• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Aquisition

mdemars03

So Friday 10/10/15 I took possession of a 1989 BMY M923A2 :naner:. I have to say going from a 1965 M52A2 to this is a HUGE upgrade in my opinion. I know there are some who will argue that it isn't a total upgrade since I lost the multifuel capability, but since I don't have a way to easily obtain alternative fuels or filter WMO I would just have been running diesel anyway. So far I am extremely pleased with my purchase. I also have to send a huge thank you to 98G for making the purchase and title transfer extremely smooth and easy.

Mechanically the truck is in very good shape. It has plenty of power, starts right up, and runs like a dream. The few items that need to be fixed or replaced have absolutely nothing to do with drivability or safety. I need to install the CTIS parts on the right front tire, I need to replace one part and install the CTIS parts on the left rear tire, and need to replace the left rear mud flap. None of those will cause any issues with driving the truck. For obvious reasons the CTIS is disconnected from the control box, but again, not a drivability issue at all.

There are several things I want to do with it as the funds become available and I source parts. Some will wait on me finding a decent deal on parts, some I will take as I find them, others will have to wait until I have the money saved up to buy what I want.

I have a complete 2 station VIC-1 system to install, although before I completely hook it up I plan on getting a MX-7777 surge suppressor. I plan on getting one or two more stations to install in the bed. If I do one station it will have the loudspeaker and mic, if I do two stations they will probably have headsets. I also have a RT-524 radio to install. I ordered all the cables to hook that up. I still need to source the cable to connect the RT-524 to the VIC-1, but again that is something that can be done at a later time. I just need to get the sugar scoop for the antenna and a mounting system for the radio and I will be set.

After electronics I want to get a hard top for it, preferably one that already has the hatch for the LWS. The tuck already has the LWS mounts on the truck. Eventually I would like to source a LWS and mount it, but due to the cost that will be a while down the road.

Body wise, I may put a fresh coat of paint on it. I also want to find a set of bows and cover for the bed. I need to figure out some sort of storage system in the bed that won't interfere with the troop seats so I can store and organize tools, chains, spare parts, etc. I also want to find some kind of ladder system for the tailgate to make it easier for people to get in the back, but also folds up and stores easily.

I plan on mounting lights all the way around the truck. I want to set some on the bumper, on top of the cab, back side of the cab facing to the side, one or two (haven't totally decided yet) per side on the bed facing the side, and a set on the back of the truck facing rear. The rear lights I want to put on a separate switch so I can use them for offroad use and as back up lights. For other lights I have a set of LED headlights I plan on putting on it on my next day off of work. I have considered LED turn signals, but have read where several people have had issues getting them to work right so I think I will leave the turn signals alone.

I am also planning on getting locking door handles and a keyed battery disconnect or keyed ignition switch (recommendations on which would be better are welcome). I would like to get a back up camera system for it as well. Speaking of batteries, I am considering the battery relocation kit. If anyone has pros or cons of relocating the batteries please by all means let me know. I will definitely be adding 24v solargizers and a 24v to 12v power converter as well.

One concern I do have with the truck though is with all the added electronics I plan on eventually adding (VIC-1, RT-524, lights, etc.) will I need to replace the alternator to a higher capacity one and if so any recommendations on what to use?

Of course as with all projects there will be more things to add and something else I will find that I think would look good on the truck as I go. It wont all be done at one time, and may even take a couple years to get everything I want done, although in all reality with projects like this you never really are done adding things.

I will keep updating as things are added and take plenty of pictures to add to the posts as well.

Attachments

74M35A2

There is an M939 LWS hardtop in the SS classifieds right now (MI). Not cheap, but if you have to have it, it looks to be a factory piece.

I added storage and tool boxes to my 925A2 bed that do not interfere with the troop seats. Check my posts under "What have you done to your 5 ton this week" thread.

If you add LED lights, the current draw will be held very low. Those plus intercom systems are not enough alone to justify and alternator up size, in my opinion. The factory alternator spits out over 60 amps even at idle, of which only about 5amp or so are used for a short period to recharge the batteries after starting a properly maintained 8.3L. The factory alternator will burn out if max loaded at idle for a while, but I don't see that happening in your case if you keep batteries in it that are 5 years old or newer. I use 2 group 31 semi truck batteries, the are $100 each and leave more room under the seat for other nonsense.

Last edited:

mdemars03

I added storage and tool boxes to my 925A2 bed that do not interfere with the troop seats. Check my posts under "What have you done to your 5 ton this week" thread.

If you add LED lights, the current draw will be held very low. Those plus intercom systems are not enough alone to justify and alternator up size, in my opinion. The factory alternator spits out over 60 amps even at idle, of which only about 5amp or so are used for a short period to recharge the batteries after starting a properly maintained 8.3L. The factory alternator will burn out if max loaded at idle for a while, but I don't see that happening in your case if you keep batteries in it that are 5 years old or newer. I use 2 group 31 semi truck batteries, the are $100 each and leave more room under the seat for other nonsense.
I did see the boxes you have in the "What have you done to your 5 ton" thread and it is a nice looking set up. I will most likely go that route. I definitely want something with individual drawers for tools, and also a large box for chains, ropes, etc.

As far as the electrical, that's what I needed to know. I remember seeing a thread somewhere here where someone was talking about an upgraded alternator. I just wanted to make sure I would have enough amps for everything and not have issues with my alternator. I know exactly what you mean about only two batteries. It only has two already so I have room for extra crap under the seat.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Matt
I will bring a mx7777 back with me from ga. Had one with me the other day (actually four or five) but they were buried. Didn't know you wanted one or it slipped my mind you did.

mdemars03

No rush on either. I'm not rushing to get it done. Just my overall plans for it.

As far as the MX-7777 I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it. I just know from what I have been reading in the electronics section it is a good idea to have for any electronics.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have a VIC1 system in my deuce already. We'll take a look at that and take a look at the manuals and take a look at storage (that's scary, dangerous and intriguing all at the same time). Heck we may even find some cables AND Jimmy Hoffa before we're done.

JohnnyBM931A2

There is an M939 LWS hardtop in the SS classifieds right now (MI). Not cheap, but if you have to have it, it looks to be a factory piece.

Do you happen to have a picture of your battery setup? :) Sounds like a good plan if I have to replace my batteries at some point. Are there any serious drawbacks to having only 2 in these trucks, or are they higher-amp batteries that make up for it?

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
image.jpgimage.jpgNice looking truck. Here is how I added a folding ladder to my M923 tailgate. It is a boarding ladder from a boat. Works ok but I use a chain instead of a strap across the troop seat racks and use the chain as a hand hold to use the ladder.

mdemars03

View attachment 587233View attachment 587232Nice looking truck. Here is how I added a folding ladder to my M923 tailgate. It is a boarding ladder from a boat. Works ok but I use a chain instead of a strap across the troop seat racks and use the chain as a hand hold to use the ladder.
Nice setup. I might just have to look for a boat boarding ladder now. I like how it folds up nicely and is out of the way when the tailgate is up.

mdemars03

I have a VIC1 system in my deuce already. We'll take a look at that and take a look at the manuals and take a look at storage (that's scary, dangerous and intriguing all at the same time). Heck we may even find some cables AND Jimmy Hoffa before we're done.
With as much as you have Jimmy Hoffa is a possibility. I'm looking right now to figure a good spot for the VIC-1 in the cab.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
image.jpgThat is what happens when you work in a boat yard and someone says they are going to throw away a stainless steel ladder that had a little rust staining on it. I blasted it and painted it to match the truck. Acorn nuts on the back side which I'll paint when I do the tailgate.

mdemars03

View attachment 587237That is what happens when you work in a boat yard and someone says they are going to throw away a stainless steel ladder that had a little rust staining on it. I blasted it and painted it to match the truck. Acorn nuts on the back side which I'll paint when I do the tailgate.
Very nice and clean install. Makes you wonder what else some people throw away that maybe just has a small amount of fixable rust.

mdemars03

Do you happen to have a picture of your battery setup? :) Sounds like a good plan if I have to replace my batteries at some point. Are there any serious drawbacks to having only 2 in these trucks, or are they higher-amp batteries that make up for it?
I will take a pic of my batteries tomorrow when there is some sun to see them. From what I have read on here there isn't much drawback of only 2 batteries. From the research I have done the main thing is to be sure to get two with plenty of cold cranking amps.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
We'll need to go out and see 1954COE. He has his rigged for two wire and cut the battery box so as to fit a center consol. Very nice, very professional.

mdemars03

So this afternoon I knocked off two of the many things I want to do with my truck. I purchased a couple of lockable tool boxes for the bed and I swapped out the standard headlights for LED's. Still a bunch of stuff left I want to do but just take it a little at a time and everything will work out.