• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 dump conversion

So i finally got around to starting this project. I've done tons of research on this. Its not the first time its been done. This is just my stab at it. I've found that it depends on the hoist that is used. I have an Omaha brand cant remeber the model number right now. In order to have enough room i decided to build a subframe to mount the hoist in. The hoist was used and came with a self contained reservoir/pump/valve unit which i was going to utilize. I decided (with some advice on here) that i was over complicating a simple problem. I picked up a cross 3 spool valve that im going to convert to have power beyond in order to feed the original winch valve. I'll do my best to keep this organized and everyone up to date on this project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
While you got all that bed and stuff off might as well go ahead and do the transfer case mod and make it a single line system rather than all those interlock cylinders and junk that cause problems.

While you got all that bed and stuff off might as well go ahead and do the transfer case mod and make it a single line system rather than all those interlock cylinders and junk that cause problems.
I guess i havent heard about this yet. How do you go about it?

74M35A2

While you are at it, install a big lawn sprinkler box under your hood. It makes your truck faster and impresses your friends.

74M35A2

No way. We get bored easily if no progress, and start picking on each other like siblings.

Give us the dump update. That is why we are all here. I want to do the same. I'm watching the frame you are building, why, and how you will mount the hoist. I don't want that kind of hoist because I fear it may hit an axle at full travel, as I do off-road it. I think you'll have to mount it so it hangs down between the frame rails at rest?

I hit a little road block on it way to get some machine work done. I didnt have time to go on a long explanation of my plan but i will as soon as i get out of work. On thing i can tell you, the hoist is no where near affecting. Dropping it between the frame rails was my original plan but it wont work unless i remove the cross member that the air dryer mounts to. When i get it all set back on there and tacked up ill take better pics.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I don't want that kind of hoist because I fear it may hit an axle at full travel, as I do off-road it. I think you'll have to mount it so it hangs down between the frame rails at rest?
He should be fine how he's got it mocked up. I'll try to get picture of my truck all bound up in a rut to show how high the intermediate axle can come up with the bump-stops squished. His hoist is basically upside down compared to mine, I have seen several mounted this way when necessary. It does look like a few of the bed crossmembers will need to be notched out as well.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Farmerboy, do you happen to know the bore and stoke of your cylinder/s, is it a single or twin?

74M35A2

How can he mount the hoist "upside down" like that? It will work the same, but there is no room for the bed to fully lower without hitting it? Unless that is why he is building a frame, and his own box with a relief around the hoist area when collapsed.

tobyS

On the picture with the lift, is your lifting points toward the rear like it is sitting in that photo or towards the cab?

Photo shows a single, appears about 4-5".

Last edited:
Its not upside down. It might be considered backwards. Yes i have to remove part of a couple cross members under the bed and reinforce it. Its the only way to mount that style hoist for what i want. Im gonna lose some lift capacity but it puts the lift point closer to the center of the bed so less stress on it. The hoist is a model 629-sda. Obsolete model but they still build a version of it. Its 6" bore 29" stroke. According to they're mounting chart i should land somewhere around 15 tons of lift capacity. There's no viable way to put a hoist down in the frame without a sizable amount of modification. Hence the subframe, it gives exactly enough clearance to mount the hoist. My aim is to never modify the truck itself in a permanent fashion. I didn't want to modify the bed but have no choice. Ultimately i want the whole thing so it can be unbolted and the truck put back to original if necessary. Just my prerogative.

Got my pivot pins made today. Im using DOM tubing, basically because the hoist used tubing but my design required them to be longer. So i ordered enough to build the hinge as well. Had to get it turned to fit together though. Drilled the bolt holes in the ends while we were at it. Should be able to have the subframe welded up this weekend.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$400, twin 5x20, Knaphoist from Craigslist, gives me 11-1/2 to 13-12 ton capacity and 50 degrees angle , Knapheide also had a twin 5x27 that would have been about perfect.

I would liked to have been able to dump 13 ton, no mater how its loaded, and get at least 60 degrees for sticky mud, but it's close enough for the price.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nooooo.... patience, I'll get you some better pictures soon Grasshopper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks