• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M932A1 with shorter drop side deuce bed

Well someone got into my truck while at the store recently. Didn't notice that my locking handle didn't work any more. They applied so much pressure on the handle that it broke the locking cog inside the mechanism. Luckily I put the chain around the steering wheel as added protection. I finally found replacement handles on ebay after looking at all the normal places locally. Only a slight modification required to the mounting bracket and a shortening of the square actuation rod that goes into the door. Although it won't keep those truely interested in getting in out; it will keep most out.

These are garage door replacement handles with locks. They work great.
This is the exact reason I don't like some people. Why can't people just leave well enough alone. Look, dont' touch. sorry to hear.

rrrr

I've done a number of shows, parades and fund raisers. There is always someone in the crowd that thinks they have the right to get into your vehicle. I wonder if its legal to tazer them if you catch them in the act :???:

Carlo

Well thanks to Phil, Stonepicker1, my drop side deuce bed arrived in great condition. Started with cutting out a 3' section and rewelding it back together so that the troop seats would fit when also shortend 3'. The process went quickly only because I had a friend of a friend with a service truck and hoist come out for a service call and give me a hand. The money spent was well worth it. Having the proper equipment to do this job makes all the difference in the world.

Yes, I will paint it up and also will have the cover shortend 3' as well. I plan to use the space behind the cab to mount a tow bar as well as an additional storage locker. I will use the truck as a recovery vehicle since I also set up a tow light system and have the airline connections as well. I am pondering putting on an additional air tank as well.
That is a first class job you did. Looks factory!

rrrr

I though I might summarize in one post what I've done to the truck the last year of ownership:

Installed coolant filter system
Fixed four leaky tires
changed tranny fluid over to Dex 3 and linkage adjustment
Replaced right front axle boot 3 times
Replaced right front axle oil seal
Installed solargizer
Installed 24 to 12v power converter
4 new 6TL batteries (that was painful and expensive)
Block heater for those cold days (works great)
New steering wheel
Hmmwv driver seat upgrade (this makes the truck much more comfortable)
LED lights all around
Electronic light switch and mod to keep front turn signal lights on
LED marker light add on (this took more time then I thought it would)
Deuce bed cut and added.
Troop seats cut to fit and look factory
Troop seat cushions, yes the guys in the back have seat pads !
Top cut to fit and look factory
Bed liner in the bed.
Added tool box above the single unit.
Spin on oil filter adapter
Replaced heater core
Replace engine temp sensor and gauge
Driver and passenger locking doors
Fresh paint where needed
Headlight rock guards
Wiper blade upgrade to civy type
Replaced fuel filter
Checked and top off of all 3 axles and transfer case
Trouble with abs bought the diagnostic unit but fixed it before it arrived.
Replace all 4 rear air brake diaphrams.
Installed tow bar mount and tow bar. I have a full recovery kit for mv vehicles... everything needed to tow one home.
Exhaust flapper

I'm sure there are a few missing items but I think you get the idea.
These trucks are lots of work and although you can typically purchase them
at a reasonable price the up-keep is what will cost you.

I would have no issues right now driving the truck 1000 miles to get somewhere.
I know it well and am comfortable with its reliability.

Attachments

Last edited:

Carlo

I though I might summarize in one post what I've done to the truck the last year of ownership:

Installed coolant filter system
Fixed four leaky tires
changed tranny fluid over to Dex 3 and linkage adjustment
Replaced right front axle boot 3 times
Replaced right front axle oil seal
Installed solargizer
Installed 24 to 12v power converter
4 new 6TL batteries (that was painful and expensive)
Block heater for those cold days (works great)
New steering wheel
Hmmwv driver seat upgrade (this makes the truck much more comfortable)
LED lights all around
Electronic light switch and mod to keep front turn signal lights on
LED marker light add on (this took more time then I thought it would)
Deuce bed cut and added.
Troop seats cut to fit and look factory
Troop seat cushions, yes the guys in the back have seat pads !
Top cut to fit and look factory
Bed liner in the bed.
Added tool box above the single unit.
Spin on oil filter adapter
Replaced heater core
Replace engine temp sensor and gauge
Driver and passenger locking doors
Fresh paint where needed
Headlight rock guards
Wiper blade upgrade to civy type
Replaced fuel filter
Checked and top off of all 3 axles and transfer case
Trouble with abs bought the diagnostic unit but fixed it before it arrived.
Replace all 4 rear air brake diaphrams.
Installed tow bar mount and tow bar. I have a full recovery kit for mv vehicles... everything needed to tow one home.
Exhaust flapper

I'm sure there are a few missing items but I think you get the idea.
These trucks are lots of work and although you can typically purchase them
at a reasonable price the up-keep is what will cost you.

I would have no issues right now driving the truck 1000 miles to get somewhere.
I know it well and am comfortable with its reliability.
I know who to ask when I need a second opinion.

rrrr

I know who to ask when I need a second opinion.

I've done even more on my Deuce

I don't think there is another like it in the country.
Big mod's on it:

Hemmtt wheels with 395 tires

Gun mount and something to put in it !

Air O matic steering

EGT and boost gage in a custom dash

HMMWV drivers seat new steering wheel

Lock out hubs

LED's all around, LED marker lights just added with electronic light switch

Coolant filtration system, block heater, air alcohol system, remote brake resvoir

There are many other odds and ends as well. The truck runs and drives great. I would
also not hesitate to drive it a 1000 miles tomorrow !

:-D

Attachments

rrrr

What did you use for the 24v to 12v setup? What wiper arms did you use for the civy conversion?
The deuce forum talks about the wiper set up, can't recall I'm traveling now just do a search and it will come up. Its widely discussed.

The converter I got I connected directly to the batteries with an in line fuse.
I wanted 15 amps min so I could run a laptop if needed. I don't remeber the type but get one with a rating to cover your needs. I have to turn mine off and on when I use it or it will drain the batteries since its connected directly. I powered the one in my deuce through the master switch.

When I get home if you don't find a suitable one post here and I'll take a picture of the setup and unit I got.

Carlo

I've done even more on my Deuce

I don't think there is another like it in the country.
Big mod's on it:

Hemmtt wheels with 395 tires

Gun mount and something to put in it !

Air O matic steering

EGT and boost gage in a custom dash

HMMWV drivers seat new steering wheel

Lock out hubs

LED's all around, LED marker lights just added with electronic light switch

Coolant filtration system, block heater, air alcohol system, remote brake resvoir

There are many other odds and ends as well. The truck runs and drives great. I would
also not hesitate to drive it a 1000 miles tomorrow !

:-D
This is more than more! I have a long way to go to get my M35 in shape. What year is yours? I also want to go to super singles but I cant buy them tires and wheels and have them shipped from the USA to Italy. I need to find the specs of the wheel and get it here. There are many wheel producers in Italia but I want to find the right back spacing and etc. first.
What was the power loss with the larger wheels? Did you add the wheels before the air asist stearing if so how was it to stear?
Thanks again and again!

rrrr

Mine is a 71 American General. The power loss is a little not too bad. Road speed went from around 47 to 57 mph so its good going down the highways here in the US and not cause traffic issues. The bigger tires and wheels didn't make the steering that much more difficult. You just need to be moving to turn the wheel. When I added the air o matic steering it made it much easier to maneuver the truck. You still need to be moving to turn the wheel but you can do it with one hand.

An upgrade you can do is pull the 9x20's off the rims and put 11x20's on and single the truck out and flip the rear hubs. I did that for the tire/wheel upgrade, looks great. The 11x20's will be much cheaper and no need for new rims. You should also get another 5 mph out of it. I added a speedometer adapter to compensate for the change in tire size. My speedometer is accurate with the setup. Flipping the hubs can be a good work out. Check out the deuce section for good detailed instruction.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

We recently decided that this will get you a week off. Don't let it happen again!

Carlo

Mine is a 71 American General. The power loss is a little not too bad. Road speed went from around 47 to 57 mph so its good going down the highways here in the US and not cause traffic issues. The bigger tires and wheels didn't make the steering that much more difficult. You just need to be moving to turn the wheel. When I added the air o matic steering it made it much easier to maneuver the truck. You still need to be moving to turn the wheel but you can do it with one hand.

An upgrade you can do is pull the 9x20's off the rims and put 11x20's on and single the truck out and flip the rear hubs. I did that for the tire/wheel upgrade, looks great. The 11x20's will be much cheaper and no need for new rims. You should also get another 5 mph out of it. I added a speedometer adapter to compensate for the change in tire size. My speedometer is accurate with the setup. Flipping the hubs can be a good work out. Check out the deuce section for good detailed instruction.
Thanks much. I will do some re search for photos of M35's with these 11x20's Would the 11x20's touch each other if I left them dual on the rear?

rrrr

Thanks much. I will do some re search for photos of M35's with these 11x20's Would the 11x20's touch each other if I left them dual on the rear?
Don't know if there is a rub issue. Most do the upgrade because its inexpensive, looks good and gives you about 4mph more for a little better cruise speed.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks