• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m929 dump.engine lock up ???

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
m929 dump.engine lock up ??? I have a m929 dump that was running fine.When all the sudden. I started it up cold today,After it ran a few minutes,I put id in gear and the engine locked up...Now it wont turn over it just clicks...Engine or trans ?????

Csm Davis

m929 dump.engine lock up ??? I have a m929 dump that was running fine.When all the sudden. I started it up cold today,After it ran a few minutes,I put id in gear and the engine locked up...Now it wont turn over it just clicks...Engine or trans ?????
Hey John I know you aren't a newbie but have you tried slaving it off? Just a thought but the batteries could have gone bad as it cranked over the first time.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Didn't slave it.They are brand new batteries.As soon as I put it in gear it stalled the engine.I wish that was the problem..thanks.

brasco

I had a problem once where the push button on the transfer case hi/low lever was stuck down. With the button stuck down, the engine would sometimes die as put in gear.

This button somehow engages a circuit in the transmission that makes it easier to shift from high to low. It is not supposed to be pushed down all the time. When it is, bad things happen.

Gunzy

That button for whatever reason ingages the torque converter lockup. Makes no sense why. But Mil spec, why ask why?

Ford Mechanic

Make sure your fully in high or low also, when I shift ranges it most always stalls when engaged after going back into high. After that jolt I can push the lever down a little more and it resumes normal operation.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Its not the button on the transfer case lever.Pretty sure it the engine...Most like I will be parting it out ,if that's the case..

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By all means bar the engine over before parting it out. I would suspect the transmission or torque converter is holding it. Why, I have no idea.

Artisan

Seems like something silly to me.

New batteries are suspect.

Check voltage on EACH battery perhaps while cables are disconnected.

Also look for the standard issue main battery wires rubbing
against the DS rear of the engine block and shorting things out.
You can NOT see these wires 100% unless you disconnect from
both sides (starter and batteries) and pull the wires to view
the insulation. This issue is VERY prevalent in the 5 Tons.

I pulled my main battery cables and inspected and SURE ENOUGH,
the insulation was worn BAD. I did a quick fix by sliding dishwasher
drain hose OVER the battery cable to where it was rubbing.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Engine is locked up.
Well that sucks. If the truck is in good physical condition why part it out? An engine transplant can't be that hard. Dumps bring pretty good money. I know finding a cheap pull out that is close can be a challenge but there were a lot of these trucks being parted out a while back. Jeff Davis in MS may have a good engine on his yard.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did a motor and transmission change in my M925 and it is not to bad, just need some help and something to lift it.
Lot of wires and hoses

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks