• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923/A1 New acquisition

Durango_USMC

Rambling Wreck,

I'm pretty sure he wants the trailer to act as it's own tanker and pump with a 2,000 gallon capacity. Giving the truck/trailer combination a 3,000 gallon capacity in total. Thats going to be a lot of weight to move, and more importantly stop.

nlauffer,

I'm just curious how much the extra equipment weighs.

~16,700 lbs in water alone (not counting tanks, pumps, genset, fuel, misc equpiment) in the trailer.
~8,350 lbs of water alone (again not counting tank etc...) in the bed of the truck.

Looks like a great combination of truck and trailer. Excellent idea to have the trailer able to operate independantly (although not mobile). Make sure the ABS is working, they had some issues with that when the M923 is shut down improperly.

Last edited:

nlauffer

The trailer I believe is rated at 22000 lbs. Yes this is a heavy load, but these trucks are very capable. The truck has a full military rebuild with about 40 hours on it. ABS, brakes, engine, trans, tires. All in great shape.

The truck will be finished first and then weighed.
Going off the TM, the truck should handle the weight of this combo. As well speaking with some guys that used these trucks overseas. They will handle much more abuse than the TM says it will.

I'm sure the truck will pull it. I was just a little concerned about the load rating of the trailer axles and tires. Good luck with the build. Keep us posted with updates and pics.

Durango_USMC

I'm definitely not worried about the HEMAT trailer holding the weight. But given the liabilities and the society that we live in, I'm just concerned about stopping to avoid any issue that would involve liability.[thumbzup]

I've been eye balling those trailers for a while, when I finally get a 5 ton I'll be getting the M989A1 to tote behind it. Plus its lower and longer than a M105A2 and seems almost infinitely more useful. But I must say the trailer as a stand alone is apparatus is a brilliant plan that I like a lot. I can't wait to see it done.

nlauffer

If that is the case, I'll let you know that we have a side project going. We are making a remote wildland fire monitor that will attach to the bumper. These sell from $5000 and up. I have all the parts, but two pieces sitting by my desk. The total will be around $500.

nlauffer

Here are the parts we purchased. There are two swivels that are not pictured, they are on backorder. It also turns out the actuator at the top (small one) is too big. It has a 2" stroke and we only needed .25" stroke. That will adjust the spray pattern.

Attachments

preyn2

Is this following Roscommon's plan? If not, please take extensive notes (part numbers, vendors, etc), photos, etc., so that others can follow your lead.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this.

nlauffer

Sorry, I got a little busy.

Actuators are from www.dcactuators.com and the part number is 6108T. Two of these are needed at $114.00 each. Plumbing parts from the hardware store are somewhere around $20.00. I bought a nozzle from Cascade Fire equipment for $30.00. A mounting plate will need to be fabricated to mount to the bumper or wherever. Piping water to it and deciding on a shutoff valve. We will be using an air operated valve for ours, but just a simple t-handle valve could be used.

The Roscommon monitor is a nice setup, but we did not want to put that much time into it, this go around. The shielding and left-to-right movement are the main differences. We are also looking for a joystick for controlling it instead of switches. I have most of the parts and part numbers and prices, but we are not finished yet. When I finish this project I will post a complete part and price list and build guide.

preyn2

Far out! Just a suggestion: When you get around to posting the part numbers, plans, and PICTURES of the remote nozzle, you might consider posting that as a new thread to make it more easily searchable.

nlauffer

Thes pics are just some during pics. The first one is where we had cut the front of the bed off. The second one (the sideways one) is the exhaust setup before high heat paint. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th are of the interior as it was getting painted white. As you can see the outside had not been painted yet.

nlauffer

Also, if you look in picture 4, you will see where I had removed all the MWO tags and rebuild tags. I noticed there was someone on here looking for MWO tags. If that person is still looking and doesn't mind already dated ones. I will look to see if I still have them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks