• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M932A2 and Mk-48 Cab conversion

agazza2

Side profile view

only had a chance to work on small items this weekend and start to prepare the back frame section for paint. When they refurbished the truck they put undercoating on the outside frame rails. The undercoating was had spider web cracks all over, and is not easy to remove. Moved it around the yard yesterday and took a few photos. Here is a side view of the truck. Hopefully will get a chance to work on some of the small items after work each day this week since the weather is going to be in the 60's.

Attachments

agazza2

Small items that I worked on lately

Only did a little work on the truck last weekend, and will do some this Sunday. I pulled the double check valve for the trailer as it was feeding air back through the Johnson brake vent when the normal brakes were applied. Blew air through all directions until all the dust/dirt came out. Brake now functions correctly.

Also installed a 7" back-up, and passenger side monitor camera, this will be helpful when going through the Phoenix traffic to monitor the cars in the blind spot on the passengers side. Even if you turn on your signal, there are those people that seem to think they can get around that side of you before you merge into the other lane.

Also working on making a bracket for the Linear actuator I bought to use as a electronic swift for the transfer case. I will just have one DPDT toggle switch for engage or disengage the transfer case. There's a photo of the location Linear Actuator will be mounted once I make the bracket.

Installed a solar panel on the roof that came of the Police Radar trailer I bought for the welder. Installed a new control box on the side of the dash. This goes out to the 24 volt circuit breakers, and also a 24 volt to 12 volt converter into a set of 12 volt circuit breakers to provide the camera system with 12 volts. And added the extra storage box to the drivers side fender.

20160228_105637s.jpg20160228_105545s.jpg20160228_102338s.jpg20160228_105138s.jpg20160228_105711s.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Vom

Off the wall question, but how hard would it be to remote mount the radiator, and modify the MK48 cab so the dog house "pass through" could be cut out and a floor fabbed in? Looking at making a rig along the lines of the global exploration rigs, only you know, not stupid expensive...

Vom

Not trying to hijack the thread btw, just curious if above the engine would work? And would a HEMTT cab be just way too expensive compared to a MK-48, or a big weight difference?

agazza2

Off the wall question, but how hard would it be to remote mount the radiator, and modify the MK48 cab so the dog house "pass through" could be cut out and a floor fabbed in? Looking at making a rig along the lines of the global exploration rigs, only you know, not stupid expensive...
I agree with Tornadogt that is could be done. You may want to find photos of a PLS cab. They had the majority of the center removed, but with the equivalent of a small console in the center for the steering shaft to go through. You may want to put the reservoir up at the same height.You would just have to run an electric fan. I have considered that when I was building mine to add additional space in the cab.

Vom

I agree with Tornadogt that is could be done. You may want to find photos of a PLS cab. They had the majority of the center removed, but with the equivalent of a small console in the center for the steering shaft to go through. You may want to put the reservoir up at the same height.You would just have to run an electric fan. I have considered that when I was building mine to add additional space in the cab.
Are the fan(s) on the A4 unit hydraulic? Just curious how plug and play that system would be with a build like this. Not that any of this is really plug and play, lol.

agazza2

Here are some photos of a LVRS cab - I think this would be a good option to do in the cab to make more room. I had the truck at a show last week, and put a For Sale sign in the window, as my wife want to have a baby, and thinks this project would never be done. She is right, there is always something more that I wanted to do to this vehicle. Yesterday Nick (a Talented Electro-Engineer) bought this truck. He has worked on the Rally Fighter and Flypmode military vehicle for DARPA. Now I know this vehicle will be going to the right person to finish the build. Nick will take over the build process from here. I am looking forward to his advances on this vehicle.

Welcome Nick to the new project. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the build
. :)

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best wishes with your upcoming family! Before you know it, you'll be able to undertake MV projects with your children and help them to build great memories that they can share with their kids someday.

Nick02

Allan's creation is quite impressive and a massive undertaking with limited resources, it is of excellent quality and I am very happy to have had the opportunity to purchase it from him.

A little bit about me, I got started fabricating when I wanted to solid axle swap my Dodge Dakota, it became an obsessive hobby of mine and I eventually made it into an expedition vehicle, I built most of it in a roommates backyard and with alot of help from fellow internet wheelers on Pirate 4X4.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1603-a-crawling-and-camping-2001-dodge-dakota/
Kota.jpg

I started with my first MV a few years ago when I bought a 1966 MB Unimog 404 Cartrography truck. It was a a gamble, no title, unknown condition, sitting for a decade. I spent a year getting it running, fixing the clutch, resealing it and making it reliable. Long story short I started living in it as my main residence, I continue to do so part time. I learned a lot about what I wanted out of me next vehicle living fulltime inside it and in doing so want something with some more creature comforts, like a toilet and shower! The mog has been a great truck, I keep it original outside and "modern" on the inside.
I have 150W of solar atop it, 200Ah of storage, a patch antenna / amp for long range wifi, 40" flatscreen, furniture, LED lighting, A/C and heater and a fullsize bed.
Mog woods.jpg

Unimog interior.jpg

I was doing the crazy vehicle thing on the side for a few years, my employer Local-Motors, recognized this and started LM Labs, a vehicular based hackerspace. I helped bob an M35A2 and other vehicular projects for community members. I was one of the employees there when it was a startup, number 11 to be exact, the company has blown up, gone corporate and now has 130 employees and four main locations.
I helped with the development of production units of the Rally Fighter and the XC2V DARPA sponsored crowd sourced Military Vehicle.
This is the Rally Fighter, it has been through 2 generations of development. LS3 powered, 15.5" of front travel, 18" rear, coilovers, Ford 9", power-steering, A/C with all the creature comforts.
t42.jpg

This is the XC2V, it uses the same sub chassis as the Rally Fighter, after testing it went missing for a couple years and got bought up by an Illinois police department from the GOV during the EPA ban. It was rolled during testing by the GOV so I repaired the body and prepared it for use as a SWAT vehicle and helped install some other surplus accessories on my own time.
Xc2V2.jpg
XC2V.jpg
A couple years ago, Local Motors completely shifted directions and decided to put forth all of it's efforts into DDM (Digital Direct manufacturing AKA: 3D printing cars) and cancelled the LM Labs, Rally Fighter / XC2V development. I was pretty good at hobby level EV's and conversions so I did electric drivetrain stuff at Local Motors. We used donor EV drive-trains and off the shelf EV conversion components, my job was to make the cars turn on and "work". We are now starting to build our own drivetrain stuff in-house and packaging it in complete 3D printed chassis but I still crave working with metal/my personal projects on my own time.
3D car 2.jpg
3D car.jpg
Local-Motors-LM3D-Swim-2.jpg

Last week was a crazy situation, I have a Cummins 6BT, Allison AT545, Bluebird schoolbus running gear swapped medium duty C60 Holmes 600 wrecker that was a personal project of mine. This was going to be the next, larger, expedition vehicle project. I was planning on placing a large cab-over camper atop it and running axletech 4000's.
wrecker.jpg
Randomly, it was bought right on the spot by a vehicle transport company that was passing through town. I have never had anything like that happen...

I needed a new platform quick. My buddy John James, a fellow Unimog enthusiast, saw Allan's truck for sale and posted it on Facebook, it was burning in my head for a week, Figure it was a good step forward in the right direction. Things worked out and I bought it!
Plan is to keep Allan's work as complete as possible, as it is perfect as-is, and build or source a camper (fifth wheel) to fit on the sucker as my new permanent residence. My housing situation right now is kinda screwed so I want to get in this thing as fast as possible.
all three.jpg
20160402_145946.jpg

Nick02

I had the chance to buy this monster of a creation from Allan, it is truly amazing that he built this thing in a storage facility making the best use of what resources he had.

But yea a breif background; internet addict turned mechanical engineer got a job building prototype tradeshow and production vehicles. Some vehicles I have worked on include every Rally-Fighter on the road today and a few interesting prototypes. I have helped a few friends solid axle swap a few trucks and was the first person to mount a pop-up camper trailer to the rear of a solid axle swapped rig http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1603-a-crawling-and-camping-2001-dodge-dakota/.

I have one MV, a 1966 MB Unimog 404 that I converted into a "stealth" living quarters for fun. Late last year I started living in side the Unimog full time. Life in a Unimog radio box can be interesting and I have come to the realization that I wanted more room. I was building up a 1964 6BTA AT545 swapped C60 into a "larger" expedition vehicle but Allan's truck popped up at the right time. Plan is to find a small fifth wheel trailer and mount it on the back creating my new permanent living quarters.

Last edited:

Nick02

Obtaining registration and insurance has been interesting.
I did the normal gulfway route, told them of Allan's existing policy and sent them detailed exterior photos, everything is all fine, the underwriter approved it and sent me the packet to fill out, took a week and a half to get to that point. They seem to not like to answer emails so I have to bump or call to get them to respond, its like pulling teeth.
I send them a cashiers check and some interior photos, they get back to me and said that the photos I sent appear to be a different truck and not a M932, I told them of the cab swap and they did not get back to me. More emails, and calls.. no return calls and zero email communication, I hope I can get my money back.

So I called up American Collectors, I have my Unimog insured there as well. The process took a day, I sent them photos, told them of the MK-48 cab swap. They asked some basic questions about the swap and considered it an unmodified vehicle since the factory steering gear, frame extensions and engine remained unmodified, the policy is $20 cheaper then Gulfway and ~$40 cheaper then my Unimog too.

For the transfer, the third party DMV (ASAP Title Services) I usually go to wanted nothing to do with it "we dont do military trucks" LOL! One of the managers shut down the lady doing my title transfer... He said military titles have to go to the "main DMV" I constantly reminded him that it now has a normal title and not an SF-97, but he didn't care, dude was on a power trip...

So, its getting late so I go to one of the hole in the wall check cashing places, they seemed cool with it but later threw a fit because of it "requiring emissions testing" I reminded them of ARS 49-542(J)(2)(k) and the manager overrode the system for the classic policy. :D
Took me 4 hrs but I finally got hard plates, yay!!

Last edited:

agazza2

Glad that they were finally able to get things done right. Not sure why they would even question a Arizona title. Very different than a SF-97. I guess they never wanted to change after the whole SF-97 last year. When I went through Gulfway they were very quick. But since they are just a broker for Travelers Insuranse they may be waiting on an answer from Travelers but that is no excuse not to return e-mails.

Still have to stop by and drop off the speedometer and tach cable extensions :)

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also used to use ASAP Title Services, and they also told me no more military vehicles. They would not say why, though.