• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M820 missing and smoking like mad - help needed

Wolf.Dose

For your issue I have some questions / answeres:
How long the truck was standings, means the engine was NOT running (for I saw some jump starting??)
If Diesel engines (and any other engine did not run for at least one year it is normal that they will smoke a like. The piston rings do not do the proper job they are designed for (clogged with hard oil).
Next is that issue with the fuel in oil: there is a diaphragm that is dryed out, so it needs to be replacsed. The cumminigs engine needs a pressure preload on the injectors. If the charge pump is leaky, what here seems to be peresent, some hight pressure fuel will get into the oil pan. Replace all seals and diaphragms of the hight presure pump with realy new parts (no NOS) .
And it will take several (do not be shy of several hundreds!) miles to get the stuff working as it is designed too.
Wolf

802dot1q

sweet. I hope thats all that was wrong. I'd do a complete top end adjustment for sure.
After fixing the fuel leak that I caused, that is the next thing on the list.

Wolf, I think my fuel-in-oil problem is from the cylinder that had both intake and exhaust valves disconnected/not moving. Imagine that injector firing with no intake or exhaust. It is a miracle that something didn't bend, blow, or hydrolock. Good to know where to start looking if the fuel-in-oil doesn't stop though. Thanks for the info!

802dot1q

Fuel leak fixed. Batteries charged. 38 outside and she fired up and ran for about 10 minutes. The engine miss is GONE for sure. Smoke is about 75% less but I still have the top end to get dialed in. Picked up a brand new Craftsman torque wrench Saturday just for the valve/injector adjustment. Case closed!

rrrr

Awesome work. Its great when you fix a major problem. I had air brake issues with my m932 that I just got from GL. I trouble shot the issue for 2 days, replaced 2 diaphragms only to find out some GI had put two air lines on backwards ! She is now about 90%. Need an air pressure switch, fix the hole in the passenger floor, and rebuild the heater core for completion !

802dot1q

More than likely it went right by the rings and into the oil. I'm about 99% sure this is what happened since there were an extra 5 gallons of something in the oil when I drained it. It was about as thin as water and smelled exactly like diesel. The poor thing was leaking "oil" from every seal too. Now it hasn't leaked a single drop in 4 weeks!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
when you click on the the triangle in the m icon, just a blank box comes up, looks like more quick time stuff, should not have to load apple stuff

Last edited:

802dot1q

Whhooooooooo!!!!

M820 LIVES!!! - YouTube

Big thanks to rwbrown71, setoyota and willwagner!

Just for future reference, I followed this post to get the valves and injectors set right. Specifically, followed what willwagner posted and relayed via a phone call. Will, you are the man!

:beer:

EOF

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks