• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Crawler? Costa Rica

TehTDK

Guess I stand corrected. I actually always believed they were german and someone else told me they were originally british made, so yea >.<

In a stock Unimog you can get down to
0.065mph if you so desired. Without extensive, expensive modifications.

http://youtu.be/qbVmyP-StMQ
Now that IS impressive! There are some issues though. We specialize in American military trucks... Unimog trucks are a different category of truck (I could be wrong) but it seems to me you couldn't compare a truck like this to 5ton, which has three axles and is a bigger truck. I don't know that one could even try to put a 6,000ltr water tank on one of these,,, or could we? I'm not putting down Unimog though, they gotta be good trucks, just that they don't work for what we need as far as I know. "I don't pretend to be a truck expert BTW, I realize I could be wrong"

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a Unimog nut but think you are on the right track to modify the CHEAP 5 tons. Sure, Unimogs are available up to 24,000 lbs GVW (on just two axles, and that's the offroad rating). But, such a 2450 Unimog truck could cost you ten times the initial price for a 5 ton.

The initial Unimog production was built by, and called a Boeringer. They were not yet built by Mercedes because MB was not allowed to build such a vehicle right after WWII. The Boeringer 20700 evolved quickly into the early 'small' Unimogs (1947-ish?).

The Military 5 tons are awesome trucks for the price.

Bob

Mercunimog404

Banned
Now that IS impressive! There are some issues though. We specialize in American military trucks... Unimog trucks are a different category of truck (I could be wrong) but it seems to me you couldn't compare a truck like this to 5ton, which has three axles and is a bigger truck. I don't know that one could even try to put a 6,000ltr water tank on one of these,,, or could we? I'm not putting down Unimog though, they gotta be good trucks, just that they don't work for what we need as far as I know. "I don't pretend to be a truck expert BTW, I realize I could be wrong"
You didn't say anything about 6000 liters. I'm willing to bet a 416 would do it. Put it on a trailer and tow it. A 416 would still be cheaper than modifying a 5 ton to go that slow :)

You didn't say anything about 6000 liters. I'm willing to bet a 416 would do it. Put it on a trailer and tow it. A 416 would still be cheaper than modifying a 5 ton to go that slow :)
Yes, sorry, you're right. I hadn't specified what tank we're looking at.... I can easily believe a unimog would pull one, but you know what the problem is? Pineapple companies down here have been using tractors with boom sprayer trailers for years. Wouldn't be as much of a difference... I also think you would have less traction with 4 wheels pulling a load behind on one or two sets of wheels with no traction than you would have with 6 wheels with the load on top of them, all pulling together... Down here in CR we are in the tropics and we get MUD.... :)

Csm Davis

Yes, sorry, you're right. I hadn't specified what tank we're looking at.... I can easily believe a unimog would pull one, but you know what the problem is? Pineapple companies down here have been using tractors with boom sprayer trailers for years. Wouldn't be as much of a difference... I also think you would have less traction with 4 wheels pulling a load behind on one or two sets of wheels with no traction than you would have with 6 wheels with the load on top of them, all pulling together... Down here in CR we are in the tropics and we get MUD.... :)
How slow do you need to go? There are many ways to get the gears that will get you where you need to be. I saw your first post said maybe .3 I would think that you could find out exactly how slow you need it would be easier to figure the best way to modify the truck.

Last edited:

Mercunimog404

Banned
Locked 4x4 is better than open 6x6 :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks