• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916-M920 Tech & Tips

gpp111

I have owned an M818 for a couple of years but these just don't have any guts so I upgraded by purchasing a M920 in good condition from C&C Equip in Indiana. Vehicle is a good runner, 26k miles, new paint job and tires are 90%. I have scoured the govt manual but want to learn some tricks about shifting the cat trans, someone mentioned a 'how to' manual about this.

Appreciate any advice on this.

R Racing

Depending if I have a load or bob tail. With a load I start in 4 th -6th gear. Unloaded I start in 8th. Once I get moving I throttle up to like 2200 rpm then let off the throttle to about 1/3 throttle while shifting at the same time. When you hear it shift get back on the throttle again. It's a rythematic thing.once u get use to it its very smooth and gets u moving out quickly. Hope this helps.

86m1028

OK, so for the hemmtt wheel, there is no mod that needs to be done on the rear, but the front stems interfear with the drum? What if someone was to weld the hole and re-drill the valve stem whole on the outside of the wheel? Any thoughts?

Rear = no mods to drums, but I had to remove bevel on inner lug nuts for wheels to sit flush against wheel hubs.

Frt has to be machined not only for valve stem clearance but also wheel to sit flush against hubs.

eldgenb

Rear = no mods to drums, but I had to remove bevel on inner lug nuts for wheels to sit flush against wheel hubs.

Frt has to be machined not only for valve stem clearance but also wheel to sit flush against hubs.
or just do what I did and use a 7" grinder, disconnect the rear drivline, put the front on jackstands and put it in gear. (poor man's lathe). Make sure your front jackstands are up to the task first.

Bighurt

For the M920, what is the white plastic bottle on the floor of the cab for? What fluid does it hold, what is its purpose?
That's where M920 owners keep a little bit of Bighurt envy. Laughing at it and enjoying their trip.

It's OK though cause Murphy has my back and gets even now and then...

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I filled my plastic windshield washer bottle with windshield washer fluid up to the line. When I pushed the button on the dash, the bottle lid exploded off and I got soaked. It was fairly funny, but I do want it to work. It feels as if the full air pressure available is coming out the "In" hose and it seems like its far too much. I set it up again and tried just barely pushing the button to get some air in the bottle - It blew the lid off again. Anybody had this issue before?

R Racing

I filled my plastic windshield washer bottle with windshield washer fluid up to the line. When I pushed the button on the dash, the bottle lid exploded off and I got soaked. It was fairly funny, but I do want it to work. It feels as if the full air pressure available is coming out the "In" hose and it seems like its far too much. I set it up again and tried just barely pushing the button to get some air in the bottle - It blew the lid off again. Anybody had this issue before?
It could be your lines going to the nozzels could be clogged.

Barron

I've tried several search tries to find the thread or posting on shifting the CAT transmission in the 920. can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm sure I overlooked something. I have a chance of picking up either a 916 or a 920, to move heavy stuff around. The 916 is a 79 and shows 93,000 miles, has good recent CARC, and the 920 is an 80 model, shows less than 3,000 miles, needs 14 tires and a new cable in the winch. anyone have a preference?

R Racing

I've tried several search tries to find the thread or posting on shifting the CAT transmission in the 920. can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm sure I overlooked something. I have a chance of picking up either a 916 or a 920, to move heavy stuff around. The 916 is a 79 and shows 93,000 miles, has good recent CARC, and the 920 is an 80 model, shows less than 3,000 miles, needs 14 tires and a new cable in the winch. anyone have a preference?

Did you try 1 page back on this very same thread post #124 ?? I have a M920 and love it. You can get away with hauling more weight ( with the 80000 combined weight rule ) with the m916, since you have less weight( since you dont have the tag axle). also shorter turning radius.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks