• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934A2 Expandable Off-Road capabilities

Nomadic

Those dirt berms are what, about 2ft high? Wouldn't be worried about getting over them with any of the setups. The truck is more offroad capable than you will be initially comfortable with.

Mostly have to figure out how much space do you want/need, does it need to be indoors, and are you willing to setup a base camp or should it all be ready to go? How difficult of trails do you want to take the truck on and what type of terrain (heavily wooded, rocks, deep mud....).

Assuming that your terrain is similar to the mountains in Utah (rock/dirt trails, no deep mud or heavily wooded areas like the southeast) I wouldn't go bigger than a m934 or the m931 tractor with the shelter on it and a m105 in tow.

Some pics of the more flat terrain out here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?161052-Utah-offroad-trip-to-5-mile-pass I wouldn't hesitate to take a m934 with a m105 in tow down those trails but would not consider a longer trailer due to the tight turns.
That vid in your link puts some perspective on these trucks off-road that I haven't watched in a vid before. Your truck had some immensly low gears. Is it a manual? That thing could crawl something serious.

The setup Valence had is appealing. Those cargo truck beds are spacious. The close-up pics are good, they show just how much room there is. Adding an insulated layer under the existing canvas could help keep the heat in. Much like an insulated tipi. That truck/tool box could be used to secure my computer equipment and things that look pricy while in town getting supplies in the remote chance someone peeks in.

Can the canvas in good condition withstand 60-80MPH wind? It gets pretty windy anywhere near the Sierras. There may be a problem with the wind sucking the heat out too. I wouldn't know how to address that, need to keep the fingers warm to type and use the trackpad. But getting a cargo setup like that would keep me from going overboard initially and it would be mobile enough in the more open country.

Last edited:

Nomadic

What I've noticed with my 934 is that if you cant crawl an obstacle then gaining momentum to bounce up isn't an option. The truck is just too heavy to spool the engine like the first vid. Mine is the NA 855 and that may be the difference. Overall its a very impressive machine for its size and weight.
Sounds like you found a way to find the crawl limits on an obstacle with finesse. What do you think about the van part of the truck?

red

That vid in your link puts some perspective on these trucks off-road that I haven't watched in a vid before. Your truck had some immensly low gears. Is it a manual? That thing could crawl something serious.

The setup Valence had is appealing. Those cargo truck beds are spacious. The close-up pics are good, they show just how much room there is. Adding an insulated layer under the existing canvas could help keep the heat in. Much like an insulated tipi. That truck/tool box could be used to secure my computer equipment and things that look pricy while in town getting supplies in the remote chance someone peeks in.

Can the canvas in good condition withstand 60-80MPH wind? It gets pretty windy anywhere near the Sierras. There may be a problem with the wind sucking the heat out too. I wouldn't know how to address that, need to keep the fingers warm to type and use the trackpad. But getting a cargo setup like that would keep me from going overboard initially and it would be mobile enough in the more open country.
My wrecker has the 5 speed manual with the cummins NHC250 engine. 1st gear is 6:1 in the trans and despite the 38,000+ pounds it does well offroad so long as I stay away from mud. Slow speed crawling it will go just about anywhere. My truck is from the older m809 series.

Problem with the canvas is the height, too short inside to stand up all the way. Valence's truck is a m35a2 which has a 12ft bed, the 5 ton cargo trucks have a 14ft bed. You could pick up a cargo truck and place a s280 in the bed, which will leave a few feet to use as a porch.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20141117_162727.jpgOr an m818 or M931 and put an S280 in the bed of an M1082 to tow behind it.

If you haven't seen an M934 in person, you'll underestimate just how big they are. Here's a pic of an M934A1 towing my M925A1

Nomadic

I like the size of it from the picture. What did you think of it? The perspective is much bigger than an already big truck :D It would be fun to see one. Plan B is nearby, I've been thinking about going down there.

The downsides that have been mentioned might be worth the trade-off. Namely the sluggishness. I went from driving a 505HP C6 Z06 Corvette for 3 years that I beat the snot out of daily to a Chevy Volt. Talk about slow :D Some of the grades in the West like from Bishop, CA to Toms Place, CA (hwy 395?) I take at about 35-40 MPH. Otherwise the engine R's to the limit the whole time and I think I'm sucking the life out of it just to go the speed limit. The 4 banger has about 80HP and to get up the grade the traction battery has to be half full so the electric motor can draw from both the generator and the battery at the same time. The engine is mostly a generator, but it will power the wheels directly at times.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between Las Vegas and Phoenix on many of the uphill portions it was first gear and foot on the floor going 8mph.

For comparison, I towed a MK16 using an M923A2 over the same terrain at better than 35mph.

Nomadic

One run from Las Vegas to Phoenix the M934A2 was transporting 32,750 lbs and traveling 8 MPH. The other run a M923A2 transported 17,800 lbs more and drove ~27 MPH faster. What is interesting is the M934A2 has more power and had a much lighter load to transport, yet traveled immensely slower. At 8 MPH there wouldn't be much headwind on the van box to slow it down. I wonder if the slower run could be attributed to engine blow-by in the 8.3 Cummins or some other significant difference like gearing. There is something to be said for big jugs..err I mean there is no replacement for displacement.

frdtrkguy

Sounds like you found a way to find the crawl limits on an obstacle with finesse. What do you think about the van part of the truck?
Ive been using it to camp in and its been great. Not much for creature comforts but beats the **** out of tent camping. If your near Fernley your welcome to check it out and drive it if you want.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One run from Las Vegas to Phoenix the M934A2 was transporting 32,750 lbs and traveling 8 MPH. The other run a M923A2 transported 17,800 lbs more and drove ~27 MPH faster. What is interesting is the M934A2 has more power and had a much lighter load to transport, yet traveled immensely slower. At 8 MPH there wouldn't be much headwind on the van box to slow it down. I wonder if the slower run could be attributed to engine blow-by in the 8.3 Cummins or some other significant difference like gearing. There is something to be said for big jugs..err I mean there is no replacement for displacement.
Can you walk me through the math?
Sounds to me like the m934 is grossing close to 65k; m923 grossing just over 40k???

Nomadic

The figures include the weight of what was being towed and transported (van box), not the GVW.
First trip:
M934A1 van/shop unit 10,000 lbs
M925A1 curb weight 22,750 lbs (in tow)
Total weight 33,750 lbs

Second trip:
MK16 curb weight 40,550 lbs (in tow)

red

Please note the 8mph was an A1 with NA 855. It's an apples to oranges comparison, but still good data.
I'm wondering if the fuel pump or the transmission was not setup right on that m934a1. My m816 has gone up 4% grades with a m51a2 w/w on the hook at 25mph, 60-65k pounds and 395's for the tires. Couldn't get past the hole between 3rd/4th so stayed in 3rd. Fuel was turned up on my m816, pretty sure the 934 you owned had the fuel setup more restrictive (low pressure and higher fuel button) or the trans not set right.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if the fuel pump or the transmission was not setup right on that m934a1. My m816 has gone up 4% grades with a m51a2 w/w on the hook at 25mph, 60-65k pounds and 395's for the tires. Couldn't get past the hole between 3rd/4th so stayed in 3rd. Fuel was turned up on my m816, pretty sure the 934 you owned had the fuel setup more restrictive (low pressure and higher fuel button) or the trans not set right.
I didn't own it. I fetched it from GL for a buddy. It was box stock in every respect.

The M816 and M818s generally pull harder than the M923s with auto transmissions.

Back on topic - I think the two biggest issues for the M934 off road are going to be side slope, and high centering.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The 8.3 with the fuel turned up is like night and day. I never drove any of my van trucks with significant weight in them but my m936a2 wrecker weighs 36k and that goes pretty good with the fuel rate turned up.

frdtrkguy

Back on topic - I think the two biggest issues for the M934 off road are going to be side slope, and high centering.
In my experience, high centering hasn't been an issue. The open differentials unload and you lose traction before the obstacles really get big enough to hang the truck up. Mine has the 48 inch singles on it so it has a bit more clearance.

But it definitely get sketchy when the trail get off camber. I think I get worried before the rig is in any real danger of tipping, which is probably a good thing.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have dragged the tail hard more often than scratching the belly high-centering on my 927.

TB58

A thought to the crowd. What do you think would be better offroad and overall reliability; a M934, a M1079 with a m105 in tow, a M932 with a s250 on the deck and an M105 in tow, or a 923 with a S-280 in the bed?

All of them would be set up with a living area inside the van. The trailer would be for a motorcycle, bicycle, and other storage. The 934 the last 8 foot would be built in like a toy-hauler. the 923 I believe would have room in the bed aft of the shelter to store the motorcycle. This would be for long term living and I have no issues with cramped living space as long as I can store what I need.

TB58

Seems like a lot of trailer to drag around with how little I would put in it. or do you mean put the shelter in the trailer and use the truck for storage?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks