• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2... Common Issues/Review

Checkmate

Well, I am looking into getting a pair of M923A2s. Since I am new to the military surplus vehicles game, I figured why not get some expert opinions on these trucks. Both are '91s and have Super-Singles. I do not recall Milage/Hours off the top of my head.

What are some issues that you guys have encountered, Electrical, Mechanical, Hydraulic, and/or Pneumatic?
Also what s your opinion on them? Are they a good "work" truck, or nearly-everday driver? How effective is the 6-wheel drive system at climbing varying grades while under payload?

The primary function of the trucks is to haul materials uphill (40% grade I think) along a logging road (mostly mud, a few large rocks to climb over). One of them would serve as a spare/recovery vehicle if the other gets stuck.

Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since you will be using them "as intended" you should read and re-read the TM's to get familiar with the truck.

One issue I remember from Fort Benning is that the transmission bolts were prone to back out if they were not retorqued occasionally.

The super singles are nice but they weigh about 500 pounds each....and they are a beotch to repair if you do your own tire work.

For what you are going to use them for I's consider switching back to the 1100X20's.

They are scrapping so many 900 series trucks out at Camp Shelby you can buy the mounted tires cheap if you have a connection down there.

Hope this helps.

Checkmate

I have the Operators Manual, the 4 volume set of maintence manuals, the transportation guide book and the 2 volume direct/general service maintence manuals. I have only gotten to reading the sections of the Operators manual that apply to the 923. I also found the Army basic training video for the truck as well so I should be pretty well off based on the reading. Next step would be in-person inspection of the rigs to make sure that they have minimal (if any) rust do not have excessive body damage and that they will drive forward, backward and turn.
I think that I found a set of rims and tires that are the 1100x20 when I was browsing available parts. Will the CTIS still work with the 1100x20s because that was a feature I liked a lot since the truck would have to drive on the highway to get to a lumber yard?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Will the CTIS still work with the 1100x20s because that was a feature I liked a lot since the truck would have to drive on the highway to get to a lumber yard?
The short answer is no.....the 1100x20's were tube type tires mounted on the two piece split ring rims.

IMHO the CTIS system was designed by an idiot after consulting with a group of morons.....way too complicated for a military vehicle and prone to leakage at every fitting. It makes changing a tire an ordeal and some of the internal parts are easy to break and made of unobtainium.

I have never had to air down the tires on any military vehicle I have ever driving in the Army or owned as a civilian. I you do have to air them down or up it's not that hard if you have a gladhand air hose.

If I keep my M927 I will be disconnecting and capping off the CTIS on it.

If you use common sense you can avoid most situations that would require airing down tires.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does the Gov't Liquidation auction go? As in how do I know what the bid is or that I've won in the end?[/QUOTE]

The GL site is easy to use. Just remember, you are playing by their rules. I would eyeball the trucks you are looking at before bidding.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest you go for an M923 with 1100s. They are cheaper and you'll thank me later on the power. If you have to have the single tires, go for an A1...again cheaper.

LanceRobson

The taller tires on the A1 and A2 trucks put a lot more strain on the drive line in rough terrain. Also, the taller tires put the bed that much higher and make hand loading, unloading and even getting into the truck a lot more work. I'm 6'4" and the bed is at shoulder height.

For Checkmate and D3MON, one of the things you agreed to when you joined the site was to not write about open auctions (on any site) before or during the auction.

Lance

Checkmate

For Checkmate and D3MON, one of the things you agreed to when you joined the site was to not write about open auctions (on any site) before or during the auction.

Lance
Ok, thanks for pointing out probably the one thing I must have not seen. I will remember that for the future.

Now, about the EUC. How long would you have to file it after the lot is awarded to you?

If I win the auction for the pair of M923s, what are good shipping services that you have used (in the northeast)?

Last edited:

D3M0N

I apologize about the violation of Forum Rules, curiosity got the better of me. As for the EUC, if it is your first time filing (which I assume it is) expect at least a 60 day wait. Search the forums, there is plenty of information and stories from members that have gone through the process.

AJ

Last edited:

LanceRobson

I had 29 years experience working on and around MVs before I started buying them so I have always picked up and transported my own. If you look in the transportation forum you'll find info on brokers and online services folks have used along with the ups and downs along the way.

You only have a few days to send the EUC paperwork to GL. They then forward it to the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) who conduct a background check and assessment of the likelihood you want tot do evil things with the equipment. It's been a while since I bought an EUC lot. At times I have waited as long as 3-1/2 months but as near as I can tell they are coming back in just a week or two.

The shorter EUC turn around time means you want to have a pretty good idea of how you are going to pick them up and ship them before bidding. I have inspected trucks, trailers etc at Drum for folks in the past and picked stuff up but doghead lives an hour and a half closer. If you are looking for assistance I'm sure he will be more than fair with you.

jatonka has picked stuff up for folks before and has the heavy trucks and trailers to do it. He would possibly be another viable option.

Lance

Danl

Danl M915A1

Hey lance. I seen some heavy haulers put wide tires on there stear wheels, Lots of triex run wide tires as well as cement trucks. the front fenders on these m915a1 have lots of room in there for bigger tires, and I feel that my truck would look good with wider tires on it. I feel it would look stronger and show of the power it really has. do you feel or think i could widen my tires and fill the front fenders ,. with these stock rims ? I been To Jatonkam site and couldn't find much info about this

Danl

Danl M915A1

My understanding on EUC, is once you clear it the frist time 60 days or better you are on record, and your next one should take no more than 10 days, That is stated on GL site under EUC rules or forms check it out .

Checkmate

I was reading up on EUCs on this site, and noticed that a lot of first time EUCs have been going through in a month or less. Would you say that this is a "lucky" time for them?
As long as I win the auctions, but am waiting on the EUCs to clear, can GL do anything with MY property? Their site lists a 10-day removal period after the invoice is received... what exactly does that mean and how does the EUC approval time effect that?

Even though I am asking a lot about EUCs and GL policy here, I am still more interested in opinions of and common issues with the M923A2. Still, Thanks for all the help.

Danl

danl

Gl Knows you are waiting for EUG you got 10 days after it clears to pick up , check on your euc offton , I don't think anybody is going to let you know it has cleared, you got to stay on it

Checkmate

So their deadline is AFTER your EUC clears... It was just the way they wrote it that had me confused. I plan on checking at least twice a week once the paperwork is submitted. You definitely cleared things up for me, thanks.

Checkmate

Ok, so I have a few forms to fill out/request if the auction is won. EUC and SF-97. Would anyone happen to know if CT accepts an SF-97 form itself or do I need to request the Florida title from GL instead?

About the vehicle auction itself... Are the vehicles drained of ALL fluids? I only ask because I heard that they are drained and would need to be filled up in order for them to run. If they are I would like to know what fluids (oil grade, differential fluid, etc.) I'd need to get them running enough to drive onto a flatbed to ship home.