• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A1 losing magic smoke...

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed the alternator belts and we ran on battery power today. The 5 ton was a big hit with the birthday girl and her friends, the parents, and the neighbors. They all had smiles on their faces which is the reason my wife wanted the truck. It was a great time, and everyone was high and dry despite the fall rain...

View attachment 589848View attachment 589849 View attachment 589850View attachment 589847
I always love seeing kids having fun in the trucks. I recently took kids from my sister-in-law's reunion across a few rolling hills, but I made them ride on troop seats. The bucket seats look a lot more comfortable. :)

The HUlk

No luck getting my alternator rebuilt at the local shop. After looking at it scratching his head for a few minutes he recommended I replace it with a 27SI and offered to sell me a clone(WAI) for $165.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No luck getting my alternator rebuilt at the local shop. After looking at it scratching his head for a few minutes he recommended I replace it with a 27SI and offered to sell me a clone(WAI) for $165.
The WAI alternator is made in China (I used to work for WAI). If there's a warranty and the pulley is correct, go for it. It will smoke in less than the warranty period if it's bad. BTW, that's whats going on my M929 if the alternator grenades.

The HUlk

I installed a 27SI self exciting alternator. The local shop I got it from had an old pulley of the same diameter. I may switch to a slightly smaller diameter pulley because the alternator doesn't excite until about 100rpm above idle. A 7/16 x 3" bolt and 1" spacer with a flat washer on each end worked well for the rear mount. Original bolt was used on the front mount. Had to trim away 1/8" from the adjustment arm slot for the 27SI's larger lock bolt.

Attachments

Last edited: