• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819 RECEIVES NTC400!!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to rain on anyones parade, but do you know what QDR means? Quality Deficency Report...

When the end user in the military finds a problem in a new part rght out of the box, they send in a QDR.. Someone at DLA looks into it, and sees if it is a systemic problem or a fluke.. The flukes arent a big deal.. If more than a handful of the same problem on the same part appear, the whole run of that part gets recalled if possible...

If there were a ton of engines with a QDR on them, then it looks more like a systemic problem....

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
emmado22 said:
Not to rain on anyones parade, but do you know what QDR means? Quality Deficency Report...

When the end user in the military finds a problem in a new part rght out of the box, they send in a QDR.. Someone at DLA looks into it, and sees if it is a systemic problem or a fluke.. The flukes arent a big deal.. If more than a handful of the same problem on the same part appear, the whole run of that part gets recalled if possible...

If there were a ton of engines with a QDR on them, then it looks more like a systemic problem....
Beat you ;) and its raining.......

Alredneck

Banned
Sweet good deal hope it work out well for ya! My 1st job was heavy wheel mechanic in the army and i use to work on M915s and they were pretty good trucks as much as i remember (11yr ago im a grunt now )and the only problems we had a lot were the electric fuel shut off solienoid going out but dont worry because there is a thumbscrew you just run out and crank her right back up and get on down the road. You should have plenty of power to cause i remember the 88m's ball'n the tires on them rigs (915s) but i thought ours were oshkosh and freightliners hmmmmmm we had A1s not the newer A2s though hmmmmmmmmmmmm! Well Good Luck! Captain

TacticalTruck

I don't know anything about the truck pictured, it's up for auction. The M915 is a different animal than the M809 series. There's a pic of my former M915A1 in the photo sction. The sheet metal won't easily interchange. Here's another convert, it looks like a 400:

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
QDR could be for something as minor as the wrong configuration of a brand new motor so you could be in for a great deal of course it could also be a serious issue that would mean a costly repair. At any point if you get it at a reasonable price you have a tested and true motor to start with and I hope you have smooth sailing with a great motor.

Is that white tractor for sale right now if so where?

No.2Diesel

Thanks for the heads up about the QDR. I feel just as excited as you guys. The service manual is on its way. It will receive a full inspection inside and out before installation.

Well, the next step is to weld up a temporary Gantry Crane from all the scrap metal I have behind the barn. Onward Ho! fat lady sings

m.walker

On the hood do a more sedate cowl induction style raised section ( but less racy ) instead of just welding in parts to clear what hits . On the white tractor you got a couple of shots how they did the grill and radiator mounts ? I wanna redo my bridge truck where they swapped in the detroit .

No.2Diesel

EXTERNAL APPEARANCE ISSUES
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hood Issue.....Hmmmm you got me thinkin' about different scenarios. Thanks! It should be the last thing to worry about but appearing as stock as possible is important. What would look better?

1.) A domed area located where there is interference? (like some mid 80s "sports car")
2.) A low profile cowl induction scoop ? (like a 1970 Chevelle SS)

If option 2 were chosen, a rectangular shaped protrusion would not go well with a hood that tapers with round edges. (In my Opinion)

I will make some hand sketches this weekend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exhaust issue:

The plan is to utilize a larger Diameter single stack that imitates the path of the stock unit and painted black. Either no nuffler will be installed or there will be a muffler for long periods of crane operation and install a diverter so on the road we can hear all the pretty sound.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fender Mounted Air Cleaner Assembly:

I'm still researching what the minimum CFM would be for this engine. Its still 855ci. I would think that the stock housing and intake mushroom may limit the 400 a little

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any comments criticisms or suggestions are welcome on these or any issues. Thanks everyone.

truckdoctor

I am new to steel soldiers so please bear with the new guy. I am a diesel mechanic by trade and learned about this website from a guy who I am helping repair his deuce. I noticed this conversation going on about the 400 swap. Looking at the truck picture posted by tactical truck had a cummins in it. From the looks that cummins is a 335 or early 350. I say that only guessing because it does not have an intercoller on it. The NTC 400 is a small cam cummins. One easy way to tell a small cam from a big cam is the newer big cam cummins have "BIG CAM" cast into the block above the cam followers on the left side of the block. The jake brakes only add about an inch and a half to the height of the engine. The intercooler that is on your 400 is the shortest I know of without going to an air-to-air setup. The cool thing is Cummins engines are easy to turn up if 400 is not enough. That engine was also available as an NTC 475 which was twin turbo. As far as drive train, remember back in the early days of monster trucking, Bob Chandler (Bigfoot) and his buddies were using 5 ton military axles and transfer cases behind 1500 hp blown bigblocks and jumping them to boot. Good luck on the project, I really like those wreckers and hope to build one someday.

m.walker

Cut the hood where it naturaly rises and add a piecut of sheetmetal in , I didn't mean to make it as obvious as the old chevelles just using the basic idea . Also use rounded edges instead of sharp to make it look stock . What'ya think ?

madsam

This is a good project to see how it goes. I am going to try to put a turbo on a 250, just to get the power back the truck had at sea level. I was trying to think on how to route the intake from the turbo to the manifold as there is not enough room on top of the engine. Seeing these pics proves that point. Can you talke a pit of the turbo side of the engine and how the oil lines are run to the turbo?

No.2Diesel

Right now the engine is still on its pallet awaiting full inspection. BTW it turns wit the same resistance as the 250 in the wrecker now. I should be taking it off this weekend so I'll try to take some pics.

madsam

Thanks. By the way, my air filter, which can be seen in my signature-pic, is off an old Freighliner. It should breath better than the original. I got it because it was cheaper than the original that was missing. I think I paid $100 for it and it had a new filter element. Mine is chrome, but you could find something like that which is not chrome, and it should breath better.

No.2Diesel

UPDATE:

Wow rizzo, that idea never entered the brain. Hmmm. Interesting concept. However that would require a rise of 4-5" affecting all sorts of things.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

QDR update:

With the engine still laying on its pallet in the barn we lifted the bottom end with the JD crawler and blocked it with care.

To put this issue to rest we removed: The oil pan, cam follower covers, and rocker covers for an internal inspection. The oil still inside is still amber in color with no debris, shavings, etc. None of the nuts & bolts on the engine have been touched and nothing seems out of place or is observed to be cracked or broken. Everything looks brand new.

It does not appear to ever have been installed in a truck as the places were the engine would rest on its mounts show no signs of doing so.

With the oil pan and rocker covers off the engine was turned with a breaker bar as the internals were observed. It has great compression and no interference was felt.

Conclusion:

The engine appears to only to have been run at the factory. As previously stated in this thread the QDR is most likely due to exterior damage from truck shipment:

-Broken dipstick tube
-dented & scratched valve cover
-broken plumbing pipe that exits a cast coolant passage

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My brother and I have heavily discussed the subject of the transmission issue. It has been decided that an RTO 13spd. Eaton RoadRanger is to be used. This decision will create an interesting problem with the stock location of the Transfer Case. Its not the length that is the main concern (although it would barely fit lengthwise.) More so its a problem of "girth":wink:. The driveshaft that comes from the front axle to the T-case has an almost horizontal path and would interfere.

It has been determined that the T-case will have to be "re-clocked" by a few degrees (rotated about its input-output axis) As well as moved rearward 4-6". This is gonna be fun:p

And the icing on the cake about this whole project is that the truck will be converted to straight air brakes just like the 900 series. No more stupid airpack and master cyl.:-D

Boy, so far this thread is pretty worthless with no pics:roll: I'll have to work on that.

Next post will include tranny specs & dimensions.... Thanks for your patience.

No.2Diesel

Here are some pics of us taking home the donor truck: 1973 Brockway 361

(don't worry Brock fans, every part of this truck except the bent & cracked frame has been recycled.)

We still have the NTC350, sliding 5th wheel, etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

dittle

Sweet good deal hope it work out well for ya! My 1st job was heavy wheel mechanic in the army and i use to work on M915s and they were pretty good trucks as much as i remember (11yr ago im a grunt now )and the only problems we had a lot were the electric fuel shut off solienoid going out but dont worry because there is a thumbscrew you just run out and crank her right back up and get on down the road. You should have plenty of power to cause i remember the 88m's ball'n the tires on them rigs (915s) but i thought ours were oshkosh and freightliners hmmmmmm we had A1s not the newer A2s though hmmmmmmmmmmmm! Well Good Luck! Captain

The 915 we have out at our museum is a Freightliner

TheBuggyman

No.2,
I found my 3406E and can get either a 7 or 9 speed with it. How are you getting around the air valves on the tranny for the transfer case? I don't mean to hijack but you seem to have this thing figured out! Thanks for any help......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks