• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Cold Weather Recovery Tomorrow!

HASSON1911

Wow that is a heck of a good deal. All the ones I have looked at for the past 3 weeks have gone over 7k. looks like you got one that slipped under the radar. Good job!

chadande

The tube that extends down into the fuel tank must have sucked in a turd and got plugged. We ended up pulling it out and cutting a little off the bottom and we were back in business. There must be a screen or something down in there that it fits into. This is after changing the spin on fuel filter and bypassing the big canister filter in below zero temps. Why does the last thing you try always fix it? :?
Luckily Jeff had a fuel cap with a schrader air valve on it which made troubleshooting and re-priming the system a much easier affair.

Probably a good thing to not be sucking off the bottom of the tank anyway. Just have to remember not to run it too low.

chadande

OK, now for the story.

I got to GL for my 1:30pm pickup and they already had the truck running and warmed up. Thanks to Mike and Seth at GL for that. It was around 15 degrees at this point. A real heat wave compared to the previous days. Jeff Laumer had inspected the truck and fixed any small issues / checked fluid levels, etc. earlier so a quick once over and I was out the gate.

I felt lucky that the batteries were good and it had a full tank of what looked like fresh clean fuel. It also has two locked toolboxes that I need to break into. Who knows what treasures have been left in there for me! Will be digging into that this weekend.

We drove 5 miles or so back into Sparta and had a burger. Truck was running strong and sounded good.

We hit I-94 West and was plowing along at a comfortable 60MPH for 25 miles or so and the truck started losing power. I ended up pulling into a rest area and changed the spin on fuel filter which I had. It was full of rusty garbage so I figured that was the problem.

Back out on I-94 and only made it a few miles and lost power again. Made it to the Black River Falls exit and pulled into the parking lot of the gas station there. Truck would idle fine but lose power rapidly at this point under throttle. Found a parts store and changed the spin on filter again expecting to see more junk but it was nice and clean. Not good.

Called Jeff for some advice and he thought maybe the big canister fuel filter was plugged / gelled / frozen and I should bypass it. Since I didn't have the flare fittings or the 7/8" wrench required and my crescent wrench was too big to move back in there I gave up and called him for some roadside assistance.

He showed up in his maintenance truck with the right tools and fittings (and experience) and we bypassed the big filter. No luck. After taking the hose off the 90 on top of the tank and applying some air we found that nothing was coming out. That's when we cut a little off the bottom of the tube and we were back in business. After priming the system she roared to life. It was around -6 degrees by the time we got done.

I was back on the road around 9:00pm and made it home with no further issues. Thanks to Jeff for his help. I would definitely recommend him to anybody in the Sparta area that needs help.

Here are some recovery pics. I also have a couple vids which I'll post on here later.

Attachments

Riftweaver

Looks like a real nice truck! Congrats on your purchase and I'm glad you got it home. Sorry to hear you had a couple of problems though, especially in the cold.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate that feeling in the pit of your stomach when your truck starts dying on you. Good job on getting it home with the help of good friends.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck!!! Isn't Jeff the best? He makes this hobby far more enjoyable (and who can you call when Sh*t hits the fan?). He's our resident go to guy!

I give you a ton of credit.....it was WAY to cold to be playing this past week. I was going to do a knuckle boot.......and even with heat, my fingers gave up.

photo.jpg

Last edited:

Carlo

Going to Sparta WI tomorrow after lunch to attempt recovery of my new M923A2!
Unfortunately the afternoon high is only going to be in the **teens** and below zero tonight.

In addition to the normal supply of tools and gear I'm bringing:
new fuel filter which I can fill with 911 and fresh diesel
a couple propane heaters
slave cable

Any specific advise on cold weather operation with the A2 that might help me get the old girl going?

Thanks and wish me luck...

Ether........

Did you get back?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks