• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916-M920 Tech & Tips

86m1028

Yes... I know this is kind of cheating, because I posted this in an other thread already, but it really needs to be here....so there...lol

Here is a quick scetch of the area on the front drums of the M916-M920 trucks, with dimmensions, that have to be addressed (ground or machined off)
in order to run the 20" HEMTT wheels on them.

Hope this helps.....

Soni

Hey Soni

Thanks for the info on the drums.

I did notice my truck has 4 different drums on my truck.
1 style rear axle
2 style other rear axle
3 rt front drum
4 left frt drum

Did require different machining for both frt drums to clear hemtt wheels.

M920

Hey Soni

Thanks for the info on the drums.

I did notice my truck has 4 different drums on my truck.
1 style rear axle
2 style other rear axle
3 rt front drum
4 left frt drum

Did require different machining for both frt drums to clear hemtt wheels.

Wow....did not realize there where different drums....that's certainly good info to have!!

Thanks Soni

oldMan99

M920 Wheels and Tires

Well, it is official (Pending EUC of course) I need to start getting my parts in order...

I'm going to start with wheels and tires.

For the M920:

I want to put either 395/85R20, 14.00x20 or 16.00x20.

I know Soni has the 395's and reb87 has the 1600x20's.

I am thinking that with the 1600x20 I might not need/want to change the ring/pinion gears since Reb97 is getting close to the speed and mileage I would like to see.

Is there any advantage of either of the other 2 sizes over the 1600's? Cost/availability/ride quality/handling/fit issues/turning radius issues? What do I need to know about these choices to make the big decision?

I have read about the front hub mod needed to use HEMTT wheels. No problem there. Question is, are these stock, non-modified HEMTT wheels and stock 920 lug nuts? Or is there modifications needed to the wheels and/or nuts? (Not sure I want to modify my nuts :lol: )

I know Soni uses a different kind of wheel. Is there an advantage to using those over the HEMTT? Cost difference? Availability?

Will both the HEMTT wheels and the ones Soni uses work with any of the above tire choices?

Will the tires track in the same line? Is there anything I need to do/change/modify to get them to track in the same line?

Thanks in advance!!

M920

Well, it is official (Pending EUC of course) I need to start getting my parts in order...

I'm going to start with wheels and tires.

For the M920:

I want to put either 395/85R20, 14.00x20 or 16.00x20.

I know Soni has the 395's and reb87 has the 1600x20's.

I am thinking that with the 1600x20 I might not need/want to change the ring/pinion gears since Reb97 is getting close to the speed and mileage I would like to see.

Is there any advantage of either of the other 2 sizes over the 1600's? Cost/availability/ride quality/handling/fit issues/turning radius issues? What do I need to know about these choices to make the big decision?

I have read about the front hub mod needed to use HEMTT wheels. No problem there. Question is, are these stock, non-modified HEMTT wheels and stock 920 lug nuts? Or is there modifications needed to the wheels and/or nuts? (Not sure I want to modify my nuts :lol: )

I know Soni uses a different kind of wheel. Is there an advantage to using those over the HEMTT? Cost difference? Availability?

Will both the HEMTT wheels and the ones Soni uses work with any of the above tire choices?

Will the tires track in the same line? Is there anything I need to do/change/modify to get them to track in the same line?

Thanks in advance!!

Ok...here is a quick overview:

-Stock HEMTT wheels are 20"x10"wide / they will accept 395/85-R20s, 14.00R20s and the 16.00R20s / Front needs modifications to the drums to fit / Rear needs longer studs or modified budcaps to be legal / Wheels have the wrong offset to track the same (front is much wider then the rear) / tire choices are limmited due to the fact that 20" rims are almost exclusively used by the Military today / these are heavy wheels, adding unsprung weight / replacement tire availability on the road: difficult to none / cost: $100.00 to $300.00 per wheel / $200.00 to $1650.00 per tire.

-Accuride commercial wheels are 22.5" x 13"wide / they will accept 425/75R22.5s and 445/75R22.5s / Front does not need to be modified to fit / steering stop screw for right hand turns needs to be slightly adjusted to prevent tire from hitting pitman arm in extreeme right lock position / Rear does not need longer studs or modified budcaps (single type wheel nuts needed for clean install / Wheels will track exactely the same front and back / lots of tire choices and diffrent tread designs readily available / much lighter wheels, reduceing unsprung weight and giving a better ride / replacement tires availability on the road: easy and good / cost: $450.00 to $550.00 per wheel / $580.00 to $930.00 per tire.

I hope this helps in your decission....Give me a call when you get a chance.

New number: (505) 787-9961

Soni

terraglide

Absolutely!!! I just bought an m920 remanned in 03 w/1150 miles on it. I'm totally stoked
about it and I know I'll benefit from that knowledge & experience. I've enjoyed the pics & articles
I've seen about yours Soni, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the thread in the future.

Parker

promodhotrod

Just a little tech tip here. For the front axle of the 916/920 the 16R21's like the LVS uses require no drum mods, use normal valve stems, and have good clearance for cooling. Plus the backspacing is perfect, flush with the fenders, about 101" outside to outside, and dont touch the steering gear. Oh and they use the same style lug nuts. I dont know anything about the rears as I didnt use the rears. You can get the tires for 50 bucks a piece. Hope this info is relavent.
KJ

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front brake hub M920 & M916 seal SKF Is maker #53790 installer National #RD293
Front nuts are 4 7/8 and if you can't find flange gasket the 5 ton gasket can be made to work just have to line it up right and three holes will line up an just use ballpeen hammer and pop the rest of the new holes.

Last edited:

powerhouseduece

OK, so for the hemmtt wheel, there is no mod that needs to be done on the rear, but the front stems interfear with the drum? What if someone was to weld the hole and re-drill the valve stem whole on the outside of the wheel? Any thoughts?

R Racing

Ok since I haven't seen them posted ( I did 3 searches for them ! ) Here are the filter PN for the M916 - M920
Fuel filter NAPA 3405
Oil Filter next to Block NAPA 1970
Oil Filter in Lube Finer on firewall FRAM C175E

R Racing

picked up these 80 led turn signals from fleet pride a while back. there pn is led1761lc for the left and led1761rc for the right. you need to splice the wires since they don't have a plug like the oem 1s but I think they look nice .

Attachments

eldgenb

by the way, installing 16.00 r 20's right now and found out that you have to use 20oz of equals (ballast media for balancing tires) per tire. About $20 per tire gets you smooth sailing, not bad trade for not pissing blood.

R Racing

Those of you looking for a shutterstat to control you fan on your cummins ( m915, m916, m917, m918, m919, m920 ) here ya go ;-)

190NC SHUTTERSTAT NOR/CLS ( THAT STANDS FOR NORMALLY CLOSED )
P/N KY1047-35000-30
Available from Superior Turbo & Injection
800-525-0164

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up my MK16 self loading trailer and the rims fit correct. If anyone cares the rims and tires off the MK16 and MK17 fit the bigger drums on the 920 without cutting the drum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks