• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A1 losing magic smoke...

The HUlk

Mrs. HUlk is crushed because she is supposed to have her truck at a little girl's birthday party on Saturday to give rides for her and her 17 friends, and it's looking like that is not going to happen.

We went to drive the truck home from it's storage location and not far down the road noticed an unusal smell. After pulling over smoke could be seen coming from the radator area. Opened the hood and discovered smoke coming out the front of the alternator which was very hot. The voltage guage was reading in the yellow where it reads when the truck is not running. Before now the voltage guage would always move to the green when running. Turning off the battery switch nows kills the engine which it never did before. I'm guessing there is no output from the alternator so the fuel shutoff solenoid cuts out when the battery switch is turned off, not sure though. I didn't have anything to measure battery voltages with so not sure where they are. The voltage guage reads normal when not running and the headlights are as bright as they ever were.

Does this sound like a dead alternator? Could it be something else? She is hoping I can fix it in a day and I have already told her to prepare for that not happening.

Any advice from the charging system experts out there would be appreciated!

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like alternator to me had that happen when I got my deuce. If you have a voltage meter I'd check the alternator while it's running and see what you get!

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm new to these trucks as well, but sounds like a dead alternator from your description. When my alternator died the voltage regulator was the issue, so it started killing my batteries.

I would convert to a 24 volt civilian alternator and see if that fixes all your issues. Several people have done this. I converted to a 24v dozer alternator.

The HUlk

Sounds like alternator to me had that happen when I got my deuce. If you have a voltage meter I'd check the alternator while it's running and see what you get!
Thank you for your insight.

I'm guessing I should I disconnect it and take the reading, correct? I recall reading that 28VDC should be the alternator output, is that correct?

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I left everything connected, I was getting the right voltage at battery's with engine off. With it running voltage dropped slightly at battery and alternator wasn't the right voltage. I remember seeing info on a thread in here on a step by step to check it but I don't recall where.

todds112

Sounds like what happened To mine. I'm doing the civi alternator conversion right now. BTW failing to shut down the truck properly can also fry the power control box. Always turn the run switch off, then the battery switch.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With 2 fully charged batteries you'll be fine for Saturdays events. I've ran these things 10 hours with the lights on without an alternator.

Suggestion - disconnect the alternator and get through Saturday on batteries. ...

The HUlk

Sounds like what happened To mine. I'm doing the civi alternator conversion right now. BTW failing to shut down the truck properly can also fry the power control box. Always turn the run switch off, then the battery switch.
First I have heard about frying the control box, thank you for the info.

Where can I find details on the civy alternator conversion?

The HUlk

With 2 fully charged batteries you'll be fine for Saturdays events. I've ran these things 10 hours with the lights on without an alternator.

Suggestion - disconnect the alternator and get through Saturday on batteries. ...
I was actually thinking of removing the pulley & belts, but wasn't sure how long the batteries would last. We may put smiles on some faces Saturday after all. Thanks 98G.

MtnSnow

Todds112 is correct in catching your statement of turning off the battery switch with the engine running....That is a big NO NO and is spelled out in the -10 TM. You smoked the alt. (it's dead) Pull it and have it rebuilt or replace it.

The HUlk

Todds112 is correct in catching your statement of turning off the battery switch with the engine running....That is a big NO NO and is spelled out in the -10 TM. You smoked the alt. (it's dead) Pull it and have it rebuilt or replace it.
We typically turn off the run switch, then the battery switch when shutting down and will continue this practice religously now that we know damage can occur.

The HUlk

I removed the alternator belts and we ran on battery power today. The 5 ton was a big hit with the birthday girl and her friends, the parents, and the neighbors. They all had smiles on their faces which is the reason my wife wanted the truck. It was a great time, and everyone was high and dry despite the fall rain...

Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 7.58.03 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-10-24 at 8.06.28 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 8.10.38 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-10-24 at 8.16.53 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Artisan

We typically turn off the run switch, then the battery switch when shutting down and will continue this practice religously now that we know damage can occur.

If I remember right, the TM says not only to start up and shut down
in the proper sequence but one must WAIT for the engine to actually quit
turning before killing he top switch too.

I am pretty sure if you read the TM you will find me correct.

Pull the alternator and just walk into any alternator repair shop...

or see TM 9-2320-272-24P-1

NSN= 2920-00-413-4337

P/N= 10947517-1 GENERATOR,ENGINE AC

UOC: DAC,DAD,DAE,DAF,DAG,DA

H,DAJ,DAL,DAW,DAX,V14,V15,V16,

V17,V18,V19,V20,V21,V22,V24 .................

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks