• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 questions

TacticalDoc

I'm looking at picking up a 5 ton. I had a deuce in the past but had to sell it. Now I'm interested in a 5 ton. Unfortunately, I don't know much about them. I have been reading the posts here on the 5 ton forum but I don't understand a few things. What is the difference between the M923-A1 and A2? What problems do these truck usually have? Some have been reworked in 2006 and 2010. Does this mean they were maintained well? What usually need to be fixed or replaced? what spare parts should I get for it? I'm trying to anticipate the issues I may have with one.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A1's have the same engine as the 923 but Super single tires. A2's have a completely different engine than the M923 and A1 and same tires as the A1, they also have the CTIS system.
Well It seems my 923 has oil in the coolant and is spitting it out the overflow tube on the expansion tank, everything seems to point to the oil cooler needing replacement, judging by a few posts on here, that seems to be a standard repair, Dust boots on the front axle seem to be an issue on ALL the trucks. If you get an A2, I'm sure wheel seals and various parts on the CTIS system will go bad. I've got a 923 and a 923A2 both have issues. A2 has a pretty bad vibration once I hit about 55mph, haven't figured that problem out yet.

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

I'm trying to get one w/o CTIS system. I heard they are just trouble? I'm also thinking of not getting the super single tires. I'd rather have 10 tires and its easier move the smaller tires. Also easier to find the smaller tires. If I need more traction I'll put chains on them. Is the A2 motor better? If so how?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well two things come to my mind,quieter and fuel mileage. With a M923 your top speed will be about 55mph@ redline 2100 rpm.. A1 and A2 65mph or so.
Page 200 is a good starting point of TM 9-2320-272-23-1 I haven't had any trouble so far with my A2 CTIS but I hear I'm a fluke. It definitely makes a difference. I could only get into my yard last winter about 10 ft with my tires in Highway, Deflated them to mud/sand and it made all the difference. Gonna be a hard choice. I prefer the higher road speed and quieter engine with the A2. Of course you don't have to use the CTIS. I run my A3 deuce tires at 60lbs by manual air and don't touch the CTIS anymore on that. Hard choice, but you can't just have one. LOL

Rifleman

The super single tires on the A1 and A2 are really nice and have a better ride and will off road better then the smaller G177 Goodyear tires. Pro's for the smaller Goodyear's are the fact that they are the same size tires as used by over the road trucks so you can buy a replacement from any truck stop anywhere in the country.

The super single is a unique sized tire, and if your away from home base and need a replacement tire your going to have to order it and wait to take delivery. Another pro of the G177 Goodyear's is they weight about 250 pounds each, so one person can change a tire by themselves, the super singles weight about 500 pounds each and are alot harder to change by yourself, that's were soldier B come's in handy.

Another plus to the smaller tires is when you have to change a flat the G177 Goodyear's lug nuts are torqued to 325 to 350 foot pounds, the super singles lug nuts are torqued to 450 to 500 foot pounds, this is another case were soldier B come's in VERY HANDY.

The difference between the M923 and say a M925 truck is the M925 has a winch and the M923 does not. As other members have pointed out the A1 has the super single tires and the non turbo motor. The A2 has the super single tires along with the turbo motor. Now the non A1 and A2 trucks come with the smaller tires along with the non turbo motor.

My truck has the non turbo Cummin's 250 with the smaller tires and i am able to drive it at 55 MPH at 1900 RPM. Now due to the nature of these trucks i am not so sure i would want to drive it much faster then 55 MPH, but YMMV. I have never owned or driven the turbo equipped A2 model truck so i can offer you not insight on that engine.

Now i know other members who own the turbo trucks and they tell me that the fuel mileage is better in the turbo truck and while driving them they say that the noise level inside the cab is alot less then inside the non turbo truck and they ride nicer on the super singles.

All in all i think you will be happy with whatever model truck you end up buying. One thing i will tell you, try to buy a truck with all the equipment you want already on it. The reason i say this, lets say you buy a truck without a winch and you really wanted one with a winch, it will cost you a few thousand dollars to add that winch later on, so your money ahead buying it with the equipment you want in the first place, then trying to add it on later. That's just my 2 cents YMMV.

Last edited:

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The super single tires on the A1 and A2 are really nice and have a better ride and will off road better then the smaller G177 Goodyear tires. Pro's for the smaller Goodyear's are the fact that they are the same size tires as used by over the road trucks so you can buy a replacement from any truck stop anywhere in the country.

The super single is a unique sized tire, and if your away from home base and need a replacement tire your going to have to order it and wait to take delivery. Another pro of the G177 Goodyear's is they weight about 250 pounds each, so one person can change a tire by themselves, the super singles weight about 500 pounds each and are alot harder to change by yourself, that's were soldier B come's in handy.

Another plus to the smaller tires is when you have to change a flat the G177 Goodyear's lug nuts are torqued to 325 to 350 foot pounds, the super singles lug nuts are torqued to 450 to 500 foot pounds, this is another case were soldier B come's in VERY HANDY.

The difference between the M923 and say a M925 truck is the M925 has a winch and the M923 does not. As other members have pointed out the A1 has the super single tires and the non turbo motor. The A2 has the super single tires along with the turbo motor. Now the non A1 and A2 trucks come with the smaller tires along with the non turbo motor.

My truck has the non turbo Cummin's 250 with the smaller tires and i am able to drive it at 55 MPH at 1900 RPM. Now due to the nature of these trucks i am not so sure i would want to drive it much faster then 55 MPH, but YMMV. I have never owned or driven the turbo equipped A2 model truck so i can offer you not insight on that engine.

Now i know other members who own the turbo trucks and they tell me that the fuel mileage is better in the turbo truck and while driving them they say that the noise level inside the cab is alot less then inside the non turbo truck and they ride nicer on the super singles.

All in all i think you will be happy with whatever model truck you end up buying. One thing i will tell you, try to buy a truck with all the equipment you want already on it. The reason i say this, lets say you buy a truck without a winch and you really wanted one with a winch, it will cost you a few thousand dollars to add that winch later on, so your money ahead buying it with the equipment you want in the first place, then trying to add it on later. That's just my 2 cents YMMV.

:ditto:

TacticalDoc

Great write up...thanks. I'm leaning toward the smaller tires since they are easier to find and change. I don't want the added weight of a winch in front and will probably add an electric winch later. The turbo would be nice but I don't want the CTIS issues. But as the prioe poster said I think I'll be happy with any of them. If anyone has a 5 ton for sale in the Central FL area let me know. I'll keep looking on GL

trooper632

I have both the A1 and A2, Love the quiet motor of the A2, I also have the CTIs on three trucks and they all work never have had any problems with them. With that said I like the A1 motor just fine its just loud.

NightOwl

I read somewhere that the A2 Cummins 8.3 engine is lighter than the Cummins 250 engine.

My CTIS is still working fine. Although, I have not put it threw its paces yet. The trucks do come with a spare super single tire, but I would not want to change one on the side of a highway. Hello truck stops. I bought a tow bar before I even got my truck.

I'd go with the newer A2.

TacticalDoc

what spare parts should I have? I'm thinking of getting a spare starter, hoses, belts, gas tank pump. What parts are interchangeable between the 923, A1 and A2?

mcmullag

Just live it man. : ) Keep reading on here, get the truck, try to find other owners of the rig, join a military vehicle club and have fun. I watch gov liq and it seems like many of these have been rebuilt within the last 6 years and have low miles since rebuild so you probably are not going to have problems with it. Mine has 12,000 on it since rebuild in 2008010.jpg. The engine plate states the cummins 6CTA was built in 2008 by Dresser. The whole truck looks pretty much new, came out of the NV national guard.

osudieselguy

I'm a noob to the forum and to the 5-ton-from-GL experience. I went to the GL DRMO site and hastily inspected 65+ m939 series trucks. I started a bunch of them and pared it down to a half-dozen or so nice ones. A bunch of them were RR reconditioned and seduced me with their sexy good looks. I bid and won one...wahoo! Then the honeymoon was over. I failed to diligently go over the truck as I should have. The one I got smoked a little and ran a little rough, but I figured that was because it hadn't warmed up yet. It sure was a pretty thing. Towed it home because of the absence of tag/insurance/title. What I thought was wedding night jitters was a crankcase full of antifreeze, a blown head gasket, and a wiped liner and piston. My credit card is showing signs of overuse, and the wife is not happy. I'm going to fix the motor, but I'm not feeling the love I felt at first sight.
Good luck, check it over and over and over again.

ichudov

I'm a noob to the forum and to the 5-ton-from-GL experience. I went to the GL DRMO site and hastily inspected 65+ m939 series trucks. I started a bunch of them and pared it down to a half-dozen or so nice ones. A bunch of them were RR reconditioned and seduced me with their sexy good looks. I bid and won one...wahoo! Then the honeymoon was over. I failed to diligently go over the truck as I should have. The one I got smoked a little and ran a little rough, but I figured that was because it hadn't warmed up yet. It sure was a pretty thing. Towed it home because of the absence of tag/insurance/title. What I thought was wedding night jitters was a crankcase full of antifreeze, a blown head gasket, and a wiped liner and piston. My credit card is showing signs of overuse, and the wife is not happy. I'm going to fix the motor, but I'm not feeling the love I felt at first sight.
Good luck, check it over and over and over again.
Sorry to hear this. How did you find out that crankcase was full of antifreeze? I feel like I need to check mine now.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
How much are you paying for the repair? If you have coolant mixing with oil it will look white and foamy you should see it when you pull the dipstick. I have seen a ring break apart and kill a piston/liner and valves but the head gasket was fine. Its not too bad of a repair if you dont get killed on the labor.

Last edited:

osudieselguy

The dipstick showed a dark gray oil about two inches above normal, not shiny black. I drew an oil sample and let it sit in a mason jar for a few hours. At the bottom of the jar was a layer of antifreeze that separated out. Don't want to run it for fear of wiping out the lower end bearings. Just getting started. Motor looks new. Beautiful paint job, new hoses, etc. RRAD knows how to whitewash, but missed a few details in the motor area. 3000 miles, little over 100 hrs. Good looking driveway ornament.

osudieselguy

Well it’s been almost two years since I bought the truck (I won the auction, but I felt like a loser). Here’s a quick summary of the process.

I drained the schmootz (mixture of coolant and oil) out of the crank case and dropped the pan. Lots of metal in there too. I put some water in the coolant system and it started to rain under the no. 2 cylinder. Diagnosis: liner seals are not doing their jobs.
Dropped a main bearing cap. Bearing dull and worn. Diagnosis: water in oil damaged the bearings.
Looks like an in-frame rebuild in my future. Call to Interstate McBee for a rebuild kit.