• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915A1 Repainted

Dmitry

I wonder who the design actually belongs to, probably the US Government? Earlier I read about HMMWV kits, and I think it's a great idea. Today's plastic vehicles just don't cut in some cases, and it would be nice to be able to buy M915 or M916 brand new.

gpcpilot

Excuse me, what does the "CCC" on the grill stand for?
There's a bit of history in that logo. AM General built the M915A1 on a crane chassis. They owned a crane company at the time and these were built on the production line the cranes were built on as well, so they got the crane company's logo.

The name of the AM General's crane company was "Crane Carrier Corp." Thus the "CCC" on the grill. :)

If you look closely at the OD green/tan models, you'll sometimes see the CCC, but since it is body colored, it gets lost. More often than not too, the CCC letters get knocked off or removed by some units. Mine has the CCC still in place, so we decided to make it stand out.

Mack Attack

Banned
Well "The General" is out of the paint shop and as promised here's photos of the work. OD Green purists may want to avert their eyes and look elsewhere. :p

The color is a custom-mix we call Sunset Red. The hue, depending on the light, goes from fire engine red to burnt orange, copper and candy apple. It was shot with a base coat of gold metallic, then a coat of clear candy apple and then a coat of clear. We had the brush guards, handles and mirror brackets powder-coated in silver, as well as the bumper.

The chrome trim on the clearance lamps are what were underneath all the layers of green paint. We found the chrome after soda blasting the marker trim. The horn was replaced with a chrome one, as well as a new exhaust pipe. Hope you like and hope it doesn't offend too many.
GORGEOUS ! Absolutely LOVE it ! Would Aluminum wheels bolt up to it ? Say polished 24.5s ?

I love how you got the CCC and AM GENERAL to pop out too ;-) I would added an AMC logo in front of the AM General but that's just me.

M/A

Last edited:

gpcpilot

GORGEOUS ! Absolutely LOVE it ! Would Aluminum wheels bolt up to it ? Say polished 24.5s ?

I love how you got the CCC and AM GENERAL to pop out too ;-) I would added an AMC logo in front of the AM General but that's just me.

M/A
Thanks a bunch! The current wheels are 22.5's and I know a set of Bud aluminums will fit it just fine. We decided not to do them right now simply because of cost. I've got a buddy who has a set he wants to sell me, but we don't want to unmount and remount 10 tires. We figure when it's time to replace the rubber, we'll change the rims too. Oh, and you have NO idea how many times someone asks, "What does the CCC stand for?" aua

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow that looks great! I keep my trucks green but can really appreciate the job you did on that truck. Green and camo isn't for everyone.

Mack Attack

Banned
Green ? and Camo ? So Tan ? Grey ? And Red ? Mil-Spec paints aren't allowed ? !
What about those blue trucks, Yes BLUE a few marine's got a couple blue trucks.

Now let's those aside and try this HAT on for size ? Do all service people wear the some clothes out of service as in service ? No ! So why does the vehicle have too ?

Just saying, I love the job that was done on this fine AM General 915 !
M/A

Danger Ranger

Green ? and Camo ? So Tan ? Grey ? And Red ? Mil-Spec paints aren't allowed ? !
What about those blue trucks, Yes BLUE a few marine's got a couple blue trucks.

Now let's those aside and try this HAT on for size ? Do all service people wear the some clothes out of service as in service ? No ! So why does the vehicle have too ?

Just saying, I love the job that was done on this fine AM General 915 !
M/A
You're on your own bud, we all love the look.

Mack Attack

Banned
I'm glad you all love the olive drab and the Camo paint jobs. The military did use other colors besides dull green and camouflage ya know ;-)

I love the paint job on this M915a1 General ! I think its very nicely done myself.

I also seen an M932 tractor all done up on red and black paint and aluminum wheels chrome bumper and stacks rolling on 24.5s dueled ;-)

I got 5 gallons of Mil-Spec RED paint my great nephews M44 to M48 conversion will be painted said color. Once I get myself an M52a1 Mack it'll also be painted the mil-spec red !

We don't do green paint ;-)
M/A

Hooty481

Excellent job that has been done on this truck! Love the looks of her. Keep up the good work.

Ever think of running a wider tire in the front on a combat rim to kind of take up some of the space in the huge fender well?

gpcpilot

Excellent job that has been done on this truck! Love the looks of her. Keep up the good work.

Ever think of running a wider tire in the front on a combat rim to kind of take up some of the space in the huge fender well?
Thanks for the compliment! Actually for farming use, the thinner tires are better suited we've found on our civilian trucks. This truck will probably never see any serious mud and will stay off the fields unless they're totally dry.

Bighurt

There's a bit of history in that logo. AM General built the M915A1 on a crane chassis. They owned a crane company at the time and these were built on the production line the cranes were built on as well, so they got the crane company's logo.

The name of the AM General's crane company was "Crane Carrier Corp." Thus the "CCC" on the grill. :)

If you look closely at the OD green/tan models, you'll sometimes see the CCC, but since it is body colored, it gets lost. More often than not too, the CCC letters get knocked off or removed by some units. Mine has the CCC still in place, so we decided to make it stand out.
CCC was never owned by AM General, it is and has always been its own company.

CCC won the design bid on the trucks for the army, however AM General won the build contract. The original plans submitted to the Army by CCC are owned by the Army upon submital. The first gen trucks had CCC on the grill because AM general had to build them to the original plans.

It's just the way DoD contracts work.

gpcpilot

CCC was never owned by AM General, it is and has always been its own company.

CCC won the design bid on the trucks for the army, however AM General won the build contract. The original plans submitted to the Army by CCC are owned by the Army upon submital. The first gen trucks had CCC on the grill because AM general had to build them to the original plans.

It's just the way DoD contracts work.
Interesting, thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks