• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931a Fuel Issue

TURKEY131

Well I replaced the seals in the handpump and no more leaking. So that is fixed. Now same end result, no motor start no white smoke. I again disconnected the hard fuel line coming out of fuel cut off solenoid. I am still not getting any fuel out of it. I know I have fuel up to the injection pump. Any ideas on where to go next?

TURKEY131

Update, I was talking with a gentleman that has been working on diesels for some time and explained to him my problem. He suggested disconnecting the main fuel line going into the injector pump and priming the system. So if the motor starts its an issue with the fuel system pulling air in somewhere. If not its the injector pump. So yesterday I gave it a try and no start, so looks like I am going to be replacing the pump. Anyone else have any input on this or should I check something else first?

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sure can not hurt to pull the pump and see if things are turning. Once you take off the pump turn the shaft to see how it feels. I have not read back through the hole thread again; before you take off the pump take the fuel solenoid off and leave all else hooked up and crank over the engine and see if fuel pumps out of the pump where the solenoid was.

TURKEY131

Wrenchturner, I will give that a try before I pull the pump off. Jeepsinker I have pretty much tried everything. I might have a little time tomorrow to work on the truck.

TURKEY131

Well I finally got around to working on the truck again. I removed the fuel shut off solenoid and had no fuel coming out of the top of the pump. So I then went and changed the injection pump. I really thought that it was going to be a much harder job than it was. After about an hour and a half I had the truck running again! It still runs a little rough though. So I think I might be getting air in the fuel line. Does anyone know of a good place to get the old injection pump rebuilt? Thanks

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there any truck shops near you, like Peterbilt, KW, Mack, etc? They will know where to take the pump for repair.

allie

I also have a m931 that all of a sudden is stalling. Runs for about 10 min then just stalls and wont start again until i wait a few minutes.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
allie
You may want to turn in the fuel screw on the fuel solenoid and see if it will stay running. If it does stay running you may have a electrical connection problem or a solenoid hat gets warm and quits.

Jeepsinker

Replace all of the soft fuel lines. That should be the first thing you do when you have stalling issues with these trucks.
If it isn't sucking air, then that means the shutdown solenoid is faulty and must be removed (8.3L), or replaced (nhc250).

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are wanting to know where the fuel screw is I have circled it. You will want to screw it in till it bottoms out don't get to rough with it though and after it is in run the truck and see if it helped to shut off truck screw it back out.2013-10-27 17.12.00.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks