• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 came home with me today!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That really is a nice find. I can see that while the deuce is more economical to purchase in drive-home condition, something like that is worth buying as-is and then expending some resources to get it fixed up. I almost got to drive one of them a few years back. The State guard wears the same uniform as the National guard except the "ARMY" name tape and beret flash, and we both happened to be participating in the same Veterans day parade.. well I got there early and was standing around taking pics with my camera like a tourist looking at the 900's the NG had brought, and a NG master sergeant came up to me (never stand around looking idle!) and say "Sergeant, move these trucks over there and line 'em up", pointing about 200 yards away to the end of the staging area.. Propriety got the best of me but it took a couple of seconds to think about it. The upside is that this year everyone gets trained on the current issue 5-tons and pistol qualified, I found this out yesterday and can't wait. :D trucks and guns, guns and trucks..

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks David, I am looking forward to working on it and getting it roadworthy. I need to force myself to take my time with it so I don't miss something and break expensive parts.

Good story OPCOM!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, We have two at the meseum. I used one to pull my M127 with my dolly from San Antiono to Houston. It pulled it 62MPH and got 7.5 MPG. It's really quiet for a M series. You'll love it. Great find!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if an M936A2 with a complete wrecker kit (and my butt) weighs more than an M925A2/M923A2 with a 155, but I've driven my old M936A2 from NC to MD at 60+ mph...no problems...plenty of guts. I've said it before...while I like the NHC250...the 6CTA 8.3 is a better motor. That motor kicks our butt back in the seat.

Bruce

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Bill,
Long time no see :D I forgot that you had a couple of 900's in your stable. So, a C-16 CAT eh? That should be fun. You still running duals or did you switch to A1/A2 singles?

Hey Bruce,
My Op manual says 36,910lbs empty weight for your 936A2!! Holy cow that's a lot of truck. If it felt strong, I can't wait to drive this 923A2. It should feel downright sporty :)

jasonjc

Back in the day I had a M923 and it ran great alot of get up and go.(may have been truned up????) later on I drove some A2's and none of them had the same get up and go. Took alot to get them rolling but after they got going they seem ok.?.
??? 900 had NHC250
A2 had 6TCA 8.3??? is this right
what is the HP and troqe for each??

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
NHC250 is 250hp/ 685 lb-ft@1500rpm, 8.3 is 240hp/ 745 lb-ft@1500rpm . 923A2 weighs 1200lb less than a 923A1. I've heard better reviews about the 8.3 trucks as far as acceleration, but don't have any first-hand experience. 60 lb-ft should make a nice difference though. Op manual lists the NHC250 trucks getting 3-4 MPG and and the 8.3 CTA trucks getting 5.5-6 MPG, so that's a plus for long trips. The 8.3 has an adjustable fuel plate like the 5.9 so power changes can be made pretty easily. Higher HP 8.3 injectors are available too. I plan on leaving it stock though.

jasonjc

Don't get me wrong I'd love to get an A2 it just seemed to take alot to get it up to 10-20mph then it seemed the trbo would kick in then it would go.There may have been some thing wrong with the ones I drove back then. :?
I'm shure you will have yous up and runing soon.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, that's a verrry cool truck. Lots of 5 tons coming out. It'll be great to see the 900's come out as well. After seeing that I know I'm not done with my green addiction. Those are some great pictures.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M936A2 wrecker was slow off of the line...but after about 5 mph, that sucker really pulled...HARD! I literally mean that you could feel your butt sink into the seat each time it shifted. My M932A2 tractor is almost like a race car because it is fairly light (since it has no bed and it has the shorter chassis). That truck really can move. Unfortunately, the M932A2 was just sold to a fellow SS member, although it has not left yet. I know he will love the truck.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MORE PICS!!

More pics for y'all. We did some looking around trying to make a parts wanted list. Got a few more shots for y'all.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: MORE PICS!!

Chris, can you take a pic of the passenger door with the Navy and numbers present?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: MORE PICS!!

Welcome to the 5-ton family Chris! Beautiful truck, looks like a lot of back breaking work ahead with all the oversized parts. :)

Chad, welcome to the site, it's been a while since Charleston, I think Chris will need your help to get this one done in time for Aberdeen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks