• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916 maiden voyage from Texarkana TX to Richmond VA

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got the EUC approved, so I am off to get the new M916 from Texarkana TX. I will hopefully be able to drive it off the lot/base, do some preventative maintenance locally in Texarkana, and then the plan is to drive to Jacksonville FL to pick up a MK14 trailer. If I haven't pushed my luck to far... I would like to stop in Beaufort, SC and pick up a 20' container, and bring everything home to Richmond VA. Yes I have been on a binder lately with the government auctions:grin:.

488336_6002_159_0001.jpg525121_6262_159_0001.jpgIMG_2516.JPG20 alum cont.jpg

turnkey

Sounds like a road trip from ****.....moveing that much sight unseen....I hope god is your copilot........Like they say only need one opps to screw this up...Best of luck...

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Logistics is my thing, and I am bored:cool:. I will let you know in 10 days how it went. Wait until you see what I am planning to do with all of it...

JMPM35A2

Any pictures of your recovery so far? Looks like a nice rig. I'm near Richmond Va if you need any help on the home stretch.

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for the delayed response. I flew into Texarkana TX. Rented a car. Drove to Red River Army Depot (RRAD). Where the M916 was completely rebuilt July 2012. The Auction Rep was the greatest. He picked me up at the gate and drove me to the truck. They had filled it with fuel and put in 4 new batteries. The truck was very clean, and started right up. I drove the truck off base where the rental car had been staged. I did my check of all fluids, brakes, tires, air, all the stuff to reassure myself it was road worthy. I returned the rental car, and took a cab back to the truck. First stop is Oklahoma City for 2 Oshkosh 5500 two speed transfer cases. Drove without problem until dusk when I turned on the headlights. They worked for 10 minutes then both blew. I pulled into a truck stop that to my surprise had replacement headlights on the shelf. (I would rather be lucky than good any day). I removed the blown headlights and tested the voltage before installing the new ones. I thought it was strange that they both blew at the same time. I was surprised to find the headlights were being fed 24volts. Everything I have read on the M916 is that they should be 12v headlights, and the ones I got at the truck stop are defiantly 12v. I reconfigured the batteries to separate the 24v and 12v wires... still 24v at the headlights. The other thing I noticed is the volt meter on the dash went from centered to pegged high. I assume the voltage regulator died. This truck has an upgraded alternator with a divorced regulator. Everything works great except the headlights, so I run dedicated wires from the batteries to the headlights in a 12v setup and get back on the road. About Dawn it got cold, so I turned on the heater. You veteran M916 owners can guess what happened. Yep after about 10 minutes electrical things started shutting off. I made it to another truck stop, and tested the batteries only to find 2 of the 4 read 0 volts. Granted the batteries were the smallest and cheapest batteries you can get, they were fairly new and worked. Not to mention they were "free". I called the local auto parts store found 4 new and correct size batteries. I bribed the delivery driver to bring them to the truck stop, because after I turned the truck off, it would NOT restart. I was pleasantly surprised that the batteries actually fit like a glove with the stock battery hold down frame. I picked up the transfer cases. Next stop is Jacksonville, FL for the MK14 trailer. I drove without any issues to Jacksonville. The truck drove much smoother with the added weight over the rears. The Allison transmission is great and with the double overdrive will easily do 75mph @ 2200rpm. I lucked out and the driver seat is air suspension. It was great to pass all the governed "Big Rigs" and look DOWN into their cabs as I went by. I pull into the yard where the trailer is supposed to be, and as I pull in the rear air brakes start to drag and smoke. The gentleman at the yard was very helpful and recommended a shop next store. I took the truck to the shop to look at the brakes, and found out that the trailer was still on the base. The auction had not moved it to the yard. I decided to "punt," and flew home. More to come... Stay tuned!

Last edited:

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How was the pickup in Texarkana? Any issues with base or GP support?
My experience so far with GP personnel has been night and day different than with the liquidators. GP personnel have gone out of their way to help, and be accommodating. The other auction not so much.

Last edited:

Katavic918

Sorry for the delayed response. I flew into Texarkana TX. Rented a car. Drove to Red River Army Depot (RRAD). Where the M916 was completely rebuilt July 2012. The Auction Rep was the greatest. He picked me up at the gate and drove me to the truck. They had filled it with fuel and put in 4 new batteries. The truck was very clean, and started right up. I drove the truck off base where the rental car had been staged. I did my check of all fluids, brakes, tires, air, all the stuff to reassure myself it was road worthy. I returned the rental car, and took a cab back to the truck. First stop is Oklahoma City for 2 Oshkosh 5500 two speed transfer cases. Drove without problem until dusk when I turned on the headlights. They worked for 10 minutes then both went blew. I pulled into a truck stop that to my surprise had replacement headlights on the shelf. (I would rather be lucky than good any day). I removed the blown headlights and tested the voltage before installing the new ones. I thought it was strange that they both blew at the same time. I was surprised to find the headlights were being fed 24volts. Everything I have read on the M916 is that they should be 12v headlights, and the ones I got at the truck stop are defiantly 12v. I reconfigured the batteries to separate the 24v and 12v wires... still 24v at the headlights. The other thing I noticed is the volt meter on the dash went from centered to pegged high. I assume the voltage regulator died. This truck has an upgraded alternator with a divorced regulator. Everything works great except the headlights, so I run dedicated wires from the batteries to the headlights in a 12v setup and get back on the road. About Dawn it got cold, so I turned on the heater. You veteran M916 owners can guess what happened. Yep after about 10 minutes electrical things started shutting off. I made it to another truck stop, and tested the batteries only to find to of the 4 read 0 volts. Granted the batteries were the smallest and cheapest batteries you can get, they were fairly new and worked. Not to mention they were "free". I called the local auto parts store found 4 new and correct size batteries. I bribed the delivery driver to bring them to the truck stop, because after I turned the truck off, it would NOT restart. I was pleasantly surprised that the batteries actually fit like a glove with the stock battery hold down frame. I picked up the transfer cases. Next stop is Jacksonville, FL for the MK14 trailer. I drove without any issues to Jacksonville. The truck drove much smoother with the added weight over the rears. The Allison transmission is great and with the double overdrive will easily do 75mph @ 2200rpm. I lucked out and the driver seat is air suspension. It was great to pass all the governed "Big Rigs" and look DOWN into their cabs as I went by. I pull into the yard where the trailer is supposed to be, and as I pull in the rear air brakes start to drag and smoke. The gentleman at the yard was very helpful and recommended a shop next store. I took the truck to the shop to look at the brakes, and found out that the trailer was still on the base. The auction had not moved it to the yard. I decided to "punt," and flew home. More to come... Stay tuned!
I was a little worried with a month and no posts. I figured you were flaming in a ditch somewhere. Glad everything worked out, as i it did. Sounds like an awesome trip. I hope, (well know) I'll have a journey like this in the future. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Artisan

I would like to see the wires that come INTO the battery box.

I would have to recheck but I believe there are 2 large wires
which are 24V and one small wire that is supposed to be 12V.

Are they hooked up to OE specs?
Sounds like that small wire that is supposed
to be 12V was wired as 24V (BAD JUJU).

Get that FIXED ASAP.

These trucks are good less the bad Headlight switch, just keep
the dash lights on HIGH AT ALL TIMES to attempt to prevent
a burn. Do not add electrical stuff unless you upgrade charging
system.

Yep, I bet that 12V power lead was powered WRONG w/ 24V....

The Artisan's M916 thread has an M916 Electrical Schematic
on page 1 I think it is. Be precise...in all your endeavors and
live w/ your face in the TM's and life will be a LOT easier.

THANK YOU SIR DOGHEAD

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to see the wires that come INTO the battery box.

I would have to recheck but I believe there are 2 large wires
which are 24V and one small wire that is supposed to be 12V.

Are they hooked up to OE specs?
Sounds like that small wire that is supposed
to be 12V was wired as 24V (BAD JUJU).

Get that FIXED ASAP.

These trucks are good less the bad Headlight switch, just keep
the dash lights on HIGH AT ALL TIMES to attempt to prevent
a burn. Do not add electrical stuff unless you upgrade charging
system.

Yep, I bet that 12V power lead was powered WRONG w/ 24V....

The Artisan's M916 thread has an M916 Electrical Schematic
on page 1 I think it is. Be precise...in all your endeavors and
live w/ your face in the TM's and life will be a LOT easier.

THANK YOU SIR DOGHEAD
Because the Allison transmission was added, and the rebuild in 2012... many things are NOT as described in the TM's. The batteries are wired per the TM with the addition of an extra wire that goes to the Allison transmission. I looked at the dash headlight switch, and it does have indications of getting hot. the pull knob feels loose, and the dash lights will cut in and out if I wiggle it. At this point i believe one of two things. 1 the headlights were rewired to be 24v intentionally, or more likely the voltage regulator has malfunctioned. The truck began with the volt gauge reading 13v and the headlights worked. Now the volt gauge reads pegged high, and I have 24v at the headlights which blew up. I am trying to figure out how the upgraded Alt and reg is setup such that with a bad regulator all 12v stuff would still work, but the headlights would be fed 24v.

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New Update

So I have been waiting for the shop in Jacksonville, FL to get a new regulator. They called on Thursday and said the shop went out of business. I drove from Richmond, VA to FL on Friday not knowing what I would find when I got there. We arrived at 6PM on Friday to find the landlord clearing out the building, and the M916 in the parking lot. The Alternator and regulator had been removed. We decided to limp the truck home on batteries only. Every night we hooked up the 12/24 volt pack to the 2 batteries on the chase truck. This required moving one wire on the 4 battery pack to assure ALL 4 batteries got charged by a single 12 volt source. We still need to find a new regulator... I think. The only additional wires at the battery pack besides the main 24 Volt +/- are 2 pink and one grey wire. I assumed the 2 pink are positive, and the one grey would be the 12 Volt negative. Everything worked great when I picked up the truck. The Volt gauge was in the middle of the "Normal" range. An hour or so into the maiden voyage the gauge went to pegged high voltage and the headlights blew out. The truck continued to operate minus the headlights, but stopped recharging the batteries. Was it wired wrong and took out the regulator? Is it just a bad regulator? Is it a bad Alternator? The Truck is home now so I need to figure it out.
IMG_2624.jpgIMG_2623.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks