• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915, M916 heads up

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was at Redstone Wed and they were unloading M916's sent in from other sites.....there was a lot of them and more on the way.

There are also several M915's on the yard.

They have not been lotted and are not in any active aution.

Most of them started and were driven off the trailers but some of them got the forklift treatment.....not casting stones because the crew up there were careful with the unloading.

My advice is that if you are going to bid on any of them when they come up to do a personal inspection....there are some jewels there but there is one truck that the engine has major damage.

The M916's all have the CAT trannys in them....they are a double edged sword.

The M915 that I drove (I was helping Adam slave off other trucks) was very nice, low miles and full of BII equipment.

Just some friendly advice.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope Richard responds, but I BELIEVE he is referring to the fact that the CAT transmission is a very stout, well-engineered transmission that can take some serious use...BUT...it is a rarity, parts are hard to find, and finding shops to work on them is difficult. How close was I I, Richard? :) With that said, I own an M917 and an M916 with the CAT transmission and I love them. It does take some learning on how to drive these trucks, though. I recommend that anyone considering bidding on or buying one read the manual carefully. There are all kinds of warnings about things to avoid unless you want to trash the transmission. Some of my favorites...

C A U T I O N
With transmission engaged, do not operate this vehicle with
the engine speed below, 1,200 RPM or above 2,100 RPM.
Serious transmission damage will result.
C A U T I O N
When starting with a load, engine speed must accelerate
through 1,200 RPM in three seconds or less, to prevent
damage to the front clutch. If RPM does not increase above
1,200 RPM in three seconds, let up off accelerator and shift
to a lower gear.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

C A U T I O N
With transmission engaged, do not operate this vehicle with
the engine speed below, 1,200 RPM or above 2,100 RPM.
Serious transmission damage will result.
C A U T I O N
When starting with a load, engine speed must accelerate
through 1,200 RPM in three seconds or less, to prevent
damage to the front clutch. If RPM does not increase above
1,200 RPM in three seconds, let up off accelerator and shift
to a lower gear.
Why cant the army make things simple? KISS method please.:doh:

Burgerboy13

Probably wouldn't be too hard to swap out the cat and put in a 13 or 18 speed. If i was buying the truck for commercial use thats what i would do.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
BKuba,

Don't get me wrong......I loved the CAT tranny when I drove 915/916's in the Army....mainly because Uncle paid the bill if they went tits up.

They had some quirks and learning to shift one correctly took a little time.

Once you get the hang of it they are pretty cool.

Since my funds are limited now and I am not a mechanic, I would be screwed, blued and tattooed if I had to pay to get one repaired

Ironically I never drove a 915 with an Allison in it until I bought one.

I was back at Redstone today and Teresa said all those trucks may go on one big sale, if so it will be a buyers market.

OldGoat

I was told that Cat tranny has a pile of solenoids (sensors or ?) that can & do go bad. Expensive to fix. Cool to use, but very troublesome .

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was told that Cat tranny has a pile of solenoids (sensors or ?) that can & do go bad. Expensive to fix. Cool to use, but very troublesome .
One of it's other little quirks was that if the air pressure drops below 80 PSI it kicks into neutral......bad news on a steep down slope with a heavy load.

One redeming thing about that series of trucks was they they put Jake Brakes on the 400 Cummins....saved a lot of wear and tear on brakes and fewer skid marks in BVDs.

Dixmotorpool

Just bought a 916,, hope it gets me home.... I think they're saying don't lug the engine/tranny and don't overspeed..... engine and tranny...... been a truck driver for awhile and that is a general rule for big diesels..... hope I'm right and got a good one... cause a cat tranny would cost a ton to fix..... and all special tools.... so you can't fix it at home...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks