• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 air filter modification question.

Ddmk18

I have a m931a2 but I am putting the winch and hydraulics on it. I have a 25 gallon tank I want to mount where the stock air box is. Has anyone used either of these k&n filters? I was going to mount it behind the hard top.

Attachments

Hawssie

No but they look like they would work great. Not bad price either. Should help with the CFM too. I didn't realize these were available. Would be perfect for us. The bright and chromie guys wouldn't like them.

FullSpecial

I have a m931a2 but I am putting the winch and hydraulics on it. I have a 25 gallon tank I want to mount where the stock air box is. Has anyone used either of these k&n filters? I was going to mount it behind the hard top.
Oh does that come under "Note to Self".

Ddmk18

I couldn't find it either. I am going to call them and find out. I was hoping maybe someone had used one for something and would have had some feedback on it.

MO MV man

I have a pdf file from Donaldson filters listing a SEA of diesel engines and their airflow requirements.
They list the Cummins 6CTA8.3 as 632cfm.
Their rating is for 250hp at 2500 rpms so I'm sure a slightly lower airflow would suffice (none of us do that sort of rpm).

I just looked up a couple of the cross-referenced options (WIX 46755 and Donaldson P537453) and they both rate their versions at 840 cfm!! HOLY smokes!
They are both a LOT cheaper, too. ;)

Last edited:

Ddmk18

Ok thank you. I just talked to the folks at K&N they were extremely helpful. They actually flowed them to check the cfm for me, the ones I have listed flowed in the 600-650 range. But she told me that with 8.3L cummins turning 2500 rpm and 30lbs of boost I would need around 1200 cfm, so they flowed there larger series filter setup 38-2000s and said it would flow 1200cfm and have no restriction for my application.

Hawssie

I figured if its K&N and there marketing to Big truck market there product better flow enough for a lowly 8.3L when the average over the road truck uses 12-15 liter engines.