big $$:

-The rear brakes have been upgraded to 939 specs. As advised by the Bendix Engineer at the MATS grease zerks and relief holes have been added to the wedge brakes for easy lubrication.
-Since the 939 carcass was missing the front axle we've been having a hard time finding someone willing to sell just the brake parts and not the whole axle. As a reminder I attached a pic of the carcass loaded up at Kublos in the winter.
-The T-case mounts and crossmember that sits in back of it has been removed for their relocation.
-The 8031C auxiliary has been mocked up with a small jackshaft between it and the Roadranger and is as big as the stock 5spd!

The 400:

-The "holy grail" remote oil filter adaptor has been installed
-Apparently the factory that makes the block heaters shut down for more than a month so it was quite a wait. The block heater for this application is not just the plate like on the 250: It has a built in water outlet pipe cast in.
-A new Bendix air governor was purchased and they are mounted right ontop of the air compressor instead of the firewall
-Since this application uses a shaft-driven power steering pump instead of the 250's belt driven setup, we sourced a pump from the NTC290 stored out back, cleaned & installed it.
-Also from the 290 we took the large power steering fluid reservoir that attaches to the intercooler housing.
-A new dipstick tube was installed as well.

The 290 btw is still for sale

Pics soon................

Attachments

jwaller

Hey,

No real excuse here just alot of other stuff going on....

What has been accomplished is alot of little things that don't require big $$:

-The rear brakes have been upgraded to 939 specs. As advised by the Bendix Engineer at the MATS grease zerks and relief holes have been added to the wedge brakes for easy lubrication.
-Since the 939
Pics soon................

any chance you could elaborate on this greaing the brakes you did. I'd like to update mine if it needs it.

also what all do you have left from the 939? I'm needing some 900 parts myself. do you have any dash parts like the hand throttle and the wiper knob or the little data plates for blower and fuel?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Hummmmmmm.....I just bought a M915......I have a M816.......

Maybe a 400 Cummins and Allison 5 speed in the wrecker.

Would the 915 axles fit the wrecker....I'd lose the front wheel drive but it would be an awesome recovery vehicle. I would have all the plumbing for straight air brakes.

Replace the rear winch with the sliding 5th wheel off the 915.....and pull a lowboy behind it.

Or.......I could just stretch the frame on the 915 and install the wrecker body on it.

So many possibilities........arrrrghhhhhhhh.aua

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, No.2, I know you guys are kinda slow with the pics, but MAN we are drooling waiting for some more updates on this end! I can't to see that 819 when it's all done...

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes please may I have another. Pics that is and one of the front motor mount reworked for the larger harmonic bal. please!!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While we wait for them pictures..

Anyone ever put an aux transmission on an M818? It might just fit and the job could be simpler, not moving the transfer, and using the overdrive only on the highway along with the 'front=neutral' shift mod for the transfer.

The rear shaft would be a little short, but no shorter I think that the interaxle shaft and considering the articulation available there..

For that matter, a 2-speed brownie box that just had a 1:1 and an OD of .75 or less.

0.75:1 would do a world of good for an M818 with only an M109 box loading it.

MPH RPM Brownie Box
speed input Spicer 8013

2100 1.00:1
52.0 1575 0.75:1

60.0 1818 0.75:1
65.0 1968 0.75:1
69.3 2100 0.75:1

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm... I would like to look into this. Anyone know a good place to get a brownie box? say a large truck wrecking yard?

Also, hurry up! I want to see video of the m819 done already!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks