• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Wrecker Hydraulic Hoist Motor

70deuce

M35A2-AZ, thanks for the info and the excellent picture of the mod. Were you blowing out the high pressure seal right behind the shaft bearing (gear case side)?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2-AZ, thanks for the info and the excellent picture of the mod. Were you blowing out the high pressure seal right behind the shaft bearing (gear case side)?
Glad I could help, Yes I was blowing out the seals on the winch side and filling the winch with fluid.
It was blow when I got it and had it repaired and used it two times and it did it again.
Been OK so far.

70deuce

I had hydraulic/gear oil spewing out of the gear case vent on top of the gear case. That motor had been replaced during rebuild and looked new. Thanks again for the info.

SLOrazorsedge

Albert, I was finally able to get out to my truck today (rebuilt 2010 A1 version), no plug on the bottom of the motor? Any idea if the plug version is an updated or older version from the non-plug hydro motors? Now I'm wondering what do do about the motor over pressurizing as you've described?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Albert, I was finally able to get out to my truck today (rebuilt 2010 A1 version), no plug on the bottom of the motor? Any idea if the plug version is an updated or older version from the non-plug hydro motors? Now I'm wondering what do do about the motor over pressurizing as you've described?
I think the one with the plug on the bottom is a newer Parker motor.
If your motor is working ok and the older one with out the plug I would just not reverse it a lot real fast.

Albert

tubamlb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
Had a leaking boom Motor, 936, took it to a shop that replaced all o rings and seals , they said the motor had the wrong type of seal , Army rebuild

Cost $160.00 ,

MLB

SLOrazorsedge

Tub, I have a M936A1 Red River rebuild with a boom motor that leaked since purchase. Do you have any pics of the R&R of the boom motor? I've ignored the leak as the R&R looked to be a major pita.....

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My M936A1's hoist motor has leaked since I got it. But it has also always made a heck of a racket when I operate it, so I don't think it just needs new seals... I have a hunch that once I get inside, I'm going to find some ugly carnage, and end up replacing it. My motor has a drain plug on the bottom, so I think I should add a drain line even if it's rebuildable.

I see that one of the surplus vendor sites lists used motors for $375. Since I think my motor is probably toast, do y'all think it might be a good option for me to get one of those, replace its seals right away, and put that on my truck? I haven't worked on a hydraulic motor before, and I'm open to suggestions on the best approach here.

The TM says to drain the hydraulic tank before removing the motor. I think I should at least partially drain it before taking off that return line fitting to add a motor drain line, but would it otherwise be possible to swap out the hoist motor without draining the tank by keeping the disconnected tubes up high to prevent oil from siphoning out of the system?

IMG_0526.jpgIMG_0529.jpgIMG_0530.jpgIMG_0532.jpg

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow - sounds like my truck, the hoist pump or its drive line (not sure which, lots of fluid in the gear housing) on the hoist sounds terrible and has since i bought it, but no leaks so far, i was going to run it till it misbehaved. i believe any local hydraulic shop can rebuild them, if not trashed. have not priced it to see if a rebuild by a shop (or by me) is more or less than an outright replacement. keep posting your out come... i will probably be repeating it....LOL

tubamlb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
Hoist motor , Replace with used unit or have it checked out with HYD shop, It cost me $160.00 for tear down and rebuild
You do not drain fluid

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Any idea how much the motor weighs? I only have two hands, so I might need to kludge up a field-expedient "soldier B".

My motor sounds like a metal bucket full of rocks when I run the hoist, and I don't think that's right.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I don't think I'll get around to working on my wrecker's hoist motor until sometime this summer, but I couldn't wait to do an experiment to see if I can put a hook above the motor to stand in for "soldier B". I wasn't sure if my tractor's loader could lift high enough. It looks like it'll do the job. Oh, and my orange friend there is one of the things that has been keeping me distracted from my green friends for the last year.

IMG_0544.jpgIMG_0542.jpg

KN6KXR

FYI, If your new Parker motor has a allen plug in the bottom side of it, you need add a case drain to it. If not you will be replacing it soon. I had my motor repaired two times before they told me it needs a case drain.
Wow. This should be sticked or something. Why? Because I think it just saved my butt! Lemme 'splain.....

I drove my new to me M936A2 across the country to home and stopped at family Thanksgiving on the way. I was letting the kids play with the crane and noted hydraulic fluid leaking out the weep hole at the bottom of the first gear reduction case from the motor. Every time the hoist motor ran it would dripdripdrip. So I secured it and ran it just a bit when I got home. Yep leaking. Not out the worm drive case, or the top of the first gear reduction: out of a weep hole at the bottom of the cover.

So I did a search and up comes this. I pulled the plug, made a 1/4" copper return line and compression fitting from what I have around, slid some hose on the end and just ran it in the vent (to see if it worked). Then I had the neighbor, the wife, a friend have some fun with it. And it stopped weeping out! Couple residual drips was it. Still have to open it up and take a look, change the oil.... but it looks like it solved the issue!

I think this just saved me from blowing the seals out were I to go use it for a lift. So THANK YOU for this!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks