• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 Low range reverse

Ecscnvb

I know it says not to do it but I've also heard if the front axle is disengaged then it is ok. Opinions please...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ue413

The big metal plate in front of the steering wheel has always been enough for me not to try. I figured that the upside was too small to try. I did forget one time and drove in reverse to get out of a muddy pond with no known ill effect.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can do it if your careful or dont do it at all

Along with the countless threads on this matter

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

No laod and on dirt no biggie disengaged front end even better. I have backed several hundred up on the step of a stepdeck trailer without modified switches, and never broken one. But before you do try yours do take a few minutes and crawl under and check for cracks in the housing I have seen busted cases work just fine untill put in a bind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ecscnvb

You can do it if your careful or dont do it at all

Along with the countless threads on this matter

I've read the threads. I want to know why disengaging the front axle makes it ok. Is the weak link of the transfer case up front? What is it? None of the other threads get into depth and specifics like I want to know.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've read the threads. I want to know why disengaging the front axle makes it ok. Is the weak link of the transfer case up front? What is it? None of the other threads get into depth and specifics like I want to know.

Never hear that but it is less stress on the case. You should not need low range reverse anyway. It has plenty of power in high range to push most stuff around. In offroad applications you would rather have the wheel speed over torque

Ecscnvb

Never hear that but it is less stress on the case. You should not need low range reverse anyway. It has plenty of power in high range to push most stuff around. In offroad applications you would rather have the wheel speed over torque

There are times I've been stuck in high, put it in low and pulled right out. So I would have to disagree.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There are times I've been stuck in high, put it in low and pulled right out. So I would have to disagree.

Well then thats you some folks dont feel the same way. I cant even use low on my transfer case cause it will end up in pieces i am sure.

A2 Trucks dont have the low rpm power that an A0 or A2 has so they need rpms to get the tires up and moving.

Ecscnvb

Well then thats you some folks dont feel the same way. I cant even use low on my transfer case cause it will end up in pieces i am sure.

A2 Trucks dont have the low rpm power that an A0 or A2 has so they need rpms to get the tires up and moving.

Can tell u first hand it won't end up in pieces. Anyway, y have something if it can't be used. That's y I wanna figure out the reverse situation. I use my **** hard like it was built for.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Can tell u first hand it won't end up in pieces. Anyway, y have something if it can't be used. That's y I wanna figure out the reverse situation. I use my **** hard like it was built for.

My application will end up in pieces sir. My 1st, 2nd and 3rd forward and Rev 1 are all lower ratios that the allison reverse.

They arent meant to be abused. They did a lockout on these units for a reason as the case can not be serviced and internal parts are hard to come by. It may be military grade but it doesnt mean it was the best or strongest design.

Ecscnvb

My application will end up in pieces sir. My 1st, 2nd and 3rd forward and Rev 1 are all lower ratios that the allison reverse.

They arent meant to be abused. They did a lockout on these units for a reason as the case can not be serviced and internal parts are hard to come by. It may be military grade but it doesnt mean it was the best or strongest design.

What truck do u have?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a CWO in charge of a Army Maintenance Facility tell me putting it in reverse and backing up is fine, as long as you do not have it under much load.
The transfer case cannot handle the increased torque, and it’s the reverse gearing that has the most torque.
He recently retired after 33 years in Army and really knew his stuff on 5 tons.

I use low reverse all the time.
But I’m always only backing up short distances on loose soil/gravel, not trying to pull out a tree, etc.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Gotcha. I'm talking about an m923a2 and low range reverse as it pertains to what the truck is built with. Of course ur application is different, u modified it and it wasn't an m933a2 to begin with.

Its still an NHC250 a1 truck. In an A0/1 truck they put power to the ground faster and more of it imo. So like i said an A2 doesnt have the low end rpm torque in high range. Such as it cant break the tires loose on wet grass. So yea using low range may not hurt you to get better rpms but one day it might get you. I didn't see that you stated your model truck in the opening post. Just that why can't you use low range

Ecscnvb

I had a CWO in charge of a Army Maintenance Facility tell me putting it in reverse and backing up is fine, as long as you do not have it under much load.
The transfer case cannot handle the increased torque, and it’s the reverse gearing that has the most torque.
He recently retired after 33 years in Army and really knew his stuff on 5 tons.

I use low reverse all the time.
But I’m always only backing up short distances on loose soil/gravel, not trying to pull out a tree, etc.
Thank u. Do u have the washer off the low range linkage or is ur front axle still engaged?

Ecscnvb

Its still an NHC250 a1 truck. In an A0/1 truck they put power to the ground faster and more of it imo. So like i said an A2 doesnt have the low end rpm torque in high range. Such as it cant break the tires loose on wet grass. So yea using low range may not hurt you to get better rpms but one day it might get you. I didn't see that you stated your model truck in the opening post. Just that why can't you use low range

Well power is not a problem for me, as I'm about to do some serous mods. Tranny and transfer case will be shortly after. I just want to know what the weak point is.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank u. Do u have the washer off the low range linkage or is ur front axle still engaged?
Still engaged.
I could break it tomorrow, but I’ve been doing it for 3 years now without issue.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well power is not a problem for me, as I'm about to do some serous mods. Tranny and transfer case will be shortly after. I just want to know what the weak point is.

The case. With the gear behind it. Ive busted em in high and low range. Forward and reverse. There is no pattern.