• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 cab leaking water

therooster2001

My first top was awful, and had years of neglect sitting at some base, so I had to get a new (used) top. Rust down the back window sill let in water and ruined my battery box, and had to get pieces of the floor welded. Got a new to me top, with new hardware, and I put the original thick water seal in the back, but then used a good bead of the black window sealant to really be sure water couldn’t get in. That was the biggie. The front windows are not that great at getting things waterproof, particularly head on, but new window gaskets helped some. The doors don’t seem to let things in, despite a huge gap, and really limited weatherstripping. Lastly, the truck enjoys being spoiled parked inside the garage, so soaking overnight rainstorms aren’t an issue. It’s seen enough action..

FWIW, my HMMWV top leaks more than the 5-ton cab, which isn’t anything I have noticed after the top swap and seal.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The can says, among other thins, gutters and roof flashings. I have been known to use Flex Seal to plug things up. I think it’s latex based...

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If Simp says it works, it does! I would like to know if it dries or stays flexible and can it be painted over... What we need is a vat of this stuff big enough to dip the cab in. 😜

Last edited:

Hamrick907

SImp seems to know a lot of things.
Very helpful guy.
I was going to rip up the floor in the cab.
Maybe this prune stuff would be good to spray the floor with.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you get the floor rust under control, take a look at horse trailer rubber mat (tractor Supply). I covered the floor in my M934 with it. It’s about a half inch thick, has a diamond plate pattern on one side and is made from recycled tires. It’s very dense stuff. I cut it with a saber saw with a metal blade. There are bits of steel belt in the rubber. It knocked down the noise in the cab and gives a nice looking, durable floor. Now when the cab leaks I just have a small puddle on the rubber mat. Just be sure the steel is properly coated before covering it with the rubber mat. Maybe spay a coat of prune seal on it!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It works. I mostly use it on seals for support to keep water out and areas water can get into and sit. I use it on turret covers and on the seals on the 5 ton hard tops

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just ordered mine on Amazon this morning. Same $5.27 a can with free delivery on orders of $25 or more. I didn't have to go fetch it that way.

I am using my spray to go between the spring brake air tank and the metal plate that it rests on... Making a cushion and waterproofing all in one. simp5782 recommended Prune Spray for that application for me. This post hits the highlights on that... https://www.steelsoldiers.com/posts/2295162/

Hamrick907

Good idea on the rubber mat.
I have to take care of the foam on the back wall of the cab also.
Started falling off and is degraded pretty bad.
I was thinking of using 80mil sound deadening material.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Good idea on the rubber mat.
I have to take care of the foam on the back wall of the cab also.
Started falling off and is degraded pretty bad.
I was thinking of using 80mil sound deadening material.
Foam board insulation from home depot works well in replacement of that stock crap

A horse stall 3/4" thick rubber mat works well on the floor. They have fiberglass in them that keep Temps down. Found at tractor supply.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What do you use to cover the foam?
Ive just painted the foam black and left it exposed. Stick it to the back wall with super 77 spray adhesive spray Or you can use the same rubber mat for the floor on the back wall and use self tap screws with fender washers to go thru the rubber into the rear cab braces to cover up the foam

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks