• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 Air Leak

machinist75

I had my 923 running today when I heard a air leak. It wasn't coming from underneath the truck but under the hood. Popped it up, climbed up in and traced it to a hexagonal part coming out the front towards the top of the motor. It's to the left of the radiator hose coming out the top passenger side of the radiator and with a smaller hose with a 90 degree fitting coming out the top. It looks like it may have a weep hole in the front that the air is coming out. I cat feel it with my hand. Anyone with some experience with this or can point me to the proper tm would be much appreciated. Haven't had the truck long enough to learn the ins and outs like I did my deuce.

Attachments

machinist75

Thanks Mike.A buddy just told me the same thing. My truck had started to get hot the last couple times I ran it. Was going to flush coolant system to remedy the situation. This may be the culprit. I may be able to take it off and soak it in some air tool oil and get it workin again.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't seen an air over water switch in forever. The last time I needed to replace one I had to convert it to electric over water. An advantage to doing this is that you can install a switch to turn on the fan when ever you want it to be on as well as coming on automaticially,

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just disassemble the fan drive clutch actuator and clean it. You can remove the cap from the end of the actuator housing without removing the housing from the engine. Use some some lithium grease on the piston when you reassemble. I think there are o-rings but I can't remember for sure from when I serviced mine. If there are o-rings, I replaced them.

machinist75

I took it apart today. Was a booger to get off. was really on there. The two small o-rings look good, but the larger o-ring on the piston is flat on the outside. Going to auto parts store in the morning. Will see if they carry lithium grease. I dont see why replacing the o-rings will not work, instead of buying a high dollar nos part. Will let y'all know how it turns out. Thanks.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The o-rings will work. O-rings that have been install for a long time take the shape of the space they are compressed into. Some will come out triangular, flat, square, etc. They all started out round.

machinist75

I found the two small o-rings at Orilys, but no luck on the larger one. Thought I found it at Home Depot with there #10 in the plumbing department but it's not fat enough. Also tried Napa wih no luck. Antony who rebuilt there's remember where they found the large o-ring? Thanks

Csm Davis

I think he ment that the cold weather is partly the reason which would make a little difference in size and it might but it probably just is the last straw kind of thing, mine just leaked a bit.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't argue with the cold being a trigger - mine popped today as I was prepping a 931 for a recovery Friday. It was cold (by Texas standards) last night. It was fine when I ran the truck on Saturday.

Cheers

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just disassemble the fan drive clutch actuator and clean it. You can remove the cap from the end of the actuator housing without removing the housing from the engine. Use some some lithium grease on the piston when you reassemble. I think there are o-rings but I can't remember for sure from when I serviced mine. If there are o-rings, I replaced them.
I took my actuator apart and replaced the O-rings and cleaned everything up and it works perfect. Thanks for the info it only cost me $1.18, verses the high price they were asking for a replacement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks