• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A1 carrying capacity.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
916a1, a2 and A3s are off the charts on prices. 25 to 35k is pretty ridiculous

916A0s are cheaper in the 4 to 6k range. I purchased one today at auction for 5500

I have a heavier walking beam rated at 58k with parabolic springs for the 5 ton.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I think we would be getting to where the strength of the frame would be the weak point. Your thoughts ?
Ive towed more with a 5 ton, hauled more in a 5 ton and driven more Miles in one than anyone on this site. The frame can handle it plenty well enough. I built a 927 truck with a 40yard dump bed. It works till this daym

The long wheel based m939 trucks have a frame reinforcement on them that can be adapted to the cargo and tractor wheel bases.

Glenngineer

Ive towed more with a 5 ton, hauled more in a 5 ton and driven more Miles in one than anyone on this site. The frame can handle it plenty well enough. I built a 927 truck with a 40yard dump bed. It works till this daym

The long wheel based m939 trucks have a frame reinforcement on them that can be adapted to the cargo and tractor wheel bases.
I would be interested in seeing a picture of that reinforcement .

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Partial pics of the reinforcement. You can see the wide frame in the driveshaft pic

As well as the flex of the M923 frame

Attachments

5 tons can flex really well too
I will
Yes.
I have never owned a 5 ton, or any military truck for that matter, but have designed and built some equipment over the years, and the frame on the 931a1 is pretty beefy. I would not have any worries about the frame for what I am planning. Axles are my only concern. Well, and power... I hear the 250 cummins are a bit sluggish... On the Cat 16 speed, I have heard people who love them and hate them. What's the story on them simp5782?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have never owned a 5 ton, or any military truck for that matter, but have designed and built some equipment over the years, and the frame on the 931a1 is pretty beefy. I would not have any worries about the frame for what I am planning. Axles are my only concern. Well, and power... I hear the 250 cummins are a bit sluggish... On the Cat 16 speed, I have heard people who love them and hate them. What's the story on them simp5782?
If its operated daily they are good. I ran one for a long time. You learn to hate em. they are nice to operate. Member Ponway runs one everyday in his western star. Its just a triple countershaft transmission with an air operated valve body. The one in my 5 ton operated great. It brought alot of power out of the NHC250 before i put the big cam too

fasttruck

King pins ? Lubricate them early and often. All this about tires and suspension is fine but the million dollar question is will you have enough brakes to stop it ?

Partial pics of the reinforcement. You can see the wide frame in the driveshaft pic

As well as the flex of the M923 frame
If its operated daily they are good. I ran one for a long time. You learn to hate em. they are nice to operate. Member Ponway runs one everyday in his western star. Its just a triple countershaft transmission with an air operated valve body. The one in my 5 ton operated great. It brought alot of power out of the NHC250 before i put the big cam too
Hmm. I almost bid on one at auction up here, but what I read that was negative about them, and running it the 20 ft back and forth at the auction scared me off. Really wanted the big cam tho. lol It would have nice to actually take it out for a spin. Maybe too, the thing had been sitting and apparently they gum up, hence the comment of daily use eh?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hmm. I almost bid on one at auction up here, but what I read that was negative about them, and running it the 20 ft back and forth at the auction scared me off. Really wanted the big cam tho. lol It would have nice to actually take it out for a spin. Maybe too, the thing had been sitting and apparently they gum up, hence the comment of daily use eh?
Any o ring needs lubrication. Most dont get it from sitting. You can put a mister on them to oil them continously. Daily operation they are fine.

You can easily put a big cam in a 5 ton. Just gotta redo the front mount.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks