• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M820A2 is home safe...Now it's time to check her out!

goldneagle

Well its been a while since i posted anything in this thread. I have not done a lot to the truck yet but I am slowly doing some modifications and cleanup to the truck.

About 2 weeks ago I removed the 2 Multi-Heaters from the back of the truck box. They were no longer hooked up to heat the box. The military had blanked off the ducts for the 2 heaters due to asbestos contamination in the ducts. They replaced the standard A/C unit with a combination A/C heater that runs on 3 phase AC power.

I also removed the 1/4" copper fuel lines from the fuel tank and blanked off the opening. I removed the fuel lines and the fuel pump that fed the heaters.

Both heaters are available for sale for $250 each. They are 60,000 BTU Multi-fuel. PM me if interested.

I installed 2 junction boxes to properly terminate the electrical wires that fed the heaters.

The next project was to paint the floor inside the box. i called Rhinoliner but they wanted $1600 to do the floor! I decided to do it myself using Dupli-Color truck bed paint. I found it on sale at Advancedauto for $45 per gallon kit.

Using the roller kit provided I applied 2 heavy coats of the paint to the diamond plate floor. The paint dries really fast and is easy to apply. The floor came out great!

I decided to paint the walls and ceiling with a light green paint. i got the truck with the entire inside on the box painted in flat white paint. Bad idea and looked ugly! Even the floor was flat white!

I had some white Semi-gloss Metalatex paint in stock. I took it to Sherwin Williams and had it tinted to a mint green color. using a paintbrush and mini roller i painted the walls and ceiling with the light green paint. The paint job looks great. Looks like stock color.

I am attaching some pictures showing the paint job to the box.

Attachments

goldneagle

Another project I was working on was to install an air ride seat for the driver. I found a used one on Ebay for $175 shipped.

I removed the entire driver seat and measured it for size. I decided to modify the air ride seat so i could mount it the same way the spring ride seat was installed. There are 4 preattached nuts under the cab floor that held the original seat in place. I purchased an 1/8" thick 17" by 18" steel plate. I used the original seat plate as the template and marked the bolt holes in the new steel plate. After drilling the holes I fitted the plate to make sure the holes lined up properly.

When I measured the original seat hight I realized it was 2" shorter than the air ride seat. I decided to cut the base of the air ride seat to lower it to the proper hight. I used 3 hardened bolts on each side to reattach the seat base. I then bolted the modified base to the steel plate I drilled earlier. I used (4) 3/8" hardened bolts to attach the seat to the plate.

After installing the seat belts to the seat I bolted the entire seat assembly to the floor using the original holes in the floor. I took the copper tubing that i removed from the fuel pump and attached it to the air line connection under the dash on the driver side. The other end I attached to the air hose coming from the seat. I installed insulated straps to hold the copper tubing in place. (see the picture attached)

I will be installing a leather seat cover soon to cover the tares in the seat fabric.

Attachments

OK, I specifically signed up to ogle this M820A2 Nice ride you have there, and I logged some miles in one.

Some things of possible interest.

DO NOT engage the PTO while on the road or keep the PTO engaged during travel! This often leads to bent PTO shafts.

The electrical cable you mentioned probably went to a 60KW generator trailer that was often paired with the 820s... at least for calibration use, anyway.

Make sure that your battery cables are down in the cutouts between boxes, and that the cutouts are smooth before you place the top/passenger step in place. If the cable is improperly positioned, the weight of.. I dunno, say an assistant driver... can cause the cover/step to push down on the cable and pierce the insulation, creating a drad short between half of your batteries and ground. Battery cable smoke is very sooty, and assistant drivers can move *through* the cab of an M820 very quickly given proper stimulus. :)

Really nice looking, and it brings back fond memories of my time in. Thanks!

AG
Former 653rd Svc CO (TMDE) member

goldneagle

That is awesome! you thinking bout upgrading the tires? and take some more pics now with the paint and it opened up.
Thank you for the compliments. Can't take any pictures with the truck expanded. I have some equipment stored in it so no room to work. I will need help to expand the body. Its really not an easy one man operation!

As far as tire upgrade, I would love to. 1400-20's will do! I just need the right deal and MONEY to pay for it. I will also look into installing A/C in the cab.

Attachments

laserlee123

M820A2, just awarded one!!!!

I enjoyed you M820A2 is home, thanks,

I will be picking mine up in a couple weeks and I'm hoping I can get it started,
When I picked up my M109, checked oil, coolant, and we slave jumped it, started right up, and drove it home. I suspect I'll need batteries, but what more might I find wrong, any tricks to start it?

goldneagle

Nice truck! Let me know if you ever want to part with it.
I have done some modifications on it since i posted this thread. Super singled the tires, A/C in the cab, additional tool boxes behind the cab, and Auxiliary Fuel Tank. The threads are located under the 5 ton section. Do a search by my USER NAME.