• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Hauling capacity

ericp351

Hi all general question. What is the real world bed hauling capacity on an m925a2 truck on paved roads. I recently hauled 8.9 tons of Gravel. The truck overall did great with the exception of a wicked 6% grade. I'm relatively new to these trucks and I'd just like to know the real capacity on these trucks. The springs only dropped two inches! Given a proper hitch what can these trucks tow before the tranny gets angry? Thanks, my son wants to put the top down to buy some milk!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
10 tons on paved road I think.
5 tons off road

How did you haul the gravel?
Troop seats out I assume.
Was it hard getting the tailgate down with pressure on it?
Did it take off paint on bed?

Curious because I was thinking of doing same thing.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can it haul more?
Most certainly
I've seen pics of them doing amazing things.
But.........
Go outside the rated maximum on the road and if something happens, the lawyers will have a field day.
Insurance company will run the other way.
And worse

ericp351

Thanks. We did two loads total for driveway, nearly nine ton ea. No troop seats and loads were heapeed to drop sides. Engine and trans stayed cool, twenty miles plus from gravel dock to farm. Brakes felt safe to me. Hit maybe 48 mph max.

ericp351

Lastly, paint was ok. Unloaded with crawler bucket then careful with coal shovels at end. Truck is military sand color over green. Sides and tailgate dropped with little troubles, good simple pivot design. Hope that helps.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
two 4x4 pallets in front of the load or under with a strap ran around the centers and laying out the back of the truck under whatever is in the bed so you can pull it off with a tree or another truck works well. Since sometimes equipment operators get carried away with scratches and stuff or just have no clue how to use a bucket.

sandcobra164

I will chime in with not so much what they will haul in the bed but what kind of weight they can tow without much effort. I recently picked up a stacked set of M322 Engineer Equipment Trailers. Roughly 11,700 pounds each so 23,400 combined. Truck handled it with ease but I believe an air filter change / upgrade is in order soon. I had some black smoke under heavy throttle just off idle but it cleared up. Once above around 2,000 to 2,100 rpm, I am puffing a little black now. Air filter minder has not moved but may be junk as well.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also 10 ton in the bed puts you right about at the 32k legal max on the tandems in most states. 12 ton is about where I consider the brakes start to become inadequate at speed and also gets you up close to max tire capacity on the rears. Pulls and handles fine though with 13 ton and 100 psi in the tires.

M925A2 with dump hoist

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke awhile back with the company that designed and sold the ABS equipment. They said the main problem with the truck is that the braking capacity was 20 tons! Thus the air diverters were required to keep from locking up the front brakes and I think they actually switch an off and on x pattern utilizing half the rear breaking at a time when the ABS is required to prevent the truck from wiping you out on secondary roads. So even though it has 20 tons of brakes, much is now lost to technology needed to control skids! Also if your ABS light will not go out don't drive in 5th gear unless you are on a long and straight road with no idiots or deer around! The transmission will make life fun for you if you need to stop in a hurry!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke awhile back with the company that designed and sold the ABS equipment. They said the main problem with the truck is that the braking capacity was 20 tons!...
Don't forget these were engineered before 49" super singles. This will make a big difference in braking capacity

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also without relocating the rear axles the front axle weight changes very little with load due to the bed is centered over the rear axles.

M925A2 with dump hoist

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke awhile back with the company that designed and sold the ABS equipment. They said the main problem with the truck is that the braking capacity was 20 tons! Thus the air diverters were required to keep from locking up the front brakes and I think they actually switch an off and on x pattern utilizing half the rear breaking at a time when the ABS is required to prevent the truck from wiping you out on secondary roads. So even though it has 20 tons of brakes, much is now lost to technology needed to control skids! Also if your ABS light will not go out don't drive in 5th gear unless you are on a long and straight road with no idiots or deer around! The transmission will make life fun for you if you need to stop in a hurry!
The truck weighs 10 ton+ empty... So is that 20t total, or 20t plus curb weight?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

I don't know what type of 5 ton you have but why would you try to avoid a deer? If bambi can't get out of the way of a slow 5 ton then he deserves to get mowed down. On a note my ABS light is on and I gross 40 to 60k several times a week interstate/city streets/secondary roads. Never any issue stopping.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You are close, 34k on the drives, 12k on steer are the legal DOT weights. This does not take into account if the tires and truck meet the weight ratings.
Then technically a 916/920/HET are all over the DOT limit for the front axle when they are 13k or more.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what type of 5 ton you have but why would you try to avoid a deer? If bambi can't get out of the way of a slow 5 ton then he deserves to get mowed down. On a note my ABS light is on and I gross 40 to 60k several times a week interstate/city streets/secondary roads. Never any issue stopping.
The ABS malfunction won't cause problems loaded. It's empty when it will kill you.

grendel

Then technically a 916/920/HET are all over the DOT limit for the front axle when they are 13k or more.

Although Mil trucks when used by DOD forces do not have to meet DOT, there are civvy trucks with higher grossing axles, etc. I have a W900 with an 18K front and dual 24K rears (48K rear). It's all what the magic tag in the door frame says, when you roll over the scales.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks