• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A1 ? about plug in the bottom of bell housing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was crawling around my 85 M931A1 today and in the bottom of the bell housing there is two holes. One hole has a pipe plug in it and the other is open, but threaded, can I put a pipe plug in that hole. I did search the 5 ton forum and I came up empty. Thanks

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The threaded hole is for a deep water fording plug, put the plug in when going through deep water and take it back out when done
KK

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why is it so HARD for someone to READ the -10 for the truck they own, you would be surprised how much smarter reading it will make the READER sound.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder how many guys have just stuck their finger in the hole(with the engine running) and not posted because they realized how stupid that was.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the ? Was do you guys in all of your wisdom think it hurt anything to leave it in the closed position to keep road dirt out I know its a pain to reread a post about the same thing over and over If you got the time to bless some one out you have the time to answer the ? I love this site but get tired of belittling and down right rude posts back at someone for just asking a ? Dont Answer the post would be the best thing a old rule comes to mind if you Dont have something nice to say don't say anything

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
NO leave it out, this allows any minor rear main seal / trans input shaft seal leak to drain

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
NO leave it out, this allows any minor rear main seal / trans input shaft seal leak to drain
I can't advise this enough. I toasted a clutch in a M35A2 once simply because I was lazy and didn't put it in the stored position. 5 minutes of work would have saved me 5+ hours.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the ? Was do you guys in all of your wisdom think it hurt anything to leave it in the closed position to keep road dirt out I know its a pain to reread a post about the same thing over and over If you got the time to bless some one out you have the time to answer the ? I love this site but get tired of belittling and down right rude posts back at someone for just asking a ? Dont Answer the post would be the best thing a old rule comes to mind if you Dont have something nice to say don't say anything
When people actually search and read threads they learn thing , it's the same with reading a TM . When you learn things you can save yourself costly repairs caused by operator error . It also makes a safer vehicle on the road.

trooper632

There's nothing wrong with asking questions, that what this site is for and there are several people who are glad to help out and answer those questions if they know the answer. It takes longer to rag on someone than it does to answer their question

If you read the TM it doesnt say why to leave it out and I dont have a clutch its an automatic. I was just thinking it would not be any diffrent than any other truck with a bell housing and an auto trans. Normally there is no big holes in your bell housing, there might be an inspection cover.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
An inspection cover that isn't air tight. Did you know that the converter gets very warm? I doubt we're making enough power for them to balloon. But that heated converter could cause the air in that area to expand. Enough to apply pressure on the torque converter seal. That seal was designed to keep pressure from escaping. Not pressure invading into it. I'd bet over time you'd lead to a premature failure of the seal.

I didn't write the TM's. But I'd suspect they had a valid reason to not have the plug in day to day.

Tototex

M51A2 Should this hole be plugged?

I was crawling under my truck yesterday when I saw a bolt missing in my... transmission? transfer case? Im not really sure. See the picture for a better reference.

1121161501.jpg

Do I need to get a plug for this?

Thanks in advanced.

Jason

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was crawling under my truck yesterday when I saw a bolt missing in my... transmission? transfer case? Im not really sure. See the picture for a better reference.

View attachment 655146

Do I need to get a plug for this?

Thanks in advanced.

Jason
If you do not know a transmission from transfer case I HIGHLY recommend you start reading.

I dont know know every single part of my truck, but the big pieces of course. Their easy.
The little things I know where to look in the manuals to find out what it is by reading them.

Download and read them and learn about your truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks