• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 System OPS

Cdub

After getting the M925A1 from Schott's I need to do a complete
systems maintenance checks. I had found out that this truck sat
up at Schott's for the past five years and had only been driven
one mile from the time they got it.

Each system will be gone over one at a time.

First Order of Operation--

Change all Fluids and Filters

I will be starting off with the Fuel system. I had drained the tank of
36 gallons of diesel fuel and thank God the local DPW let me dump
it into their oil waste tank.

The fuel tank is in very good condition except for some debris I was able
to pull out with my hand.

I wasn't so luck with the fuel filter though. It was loaded with a bunch of
sandy gritty material at the bottom of the filter canister.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if that was in the fuel filter, you better take a good look inside that fuel tank and make sure there's no gunk in the bottom. That looks like fuel tank liner that is feeling away.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats almost typical as far as a deuce goes. If you don't drain the primary regularly, crap you wouldn't believe collects down there. Need a screwdriver or a pick to dig it out.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice pics, C-dub. Thanks for taking the time out of your project and shooting them for us :D

Cdub

Re: RE: M925 System OPS

maddawg308 said:
if that was in the fuel filter, you better take a good look inside that fuel tank and make sure there's no gunk in the bottom. That looks like fuel tank liner that is feeling away.
Yea, Your right and I agree 100 %.........that's why I was so surprised that
the canister had that crap in it........because the tank looked so clean inside....

Go figure......??......but I will be aware of it as I check out the rest of the system.

I saw in the manual that there's a small fuel filter right in the pump on the top
held in by two 3/8's bolt......lets see how that looks.....??

I'll keep ya posted and keep the comments coming......It's great to hear everyone's
honest opinions.

Cheers,

C'dub

Cdub

steelsoldiers said:
Any progress on the head gasket?
Hi Chris,

Glad you asked......

This is the reason for starting the systems operations maintenance checks.

The diesel mechanic friend of a friend stopped by with his service truck to take
a look at what the problem may be. He hasn't ruled out the head gasket but
has an open mind on how things could turn out once the truck is up and running
after sitting for five years. He thinks it might turn out to be valve seals that
might re-seal after being dry for so long or other leaks may develop that
could be unforeseen once the truck has had it's fluids and filters changed.
Which is one of the best and honest answers I've heard so far and that
makes the most sense.

He suggested doing the fluid and filter thing first, de-greaseing the engine
down. Then running the engine at an above engine idle RPM for a couple
of hours. During at which time monitoring the engine for over heating, oil
leaks, lost of engine coolant ect....

He has told me of stories of people thinking that motors were bad and
needed rebuilding and just needed to be run and cleaned out. I don't know
if this is going to be the case but I think he's heading me in the right direction.

If the problem of the white smoke, oil leaking from the exhaust prosists then
at which point we will need to do a tare down of some degree to find the exact
cause, but at least we could rule out things like bad fuel, clogged air filter, gummed
up oil ect.......

I'll keep you all posted on the progress.......

Tomorrow will be my first FIVE GALLON oil change.....hahaha...The could be interesting......Hahhah

I've been following the manuals very closely as they are a very big help.

Cheers,

C'dub

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cdub, white smoke out the pipe? Does it smell sweet or of fuel? I am assuming that there is a Cummins "C" in this? Remember, white is fuel or coolant. If it's a "C",there's a valve on the fuel pump, front side, between the head and the pump. That's the overflow valve. It's there to build low pressure in the pump gallery so the proper high pressure can be made. If the valve is failed, it will cause hard starting...especially after a filter change...low power, a miss you can't isolate and, depending on how bad the spring is busted up, alot of white smoke, it bassically changes the injection timing, and if it's bad enough, you'll get slobber out the exhaust. The "C" has guide seals, and I can say i've never seen them fail, these don't slobber oil out the exhaust. Early head gaskets were prone to leaks, external only, left side, oil and right side coolant..it drips/runs off the rt rear of the engine. Early front coverys laek very bad and crack at the bolt holes. Get the new style if it breaks. Also, if it has an air compressor, check the support bolts at the back of the comp to the block. If they are there, take them out and loctite them.If they're gone don't drive it 'till you replace them. It WILL break the gear housing! Nice truck!
Oh, BTW, if it's not a "C"....never mind :roll:

Attachments

Cdub

The white smoke smells like antifreeze and there is oil leaking out of the head where it meets up with the exhaust manifold on the right side rear head.

There is no sign of any oil leaking on the left side of the motor what so ever.....dry as a bone........

The truck starts in a flash of a second. It has full power and doesn't buck or run at a rough idle or even at high RPM's. No feeling of any kind of missing in the engine.

Any idea's...........?????

I'm going down to the truck parts store for OIL and FUEL filters......Does anyone have any numbers for
me to help them in their search for a Bendix, Fram, or even NAPA

Please let me know about the numbers. As I will try and get them tomorrow after work...

Thanks Guys,

C'dub

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's very uncommon for a c to leak coolant into the cylinder, but, if it's sweet smelling, it's most likely a head gasket. One other thing it might be...only seen it 1 or 2 times... is a pitted liner. The liners are spun steel, not cast iron. C's, L10, M11 and ISX are steel and are very resistant to cavitation, but it is possible. There is usually coolant in the oil along with coolant out the exhaust. If you do a head gasket, make sure you get the correct torque. There are two different methods, depending on what version of head bolts you have. Any Qs, PM me and I'll give you a link to the Cummins Quickserve Online site.

The filters on the chassis are Mil Spec. Do you have one or two filters on the head? The oil filter should be an LF3000.(fleetguard #)

Cdub

Well..........this is going to be good...........I wish I had my camera

I was all set to change the oil Sunday afternoon. I had my five gallon pails
and drain pan just in case with a few oil rags for those little oil drip in the driveway.

Well......I got the funnel in the catch can and started to open the drain plug. The
oil started coming out and filled up the funnel in a split second and started pouring
all over the can and all into the driveway. Before I realized what was happening there
must have been two gallons of oil all over the driveway. I had a five gallon pail of speedy
dry and just dumped it into the oil.....I grabbed my drain pan and that filled up in no time
and before I know it........it was done draining

what a mess........Oh My God..........

I went to change the oil filter and said the hell with it.....I just took out the bolt shaft
and just let it dump right into the mess that I all ready made......

I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning up the mess........

Next I will NOT use a funnel.......but let it drain into an open pail.....!!!!

Live and Learn........

I hope you enjoyed the oil change story as this will never ever happen to me again.....

Cheers,

C'dub

Cdub

Recovry4x4 said:
Oh yeah, we forgot to mention that. Big plug=big hole=big mess.
Yea, no problem with the Big hole, or the Big plug.........

I should have used a BIG FUNNEL......hahahahahah.... :oops:

Wow....I never saw a funnel fill up so fast......that oil was like Molasis.

C'dub

Cdub

So far with the oil and new filter......fuel tank drained and new fuel filter and
a couple of peck cocks..........

" Sharlene " is definitely born again HARD.......!!!

Sharlene fired right up and gave a little cough until she got a taste of the new fuel.
She loved the new oil running through her vanes. There were no leaks from any of
the filters or drain plugs which is a very good sign.

She has a little white smoke at idle but when I hit the peddle.........Oh......what a white
cloud of smoke.......I had to shut her down before someone call the police......

She still is wounded and needs much love'n in the engine department.........

seya,

C'dub

Cdub

Well Sharlene was dropped off at the engine mechanic today. She wouldn't get checked out until Monday........

We drove about 45 miles with out a hitch. Gages were reading 50 psi for the oil, 220f for the engine temp and the trans
was running about 125-150f. I tried to keep the speed down to around 40-45. The exhaust was pouring out white smoke as
far as the eye could see, but we made it...........!!

I'll know the results of the engine work early next week and soon to get her back on the road again.

seya,

C'dub

Cdub

Well it looks like it could have been done differently and much cheaper but I decided to go the hole nine yards with a complete overhaul with genuine Cummins Parts.

The overhaul kit from Cummins included new liners, pistons, rings,re-manufactured heads from Cummins, injectors, wrist pins, and main crank bearings, rod bearings.......

Sharlene will defiantly be " Born Again Hard" and purr like a kitten when she's all done.

I should have her back early next week. So enjoy the pic in the mean time.......

Enjoy,

C'dub

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK! She'll be good as new now! So, what was the verdict from the engine man? Head gasket? Cracked head? Warped head? Inquiring minds want to know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks