• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 Low range reverse

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What are u doing with the truck when they break?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Some are hooked to tub grinders. Others were fuel tankers, others were just crossing fields traversing thick nasty mud. There is no quality assurance in the government.

Better case to go to is the direct drive T138s in the 809 series trucks and just plumb in an air direct fornthe sprag. Its a straight thru shaft case unlike the 1138 has an offset output. The direct drive case would be well for a 13spd or a higher od manaul trans or an Allison 4070p that has basically double overdrive. I have not found a stronger transfer case that offers an OD high range.

I am actually going to go with a HEMTT case and repower the truck and up the tire size.

The 8.3s are well suited for the higher rpms of a direct drive case with an OD transmission.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can tell u first hand it won't end up in pieces. Anyway, y have something if it can't be used. That's y I wanna figure out the reverse situation. I use my **** hard like it was built for.

You asked for opinions, my opinion is ignore Simps opinion, you’ll be fine!!!

Another opinion with no basis, is when you think your stuck in an A2 and your wheels wont spin in 1rst gear high range, put the pedal to WOT and wait for 5-10 seconds, the turbo will “usually” spool the motor up past the stall speed...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank u. Do u have the washer off the low range linkage or is ur front axle still engaged?

That washer is there for automatic engagement of the front axle in low range. They have a low range lockout that will not let you reverse in low range at all.

Ecscnvb

That washer is there for automatic engagement of the front axle in low range. They have a low range lockout that will not let you reverse in low range at all.

Mine goes in reverse no problem. Not sure?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has to be frustrating to you guys! I know i would not want to be without low reverse in my M series trucks. We have never failed a transfer in hard conditions. I am a design engineer but I have had much experience as an equipment and vehicle operator and mechanic as well. That experience is priceless and should be applied to the design or specifications of the trucks. The design or specification for design should not be entrusted to a freshly minted college grad that has no practical experience driving them in all conditions. Design input should come from guys like you all who have driven this type of truck and from the mechanics that have worked on trucks for many years. It is like when my son worked for the state highway as a mechanic. They had steel fuel tank straps on the trucks that rusted through from the road salt very soon, dropping the tank one end usually at the most inconvenient times. When the guy that wrote the specifications visited the garage for a talk about improvements my son said make the fuel tank straps out of stainless. The specifications wizard replied by asking "What is a fuel tank strap?!" Looks like here with the 900 series they went away from the redundant support systems on tactical trucks like the M and 800 series capable of getting your rear end out of the combat zone with some systems inoperable to an on- road computer system dependent truck with front wheel assist. I do not mean to be offensive or stepping on toes, just explaining why I will never own one.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
High reverse is still plenty low. The problem is that if you're crawling around in low range forward and have to back up it adds a step to have to shift the transfer.

The OP seems to be looking for a way to resolve this. There isn't one, short of replacing the t-case.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mine goes in reverse no problem. Not sure?

Mine never had the lockout installed either, I used a wiz wheel and cut the part of the washer so it misses the switch, no disassembly required, and just rotate the washer, if for some reason you want it to auto engage again...

Ecscnvb

High reverse is still plenty low. The problem is that if you're crawling around in low range forward and have to back up it adds a step to have to shift the transfer.

The OP seems to be looking for a way to resolve this. There isn't one, short of replacing the t-case.
Some say if the front axle is disengaged then it's ok

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are pics of busted cases in other threads.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some say if the front axle is disengaged then it's ok

Personally, I like the idea of removing the washer and makING the front axle engage only by the switch on the dash. That gives you high 6, low 6, high 4, and unlike stock trucks it also gives you low 4.

And running low range 4 in reverse would seem to me to place less strain on the transfer case than low range reverse 6.

However, less stress is not the same as tolerable stress.

"Some say".... let's see them demonstrate it. Condition's as follows - dry pavement, pulling another 5ton with engine off and springbrakes engaged. If it does not break, then at that point I'll be convinced. (That isn't a very demanding test either, in the scheme of things )

Ecscnvb

Personally, I like the idea of removing the washer and makING the front axle engage only by the switch on the dash. That gives you high 6, low 6, high 4, and unlike stock trucks it also gives you low 4.

And running low range 4 in reverse would seem to me to place less strain on the transfer case than low range reverse 6.

However, less stress is not the same as tolerable stress.

"Some say".... let's see them demonstrate it. Condition's as follows - dry pavement, pulling another 5ton with engine off and springbrakes engaged. If it does not break, then at that point I'll be convinced. (That isn't a very demanding test either, in the scheme of things )
I agree with everything u said!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the rules...

• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read! Note: this is a RULE, and is enforceable.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, you can't lock the front end in low range reverse in the A2 series trucks? Mine doesn't have any kind of warning plate or lockout as far as I know. Is the HEMMT transfer case a direct replacement or require modification? Does it solve the breakage issue?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks